Stop demeaning female bodybuilders

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What's the purpose of even posting this? It's like we're trying to find a reason to have an argument about different physiques.

I think it is awesome that some people choose to put that type of dedication into their physique and achieve their goals, but most people probably don't care. I've seen bodybuilder type women at the gym and ain't nobody checking for them.

In any case, could prove to provide some late afternoon entertainment at work today.

Did you just demean female bodybuilders in a post asking to stop demeaning female bodybuilders? As the article mentioned (did you read it?), female bodybuilders work very had and they do not care if anyone is checking them out (I'm assuming this is what you mean by "checking for them") at the gym.

Also, most of us to not go to the gym to be checked out.

Cultural dissonance.

To "check for someone" is not the same as "checking someone out." In this case, it means that nobody is coming for them, nobody is trying to belittle them, call them out, harrangue them, harrass them, demean them...fill in your choice description of a situation in which a person is being given a hard time or being discussed in a negative manner.

Culturally-rooted slang, not fodder for thread fire.

Ah. Thank you. I apologize. I had never head that term before.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    Derp.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    "When cutting, I am looking at around 1400 to 1000."

If any female competitor, regardless of division, is eating that low [with increased activity] she needs to fire her 'nutrition coach.'

Truth! It means they didn't start cutting early enough.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Bumping this. I want to show the article to some people
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My goal is to drop my body fat so I'm in a healthy bmi, then my goal after that is build some good muscle all over. I admire women with a lot of body muscle it looks great and shows a lot of dedication and will power

Just throwing this out there....

Rather than getting to a healthy BMI first....do the work now to maintain the muscle you have now rather than sacrificing it to TRY to build muscle later. It's a whole hell of a lot easier to maintain muscle than it is to build it........for males. It's exponentially harder for women.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    What's the purpose of even posting this? It's like we're trying to find a reason to have an argument about different physiques.

I think it is awesome that some people choose to put that type of dedication into their physique and achieve their goals, but most people probably don't care. I've seen bodybuilder type women at the gym and ain't nobody checking for them.

In any case, could prove to provide some late afternoon entertainment at work today.

Did you just demean female bodybuilders in a post asking to stop demeaning female bodybuilders? As the article mentioned (did you read it?), female bodybuilders work very had and they do not care if anyone is checking them out (I'm assuming this is what you mean by "checking for them") at the gym.

Also, most of us to not go to the gym to be checked out.

Cultural dissonance.

To "check for someone" is not the same as "checking someone out." In this case, it means that nobody is coming for them, nobody is trying to belittle them, call them out, harrangue them, harrass them, demean them...fill in your choice description of a situation in which a person is being given a hard time or being discussed in a negative manner.

Culturally-rooted slang, not fodder for thread fire.

Just gonna quote this in case it's missed the first time.

I second the idea that all forms of body shaming are equally terrible.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    NM.
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Edited reply in response to edited post.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

I'm not even a bodybuilder, but I guarantee the way I look when I'm at the gym with my hair in a bun, bright red face and sweat dripping everywhere that no one is checking me out, either.

When I'm outside of the gym with my hair pretty and cute clothes and normal-colored face, it's a different story. I'm not at the gym to get checked out. I'm at the gym to get in shape and burn calories.

See above for clarification of misinterpreted slang.

LOL I wonder how many times people are going to do that in this thread.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    My goal is to drop my body fat so I'm in a healthy bmi, then my goal after that is build some good muscle all over. I admire women with a lot of body muscle it looks great and shows a lot of dedication and will power

Just throwing this out there....

Rather than getting to a healthy BMI first....do the work now to maintain the muscle you have now rather than sacrificing it to TRY to build muscle later. It's a whole hell of a lot easier to maintain muscle than it is to build it........for males. It's exponentially harder for women.

After 50 mins of cardio I do 10 mins of resistance alternating upper and lower each day, I do this 5 times a week. I have been upping the weights over time.

I should have been more clear sorry. What I meant was after I drop a good amount of body fat I will be doing mostly weights and reduce my cardio. By weights at this point I mean some serious deadlifting. :happy:

You should consider flipping those. 50 minutes strength 10 minutes cardio. Actually I would do 40/20. 10 minutes 5 times a week isn't going to do much to preserve your lean mass. I started seriously lifting when my body fat was still high and it was a really good decision. You won't accidentally look like me.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

I'm not even a bodybuilder, but I guarantee the way I look when I'm at the gym with my hair in a bun, bright red face and sweat dripping everywhere that no one is checking me out, either.

When I'm outside of the gym with my hair pretty and cute clothes and normal-colored face, it's a different story. I'm not at the gym to get checked out. I'm at the gym to get in shape and burn calories.

LOL. Some of use just don't get out much. :blushing: :frown:
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Now days It seems to be ok to demean, belittle fit people "fit shame". Look at what happened to "Fit Mom" or the pregnant crossfitter. Just read an article about a pregnant woman getting nasty comments while working out at the gym. Since when is being fit and healthy a bad thing? I don't get it a lot, but I have gotten more negative comments being thinner and fitter than I did when I was 100lbs overweight? When I was overweight no one said boo about what I was eating, now people have no qualms about commenting about my eating choices. I get comments when I decline unhealthy foods, but then get comments when I do eat so-called unhealthy foods. Can't win.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

:-) See above edit. You hadn't even posted yet when I started writing this.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I'm a natural female bodybuilder and I get called gross.

PSSSHHHHH.

You're gorgeous. And not like I know because I've looked at your pictures a few times.

I know because I've looked many times.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I agree about not being demeaning towards anyone, regardless of their bodies. Calling someone's body "disgusting" is really, really rude, and I associate that kind of thing with internet trolls.

Needless to say, that goes both way. Overweight people shaming those who are thin, thin shaming the obese. Slim women shaming female bodybuilders, and female bodybilders referring to just about everybody as "not in shape".

I don't dislike female bodybuilders at all, but I have experienced a few times that they are critical of others and have a low bar for calling others "skinnyfat". Some love to promote the "strong is the new skinny" and how health is more important, although some appear to be obsessed. Sometimes it's accompanied by random commandments, telling strangers over social media to "lift properly girls!"
    In a discussion about weight goals one fitness woman gave me a strategy as to minimize my body fat. I wrote that I wasn't really interested in going below 18% and that 22-23% was fine by me. It then turned into a discussion where I felt like I had to defend my goal, and the simple reason is that I think a woman's body is more attractive with a bit more fat on it, and secondly, that going down to 18% bodyfat, a woman's fertility gets compromised. These are really just facts, but I was called "hateful".

I am fine with whatever other people want for their own bodies, as long as they are fine with me handling mine. One person's goal is not everybody's goal, and that's ok.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I'm a natural female bodybuilder and I get called gross.

PSSSHHHHH.

You're gorgeous. And not like I know because I've looked at your pictures a few times.

I know because I've looked many times.

:blushing: :flowerforyou:
  • jvsghost
    jvsghost Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a well muscled female. I think the majority of the time guys and gals that demean female body builders have their own self esteem issues. I support anyone that works as hard as a body builder.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

LOL. Some of use just don't get out much. :blushing: :frown:

Lol, I understand because I don't either :tongue: