Stop demeaning female bodybuilders

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think stop demeaning people period is a good idea.

I'm a natural female bodybuilder and I get called gross. It doesn't bother me because I purposefully work towards what I have. I think it is harder to shame fit people than it is out of shape people because fit people tend to not feel shame about the way they look.

Either way I think it speaks a lot about people who say nasty things about others. It's none of my business what others think of me or say behind my back.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I just find it amusing that people get all "ew gross to much" commenty on lifters- where as the second I say- ew gross a fat person- it's hell or high water- there is a double standard- it's okay to hate people who are developed to a point that's outside the "norm"- but being overweight for whatever reason is okay.

I also find it amusing that I suspect those people don't realize- or have a clue- we don't care in the slightest what those said people say about us- it's hard work to get there- it doesn't happen by accident- a

Lions do not concern themselves with the opinions with sheep.

Period.

It's your body- you can do whatever you want with it.

This is my body- and I don't' give a flying fak if you like what I'm doing to it or not. We don't have time for that- we are too busy eating raw egg smoothies and squatting our faces off :D
    Either way I think it speaks a lot about people who say nasty things about others. It's none of my business what others think of me or say behind my back.
    no kidding.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    good read :)
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that it's perfectly ok to put down somebody who has spent years dedicating their lives to being healthy, fit, and strong, but for some reason it's not ok to make a comment about somebody who won't control what they eat, won't do a little bit of exercise, and don't care about their health. Well, not funny ha ha, but funny sad.

But I do agree. No need to belittle anybody about their choices.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Natural female bodybuilders are not gross. I think they look amazing. The steroid ones, male and female both, can be a bit iffy at times. Still not gross, though. And besides, natural or steroid-enhanced, all body builders can kick my wimpy butt, so it pays to be nice and non-judgmental.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    How about we not demean anyone's body?
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    What's the purpose of even posting this? It's like we're trying to find a reason to have an argument about different physiques.

I think it is awesome that some people choose to put that type of dedication into their physique and achieve their goals, but most people probably don't care. I've seen bodybuilder type women at the gym and ain't nobody checking for them.

In any case, could prove to provide some late afternoon entertainment at work today.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    What's the purpose of even posting this? It's like we're trying to find a reason to have an argument about different physiques.

I think it is awesome that some people choose to put that type of dedication into their physique and achieve their goals, but most people probably don't care. I've seen bodybuilder type women at the gym and ain't nobody checking for them.

In any case, could prove to provide some late afternoon entertainment at work today.

To educate...because stuff like this still runs rampant on the internet...
    Muscular wo=MEN are homely! Let's be honest, unless you're gay, you will notice that the harder a wo=MAN works out, the UGLIER she gets! Atheletic wo=MEN are attractive, meaning wo=MEN who lift moderately heavy weights. wo=MEN who are hard core athletes however look too male ish!

A comment from this Satirical article
    http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2013/06/10-reasons-why-heavy-lifting-is.html?spref=fb&m=1&fb_source=message

ETA: I agree tho demeaning period is wrong...oh and I am not a body builder..I do lift heavy and appreciate the work it would take to get that type of body and I am humbled by those that go that route.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Nevermind. Nothing to see here. Move along people.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I think stop demeaning people period is a good idea.
    +1
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I do what I want!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've heard plenty of women say the same about the serious male bodybuilders.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Amen!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    amazing article!

i don't think it's going to stop body shaming - but that's ingrained in our society by now. sadly.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Valid point. Male bodybuilders put in serious amounts of work as well.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

And that's also wrong.

Now me, I like me a buff man. One of my favorite twitch.TV streamers is a natural body builder (amateur) and a large chunk of his allure? Dat body. *fans self*
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Did you just demean female bodybuilders in a post asking to stop demeaning female bodybuilders? As the article mentioned (did you read it?), female bodybuilders work very had and they do not care if anyone is checking them out (I'm assuming this is what you mean by "checking for them") at the gym.

Also, most of us to not go to the gym to be checked out.

Cultural dissonance.

To "check for someone" is not the same as "checking someone out." In this case, it means that nobody is coming for them, nobody is trying to belittle them, call them out, harrangue them, harrass them, demean them...fill in your choice description of a situation in which a person is being given a hard time or being discussed in a negative manner.

Culturally-rooted slang, not fodder for thread fire.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    "When cutting, I am looking at around 1400 to 1000."

If any female competitor, regardless of division, is eating that low [with increased activity] she needs to fire her 'nutrition coach.'
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I just find it amusing that people get all "ew gross to much" commenty on lifters- where as the second I say- ew gross a fat person- it's hell or high water- there is a double standard- it's okay to hate people who are developed to a point that's outside the "norm"- but being overweight for whatever reason is okay.

I also find it amusing that I suspect those people don't realize- or have a clue- we don't care in the slightest what those said people say about us- it's hard work to get there- it doesn't happen by accident- a

Lions do not concern themselves with the opinions with sheep.

Period.

It's your body- you can do whatever you want with it.

This is my body- and I don't' give a flying fak if you like what I'm doing to it or not. We don't have time for that- we are too busy eating raw egg smoothies and squatting our faces off :D
    no kidding.

QFT