Sugar and processed food good or bad?

Options
This is a simple question open to all response:

Do you personally think that added sugar products and processed food are good to eat or bad to eat (in any level).

Thanks.

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No foods are inherently good or bad. Why would they be?

The idea that any individual food can be inherently good or bad is ludicrous, and represents an unhealthy way to think about food.

It is an overall diet that is either good or bad for an individual.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    They're fine as long as they don't make up your entire diet.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    No foods are inherently good or bad. Why would they be?

I've never been attacked by my food in my sleep either. Never has that cookie jumped off the shelf and slapped me in the face nor has it ever told me a hurtful lie.

Strangely enough, it's just food and when you take nutritional values into account, they can easily be fit into a healthy, fulfilling diet.

:drinker:
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    They taste good. So my vote is for good.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I've never been attacked by my food in my sleep either. Never has that cookie jumped off the shelf and slapped me in the face nor has it ever told me a hurtful lie.

What about Chex Mix though?
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

What about Chex Mix though?

Not even that revolting tasting food. Still a food even if I give it the evil eye when I pass by it.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    It's a relative thing to me. Vitamin D is generally considered to be good, but you can take enough of it for it to be toxic, so at that point, it would be bad.

I find a lot of added sugars to not be beneficial. They are empty calories. If you're struggling to eat enough, they likely would be beneficial in that context. But, for most on this site, that's not a problem. Most struggle with eating too much, so for those folks, they're going to be more detrimental.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If the only answers allowed are good or bad, then I'd choose bad.

But it really depends on the food. What type of processing, what is the end product's ingredients and nutritional breakdown? How much sugar was added, to what was it added, what is the end product's ingredients and nutritional breakdown?

And most importantly, how much of it are you eating and what else do you consume?
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I *personally* think there are a lot of processed foods that could do with much less added sugar. Sometimes when I have a soda for a *treat*, I cut it with seltzer b/c I don't necessarily want THAT much sugar.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Seriously OP, you haven't learned this yet?
  • lindsey1979
    Options

It came about from another thread. I've found a shocking amount of people, on a fitness website nonetheless, who talk about how everything is fine. It's all the same. There are no differences with processed food, added sugar, chemicals, etc. Just eat in moderation.

Although I agree with the moderation approach as being a good rule of thumb for many, I've been just shocked by some folks that say it's all the same. I'm starting to agree with some other users that such people are not true MFP users, but paid food corp. reps as I can't imagine how such outlandish claims otherwise make any sense.
  • jonnythan
    Options

It came about from another thread. I've found a shocking amount of people, on a fitness website nonetheless, who talk about how everything is fine. It's all the same. There are no differences with processed food, added sugar, chemicals, etc. Just eat in moderation.

Although I agree with the moderation approach as being a good rule of thumb for many, I've been just shocked by some folks that say it's all the same. I'm starting to agree with some other users that such people are not true MFP users, but paid food corp. reps as I can't imagine how such outlandish claims otherwise make any sense.

I don't think anyone at all says that everything is fine or that it's all the same. Literally no one says that.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

I don't think anyone at all says that everything is fine or that it's all the same. Literally no one says that.

Yes, there are people that literally have said just that. It must be painful to realize that you're omniscient.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Sugar good. Processed food good.

If it was bad what would we eat??
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals...

For weight loss only - no food is particularly good/bad/better/worse than others. Calories are calories and as long as you fit it in your calorie goals, everything is on the same playing field.

But certainly some foods are more nutrient dense than others, and/or help fill out a healthy macro profile better than others. So if your goals are more geared toward overall health than merely weight loss, certainly some foods are more beneficial to that end than others.

ETA - not to say you need to cut out the "not as beneficial foods" - just enjoy them in moderation.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Yes, there are people that literally have said just that. It must be painful to realize that you're omniscient.

Bahahaha jonnythan, you must be kidding. All you do in the forums is go on and on about how everything is fine and all foods are the same.
  • molarbear31
    Options
    Taste: GOOD
    For your health: BAD
  • jonnythan
    Options

Please link to someone who has said that. I've never seen it on MFP, ever.

I've seen people say that calories are all that matter for weight loss/gain. That is a fact. It's not all that matters for body composition and health.

I've never seen anyone say that "calories are all that matter" and that "it's all the same."

If you care to prove me wrong, I will apologize.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Moderation, moderation, moderation.... the key to just about everything in life.
This discussion has been closed.