Sugar and processed food good or bad?

Options

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    What I find bad is the human propensity for trying to fit all conditions of life in to only two categories. Dichotomies only exist in your head.

and, in.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Bahahaha jonnythan, you must be kidding. All you do in the forums is go on and on about how everything is fine and all foods are the same.

This is a simple lie.

I've never said all foods are the same, ever. Not once.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Seriously OP, you haven't learned this yet?

It came about from another thread. I've found a shocking amount of people, on a fitness website nonetheless, who talk about how everything is fine. It's all the same. There are no differences with processed food, added sugar, chemicals, etc. Just eat in moderation.

Although I agree with the moderation approach as being a good rule of thumb for many, I've been just shocked by some folks that say it's all the same. I'm starting to agree with some other users that such people are not true MFP users, but paid food corp. reps as I can't imagine how such outlandish claims otherwise make any sense.

I don't think anyone at all says that everything is fine or that it's all the same. Literally no one says that.

Yes, there are people that literally have said just that. It must be painful to realize that you're omniscient.

I think you misunderstand the context, which isn't suprising.

In regards to weightloss - doesn't make a difference. In regards to health, a different topic.

Edit - And even in regards to health one must look at overall diet. You can't judge one item of food alone.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

It came about from another thread. I've found a shocking amount of people, on a fitness website nonetheless, who talk about how everything is fine. It's all the same. There are no differences with processed food, added sugar, chemicals, etc. Just eat in moderation.

Although I agree with the moderation approach as being a good rule of thumb for many, I've been just shocked by some folks that say it's all the same. I'm starting to agree with some other users that such people are not true MFP users, but paid food corp. reps as I can't imagine how such outlandish claims otherwise make any sense.

I don't think anyone at all says that everything is fine or that it's all the same. Literally no one says that.

Are you serious?? People say everything is fine a LOT. They even say that if you don't think everything is fine then you have an unhealthy relationship with food.

I haven't seen anyone say "it's all the same" but I have seen people say sugar and an apple are the same. I once had someone tell me that a McD hamburger was healthy becuase there studies showing carbs, protein and fat were healthy.

People say all kinds of crazy things on these forums.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Let's hear your definition of "processed" OP - that's a very wide scope!

For example does it include:
    Cooked, peeled, pressed, trimmed, frozen, dried, pickled, salted, made into a preserve, mixed with other ingredients.....
  • molarbear31
    Options
    ....but then again, food with no sugar (such as diet coke, low calorie yogurts, ect) are filled with carcinogenics such as aspartame so, even the 'good', unprocessed, no-added sugar foods can be BAD. I'm guessing, its the choice you're going to make between wanting to risk health problems such as diabetes and obesity (if eaten without moderation) or the risk of cancer? Too strong?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    ....but then again, food with no sugar (such as diet coke, low calorie yogurts, ect) are filled with carcinogenics such as aspartame so, even the 'good', unprocessed, no-added sugar foods can be BAD. I'm guessing, its the choice you're going to make between wanting to risk health problems such as diabetes and obesity (if eaten without moderation) or the risk of cancer? Too strong?

Aspartame is not a carcinogenic. Sorry.
  • molarbear31
    Options
    My bad :blushing: that's my ignorance there...throughout my childhood I always heard my mother say all this stuff about carcinogenics and she'd refer to aspartame a lot, so I put two and two together. Duh. Should have done my research beforehand. But the point's still valid - additives such as are still not 'good for you'.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    plI2XsN.gif
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

Yep, just got my check from General Mills today. The check from Frito-lays comes on the 1st of the month. BTW, I'm trying to get on with Coca-Cola - I hear they pay the big bucks.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Yep, just got my check from General Mills today. The check from Frito-lays comes on the 1st of the month.

How'd you get that gig, cause I could use the extra money.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Moderation, moderation, moderation.... the key to just about everything in life.
    I totally agree with this, but if everyone could handle moderation of sugar or fatty foods, would anyone be overweight? So, based on that, I personally do believe I can label some foods as "good" or "bad" (for me, and for others), because most people have a trigger food that they cannot just have a small amount of without overindulging.:ohwell:
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

No one says this. Stop exaggerating to make your point sound better. Most people that preach that there's no such thing as 'bad' foods make the distinction that if you've taken your macros and micros into consideration, have met them that you can then indulge in something without it being 'bad'.

If people ask if calories are the only thing you need to think about to lose weight, you will get affirmative answers. If you then ask those same people if calories are the only thing you have to consider in order to have a healthy diet, those same people will tell you no.
    Red herring much?
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Moderation, moderation, moderation.... the key to just about everything in life.
    I totally agree with this, but if everyone could handle moderation of sugar or fatty foods, would anyone be overweight? So, based on that, I personally do believe I can label some foods as "good" or "bad" (for me, and for others), because most people have a trigger food that they cannot just have a small amount of without overindulging.:ohwell:

Sounds like more of a psychological problem, than the food itself - right?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Let's hear your definition of "processed" OP - that's a very wide scope!

For example does it include:
    Cooked, peeled, pressed, trimmed, frozen, dried, pickled, salted, made into a preserve, mixed with other ingredients.....

What the heck is happening in your ticker? :laugh: :noway: :huh:
  • bcattoes
    Options

It makes no sense to ignore the psychological aspects of diet and weight loss. The brain is a part of the body too.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    post-38561-dr-cox-man-not-caring-gif-zero-c4IE.gif
  • LolBroScience
    Options

It makes no sense to ignore the psychological aspects of diet and weight loss. The brain is a part of the body too.

It's a personal problem if you lack willpower and the ability to control portions.

I can overeat on steak, chicken, fish etc. all of which are all "nutrient dense" foods and still end up becoming overweight. So they are now labeled bad foods by that same school of thought?
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    For some, yes...
    blue_meditation.gif
    ...for others, no.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

Absolutely...food is very emotional for many people...

My point is this....if eating something is only ok in small amounts, then I would label it as bad if its something that triggers me to eat large amounts (for example..not everyone can eat just one little slice of pizza, or 10 potato chips, then walk away satisfied). Emotions aside....eating a whole pizza, or eating half a bag of chips in one sitting, IS bad, because these are not "healthy' choices
This discussion has been closed.