Runner with a serious sugar addiction

Options
Ulilouise
Ulilouise Posts: 2 Member
Afternoon all,

This is my first post on here, after a while of feeling pretty horrible about myself I wanted to share my thoughts and to hopefully receive some words of wisdom! I'm in a bit of a strange situation and would really love to know if any of you have shared this kind of experience.

I've always thought of myself as "big", even when I weighed less than I do now, partly because of my height (I'm 5"11). In 2010 I managed to lose 2 1/2 stone through Weightwatchers but now, despite doing way more exercise than I was back then, my weight has crept back up again. I'm currently 13 stone 8 lbs.

I started running in 2011 and have signed up for my first marathon at the end of this year (a terrifying prospect), however I definitely don't have the typical runner's physique! My issue is that I'm addicted to sugar, big time. Obviously so much so that it's undoing all the good I'm doing by exercising. Chocolate is my biggest weakness and despite managing to go cold turkey a few times I always end up having a massive binge then going back to my old habits. I really feel like it's controlling me and the mid-afternoon cravings are unbearable, I usually end up giving into them rather than saying no. Ideally I'd like to get to a point where I can enjoy the occasional sweet treat (the thought of cutting out sweets for the rest of my life feels quite sad!) without feeling like life has to revolve around my next sugar fix.

Is anyone else going through something similar? Any advice on how to get out of this rut would be much appreciated :-)

Louise

Replies

• amberlynn0925
    Options
    Louise,

Like you, I would say I was addicted to sugar and it's definitely what got my weight up. What really made me quit the habit of needing some bit of sugar daily was participating in Lent with my Catholic Fiance (I'm not Catholic). For 40 days I gave up all dessert and anything sweet (candy, cakes, cookies, scones, etc.). Now that Lent is over, I feel like I am much more in control of my sugar intake and got used to saying "no" to the offer of cake for celebrations at work.

Amber
  • FoodieMotion
    FoodieMotion Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Like Amber says above it is strict for a while then you don't miss it.

I think they say it takes 30 days to make a habit. As well as chocolate are there other sugary vices you go for?
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    This will more than likely start a HUGE thread of discussions/debate/fighting because some people believe moderation is the key and some believe that refraining is the key.

All I can tell you is I completely understand! I will say that I am addicted to sugar but then there will be people say there is no such thing. So I'll explain it this way: i have go to foods that I binge on such as cakes, cookies and desserts. I don't binge on fruit which of course has sugar. So is this a sugar addiction...no...it's a behavior addiction. But I UNDERSTAND what you mean when you say sugar addiction.

So far what has worked for me, is that I am working on where I am at mentally when I crave. A lot of times I'm stressed out. So I'm working on stress and that's helped a lot. I am also refraining from these things for a while so I can get a control and change these behaviors and develop new healthier behaviors.

One of the most important things that I am doing that is helping me is I am eating more often and I am eating less foods that I'll call starches...like I only have four servings (2/3 cup a serving) a day. And I am eating tons more veggies and fruit. I have yet to suffer from the mid afternoon crash that I ALWAYS suffered from. I have even had so much more energy, I no longer drink caffeine. I wasn't planning on this, but I didn't need it so I let it go. On Easter, I had dinner with family, I did have a diet coke, and I did even have a piece of cake. But I was able to have the freedom of not obsessing over it. I ate my portion and then I was done. And I plan to go a few weeks before I have another sweet. (It actually wasn't as satisfying as I wanted).

These are things that have worked for me. I've talked to a therapist and my doctor about some of my issues to have a better understanding. I'm also a social work grad student and have learned so much about addiction and such. Also, there are some folks here on MFP that completely understand what you are dealing with and can help! Feel free to add me! Good luck on your journey!
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm sure many will disagree with me, but in my opinion, if you are training for a marathon then you are in one of the few categories of people where extraneous sugar isn't as bad for you as it is for most people. You are going to need a lot of simple carbs as you get into your training because you will be in a state of glycogen depletion a fair amount of time and will need to increase your reserves during the long runs. That's one of the main points of marathon training (increasing your glycogen reserves). Obviously pure sugar is not ideal, but at least your body is going to be making use of a large portion of it during your training.

I don't know how far along you are in training, though. If you are still early on, then the sugar is not going to be all that helpful to you because you are unlikely to be depleting yourself to that level.

Another thing I will note is that marathon training is quite hard on the body. If you want to lose weight, focus on that in the early stages of training because as you get deep into training, all you will be able to focus on is the training, stretching, icing, resting, planning of the marathon training.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't an ADDICTION. It would be unmanageable to "moderately" consume something someone is addicted to which is why alcoholics have to stay away from alcohol, cocaine addicts have to stay away from cocaine, etc. It's very palatable which is why many have a hard time giving it up or severely reducing it. But sugar is needed in the body so it's processed in the body one way or the other.
    I think the best approach is to learn how eat what treats you like, but don't go overboard rather than abstaining completely from them. I've had way better results with clients maintaining weight loss with moderation approach, than from strict/abstinence approach.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I can completely understand. Running makes me really hungry and the first thing I reach for is SUGAR. On top of that I am a (recovering) binger too. It is best to fill up on nutrient dense foods though so you can power through your next run. I rely on lots of water, protein, and fiber.

Depending on how long you are running try to add one more mile so that you can "earn" your treat. However, when you do have your sweet (and you should) try and remember that you don't want to eat back all the calories that you just burned off. Try a piece of fruit instead and eat it nice and slow.

The willpower to resist the binge won't come over night. You can tame the beast over time by making small choices that are better for you in the long run.

Good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Afternoon all,

This is my first post on here, after a while of feeling pretty horrible about myself I wanted to share my thoughts and to hopefully receive some words of wisdom! I'm in a bit of a strange situation and would really love to know if any of you have shared this kind of experience.

I've always thought of myself as "big", even when I weighed less than I do now, partly because of my height (I'm 5"11). In 2010 I managed to lose 2 1/2 stone through Weightwatchers but now, despite doing way more exercise than I was back then, my weight has crept back up again. I'm currently 13 stone 8 lbs.

I started running in 2011 and have signed up for my first marathon at the end of this year (a terrifying prospect), however I definitely don't have the typical runner's physique! My issue is that I'm addicted to sugar, big time. Obviously so much so that it's undoing all the good I'm doing by exercising. Chocolate is my biggest weakness and despite managing to go cold turkey a few times I always end up having a massive binge then going back to my old habits. I really feel like it's controlling me and the mid-afternoon cravings are unbearable, I usually end up giving into them rather than saying no. Ideally I'd like to get to a point where I can enjoy the occasional sweet treat (the thought of cutting out sweets for the rest of my life feels quite sad!) without feeling like life has to revolve around my next sugar fix.

Is anyone else going through something similar? Any advice on how to get out of this rut would be much appreciated :-)

Louise

Only way is a zero carb sugar detox
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I get the whole addiction but for me it is all carbs. I follow MFP and include daily 1 to 3 pieces of Dove dark choc. It is just part of how much calorie and fat and SODIUM. I do not deny myself which does set one up for the big binge. If you are training for a marathon then you understand endurance and pace. This is not a race it is a lifestyle. Cut back allow for your treat and keep moving.

Success is a choice and you can do this.
    Patsy
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    For me, as I've learned to eat more carefully while losing weight, I have noticed that if I have any sugar, I will crave it and be much hungrier for the rest of the day. So I just don't eat sugary things until the evening, after dinner, unless it is a special occasion or I'm having our weekly pancakes/waffles for breakfast, which are so filling that even if I eat syrup with them, the sugar doesn't seem to get to me.

Discovering this has resulted in me eating a lot less sugar, and that means I usually don't crave it like I used to. I think that forcing yourself to drastically reduce your sugar intake for at least a month might be the only way you can deal with the cravings in the long term. Not having it makes you far, far more sensitive to the taste (and the physiological effects) of sugar, so after not having it for a while, you will probably find your "need" for it greatly reduced.

Something like this takes a heck of a lot of willpower and desire to change.

This brings to mind something I heard about high-fructose corn syrup triggering hunger hormones/responses more than other sugars. I believe I heard this on National Public Radio; I wish I could give a proper citation because I'm sure a lot of people will have a fit at this assertion. . . but there is something about HFCS-sweetened things I find especially disgusting, and craving-inducing (and always have, before I heard the above tidbit of info). So if you do eat sugar, try to at least have it be less refined varieties and not HFCS.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I run 4-11 miles daily, 6 days a week. I don't need extra calories or extra anything to achieve those runs. Lots of times i will run 10 miles then get depressed at the amount of calories i eat back….because its so small. You can't allow yourself to overdo the calories just because you run. FInd out what works for you. If you can't eat a little bit of chocolate then by all means avoid it until you can get a grip and realize you can manage to eat some chocolate everyday if you wanted to.
  • JessG11
    Options
    Sugar isn't an ADDICTION. It would be unmanageable to "moderately" consume something someone is addicted to which is why alcoholics have to stay away from alcohol, cocaine addicts have to stay away from cocaine, etc. It's very palatable which is why many have a hard time giving it up or severely reducing it. But sugar is needed in the body so it's processed in the body one way or the other.
    I think the best approach is to learn how eat what treats you like, but don't go overboard rather than abstaining completely from them. I've had way better results with clients maintaining weight loss with moderation approach, than from strict/abstinence approach.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Me and this poster tend to disagree on some things....though I'm not saying he is wrong. He comes from a trainer/nutrition background and I come from a therapeutic and mental health background so it's natural we view things not so much different, but at different angles.

There is no where in the DSM (what I use for assessment and diagnostic criteria) that states sugar is an addictive substance. But, there is such thing as a Behavior Addiction which means certain behaviors can affect the "pleasure" system of your brain. There are also other disorders that can affect your eating patterns. Depression, anxiety, binge eating, just to name a few. I personally am not planning on cutting these things out completely forever. ONLY until I form new, healthier patterns. If you feel that you truly are completely helpless in managing this, if you feel it truly is a compulsion, then I would for sure seek some support and assistance to help gain some freedom, control and understanding!
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

This.
  • JessG11
    Options
    Did someone use the word detox? I don't remember seeing that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

amen....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Me and this poster tend to disagree on some things....though I'm not saying he is wrong. He comes from a trainer/nutrition background and I come from a therapeutic and mental health background so it's natural we view things not so much different, but at different angles.

There is no where in the DSM (what I use for assessment and diagnostic criteria) that states sugar is an addictive substance. But, there is such thing as a Behavior Addiction which means certain behaviors can affect the "pleasure" system of your brain. There are also other disorders that can affect your eating patterns. Depression, anxiety, binge eating, just to name a few. I personally am not planning on cutting these things out completely forever. ONLY until I form new, healthier patterns. If you feel that you truly are completely helpless in managing this, if you feel it truly is a compulsion, then I would for sure seek some support and assistance to help gain some freedom, control and understanding!
    Not going to disagree on Behavior Addiction (gambling is a good example). I just wanted to put out there that sugar as a substance isn't an addiction and that people shouldn't think that it is. That's all.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Louise

:laugh:
  • JessG11
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Not going to disagree on Behavior Addiction (gambling is a good example). I just wanted to put out there that sugar as a substance isn't an addiction and that people shouldn't think that it is. That's all.

IDEA Fitness member

Shockingly Gambling is now listed in the DSM 5! But I get sidetracked.

Yes I agree with you. But I do understand what some people really mean when they say addiction such as they have no control over it, obsess over it, and feel better when they get it. But I want people to understand, the same as you I'm sure, that there is so much more to it!
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what your going though, since Christmas I've craved chocolate and have put on 8lb, 2lb of which went on over the Easter weekend, before Christmas I'd hardly touched chocolate for 2 years and I no longer classed myself as a chocoholic.
    I have now put a stop to it by eating little and often as another poster suggested . I've also put more variety into my running program by adding trail and mountain running . I'd allowed myself to believe it didn't matter what I ate anymore because I was running off the calories which just wasn't true, I was deluding myself and it had to stop.
    Good luck with getting your chocolate cravings under control.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Shockingly Gambling is now listed in the DSM 5! But I get sidetracked.

Yes I agree with you. I do understand what some people really mean when they say addiction such as they have no control over it, obsess over it, and feel better when they get it. But I want people to understand, the same as you I'm sure, that there is so much more to it!
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    First of all ban chocolate from the house and limit your grocery trips so that you are not tempted.

Try eating a big bowl of sugar free chocolate pudding or nibbling on dry chocolate cereal so that you get the taste and the sweetness but without as many calories.

Or you could try a big chilled fruit smoothie or even a chocolate smoothie, look around for brands that fit with your nutrition.

Look for something that has the taste and sweetness but is also very filling.

Another thing you could try is light calorie bread with peanut butter, maybe throw a banana in there too. Or eat it with crispy celery sticks.

Just some ideas.