Dog people...c'mere!!

Options
124»

Replies

• Lauren4974
    Lauren4974 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Our 1 yr old Boxer is a chewer as well but he HATES kong toys. He'll only play with squeeky toys. I don't know why... If it's not stuffed with something squeeky he doesn't want to play with it... go figure! So I just stick to the clearance bin at petsmart. His toys only last him a few days before the stuffing is all over the house and the squeeker is lost among the couch or under the table. But as long as it keeps him happy, I'm happy LOL.
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My two are voracious chewers for being smallish dogs. They have been unable to destroy the heavy rope toys and they bone shaped ones that uncrew so you can put flavored disks on them. I think the trick is to get a ridiculously big toy for the dog. This makes it more challenging. Good luck, Ruby!
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My lab mix is only 55 lbs and can destroy things that are supposed to be indestructible. The only things that last around my house are actual bones. Someone gave me cow hooves, like 2 whole freakin' cow feet, and they freak me out, so I haven't given them to my dogs, and therefore can't report on them.

actual bones...mmmmm...different topic...have you tried antlers? Deer antlers that is....

No, not yet. They wouldn't freak me out as bad as the cow feet. They're really disgusting. I should take a picture and send it to you. I'm talking about the bones like JessG11 gets her pointer, and not the one in her avatar. That's Bill Murray. :tongue:

Made me giggle!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    My dog isn't very big, but she's a powerful chewer. Nylabones are her favorite. They have different flavours and shapes and she has lots to choose from. She likes elk antlers, but I think they stink so she doesn't get them often, I will also buy her raw llama bones that she loves. Squeaky toys & stuffed toys are wrecked within minutes, so sometimes I feel I should just start handing her $20 bills to rip up. She has so much fun doing it though that I'll buy her a new toy every now and then. :laugh:

Kong toys don't interest her (unless there's peanut butter) but she even pulled chunks out of a kong once, so I know she could destroy them if she wanted to.
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My husband has a few thousand antlers in our garage. Don't they splinter????

I use whole antlers, not those that were split down the middle. I have not seen any of the dogs splinter an antler in the nearly 1.5 years we've been using them. As with any hard chew, there is a risk of the dog breaking a tooth, but I order thick ones that they cannot bear down on, and so far no one has chipped or broken any teeth.

Bones that splinter are cooked bones. :)
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I have a German Shepard mixed with (we think) Doberman. I personally think he is mixed with idiot.
    Anyway, he enjoys pulling the oranges off of the tree and chewing/tossing them around.
    It is like I have a magic ball growing tree or something.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I have a German Shepard mixed with (we think) Doberman. I personally think he is mixed with idiot.

LOL! That's hysterical!:laugh:
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I have a corgi (named Waffles!) and pretty much have settled with unstuffed toys and heavy duty ones like Kong (the black ones for super chewers, not the red ones), I also have this big rubber soccer ball looking thing I got from Target and he LOVES to play tug with and it's such a strange shape I don't think it occurs to him to chew on it. Another favorite of the Waffle is a chasing a laser pointer about, no chewing there :)

We also do a lot of big chew bones. I get bulk rawhides and bully sticks from Costco and whenever I notice he's chewed the last one to a nub (can be a couple of days depending on his level of boredom) and that usually saves the toys from utter destruction.