Prefilling MFP?

Options

Replies

• thesimsisters
    thesimsisters Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I prefill out my MFP each evening for the next day. The only thing I do not plan out ahead are my snacks unless for some reason I know I want to have something for sure the next day. But usually, I just decided my snacks at the time of based on what I want to have and how many calories I have left.

At work we only get paid twice a month, so I plan out our meals basically two weeks at at time when we go grocery shopping. So I already know what we are having each day for those weeks ahead of time. So it's easy to prefill as it is already preplanned out. If anything changes or I want something different, then I just adjust as I go.
  • dominoid747
    dominoid747 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do it very often if I'm working. I know what I'll be eating as I've brough a packed lunch in so I add it on the bus on the way in to work to save time later. If I don't eat everything then I can always remove it later (it's rare I don't eat all my lunch though, I didn't get this size by accident!)
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Yep. Failing to plan is planning to fail. I do my best to stick to the script. I also enjoy looking at other people's diaries for meal ideas.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Every day where possible.

I find it to be a little more difficult on the weekends.

This is me, too, I think because I'm on my phone, and it's easier to see my macros laid out in front of me from the computer. I get everything as close as possible before my workout, because that will bring the numbers down a little.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    That's what I do...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I do it the night before, unless I know we will be out for the day and not home.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Does anyone prefill your food into MFP on a daily basis? Sort of like mapping out your caloric intake and trying to stick to it? I find myself doing this and then if something changes I just update it. I was wondeirng if anyone has any comments/concerns/advice on this?

Yep, do this every day. Find that pre-tracking helps keep me on track, but it very easy to change/update if I decide to eat something else during the day. :smile:
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Always! I usually log breakfast before I shower, then log lunch & dinner at work. Then I know what my snacking room is. And I'll pre-log foods when I'm going to a restaurant or doing fancy food with friends so that I don't get something TOO bad for me or massively overeat.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I do this if I am expecting to eat something high-calorie...say, fast food or takeout pizza. I enter the amount I expect to eat and see how I need to plan the rest of the day accordingly to allow for my treat.

But I don't do this every single day, no...there are others who swear by that method (pre-logging every meal)
  • MalS0906
    MalS0906 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    haven't done it yet, but fantastic idea!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I do it most days. Dinner is the most important meal to me, and I have to have something delicious to look forward to. I go ahead and log my breakfast (which is the same thing most days) and dinner, then I know how many calories I have left over for lunch and snacks.
  • bobkat80
    bobkat80 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Yes I try to do this everyday to help me keep on track. Sometimes I do it the night before, and sometimes while I'm having my morning coffee. It has helped me with meal planning and with meeting my macros.
  • cserg1
    cserg1 Posts: 8
    Options
    I try to for weekdays since that gives me an idea of how many calories I can eat once I get home.
    On weekends it's impossible, too many variations.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I had been doing that since I started with MFP, except Saturdays and Sundays but It had been working just fine for me.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    i totally do that. makes it easier to eat during the day if i don't have to think about what i'm going to eat right at meal time.
  • MrsJennaKwasniewski
    MrsJennaKwasniewski Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yay! Thank you all for the feedback. Makes me feel good knowing I am doing something that alot of successful people are doing too!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Sometimes.

I have got quite good at wandering around a shop etc and thinking "ok, I need 30g more protein today and I've got 500 calories left, so I think I'll have 'x'" - however if I've got food around I'll often pre-plan a chunk of the day. I'll more likely pre-fill it if it's not food I'm used to, but that I've already got.

Of course, doesn't mean you can't switch it around, but may make it easier to stick to plan.
  • Lifts4IceCream
    Lifts4IceCream Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I typically do it first thing in the morning or the night before while preparing my meals for the day or next day. I try to have every meal in MFP at the start of the day so I know if I can fit in any energy-dense foods.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I do on occasion, like when I plan to go to a Mexican restaurant that evening. I know I will want a serving of tortilla chips and an order of spinach quesadillas, so I will log it first thing in the morning so that I make sure to eat light throughout the day.

I often pre-log a glass of red wine and a 100-150 calorie dessert :)
  • seashell709
    seashell709 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP in Jan I did track all my food the day before. I did this the night before and packed my breakfast and lunch to work. I also plan my dinners for the week so I have some idea of how many calories I need. I love to be able to do it the night before because it takes out the guess work for myself and I know what I can eat with anywhere between 200-500 calories available to have treats at the end of the day.