Low carb or calories, which is best? which will work?

Options
jamiesokd
jamiesokd Posts: 99 Member
So I've been working on losing weight for a few months now. I started just watching calories and lost 4 lbs slowly over a few months, then went to low carb.I lost great my first 2 weeks - 13 lbs. Then for the last 6 weeks, I've consistently lost one more pound and have gone up and down between another 2. 1 lb in 6 weeks does not seem good to me??

I am also finding low carb very restrictive. I would like to go back to counting calories, but I'm afraid it won't work. Now the thing is, by going low carb I have also managed to cut calories. I am usually under what MFP tells me should lose me about a pound a week. So how have I only lost 1 lb in 6 weeks??

Low carb isn't working. Low calorie isn't working. How do I get one of these methods to work?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well, to lose weight you MUST eat less calories than you burn.

But you can do that and eat more carbs and still lose weight.

But if you eat low carb and more than you burn, you will not lose weight.

And since the water weight associated with not storing nearly as many carbs in your muscles causes your metabolism to go down, you get to eat even less when doing low carb.

As to why is the math off?

Your food logging is bad, and you are eating more than you think, even low carb method.
    If you weigh everything and are sure of that, then perhaps you are using MFP correctly and eating back exercise calories, and those may be more than you really burn, so you are not actually eating less than you burn in total.

If you are not using MFP correctly, and you are weighing all food and are sure that is correct, then you've probably created too big of a deficit for too long and your body slowed down to adapt to such craziness, and you no longer burn what you think you do.

Two directions.
    Keep eating less and less and hope you are as suppressed as you'll get, so you'll start losing again. But if a lot of weight to go, what is it going to look like as you have to keep eating less as you weigh less, what is maintenance going to look like, and can you eat that low and comply?

Or....

Take a diet break (though it would appear you are right now), and let your body unstress and recovery and speed back up.
    Then take a reasonable deficit.

Because yes, you should have the range now for losing 2 lbs weekly - but you likely were creating bigger than that depending on answers to questions above.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/reduced-metabolism-tdee-beyond-expected-from-weight-loss-616251
  • jamiesokd
    Options
    So if I read your reply correctly, I am either eating too much, or not enough, and I should eat less or eat more to fix it?? LOL

I get what you are saying though...

I do not weigh my food, I have just been measuring with cups, tablespoons, etc, so I guess there is some room for error - but when the majority of my food has been veggies I can't see that any errors would put me wayyy over calorie wise...

As for exercise, ha. I kinda don't. I had MFP give me a recommendation based on mostly sedentiary and I do work on my feet all day. I have been working two full time jobs so I haven't had time to exercise, that is why I was focusing on my food. My recommendation was 1750 calories a day, and I have usually been at or under. Even today I cheated with a cupcake and I am still under calories...
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Do you want to eat low carb the rest of your life?
    Pick what is more sustainable for you for a lifestyle change. I follow low calorie because I know I can follow that plan until I ultimately up my calories to maintain again.
  • jamiesokd
    Options
    calories is definitely most sustainable as a lifestyle change! However, I worry because even though I have had reduced calories for 6 weeks now, I only lost 1 lb in that time. At least with low carb I lost 13 lbs to start with.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    calories is definitely most sustainable as a lifestyle change! However, I worry because even though I have had reduced calories for 6 weeks now, I only lost 1 lb in that time. At least with low carb I lost 13 lbs to start with.

It could be that your deficit isn't what you think it is. Weighing food, measuring it, and logging everything can help you be more accurate. Low carb may also get you fast results, but you also may drop a lot at the beginning of your journey when you suddenly switch your eating habits.

Weight loss is also affected by water weight and normal daily fluctuation. You've lost 18lbs so far, so don't fret! To put it into perspective, I gained 5lbs in one day this week, and then dropped most of it the next. I didn't actually gain that weight; it was most likely due to water retention and just the motions my body went through. I aim for 1/2lb a week, so my results are slow but consistent.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Low carb isn't working. Low calorie isn't working. How do I get one of these methods to work?

then you're left with very few options.
    1. you're eating more than you think.
    2. you're eating more than what you need to lose
    3. there could be medical issues at play (thyroid, etc)

if you're accurately weighing all of your food, logging EVERYTHING, and have done so for 6 weeks.. and not lost, the amount that you're eating is going to likely be your maintenance level.

from there, take another 6 weeks at 100 calories less net per day. reassess from that point.

your diary isn't public, so it's not really easy to give much more than generic/blanket advice.

ETA: just saw that you don't weigh your food. do that. get a food scale. weigh everything. it doesn't matter if you're eating fruits and veggies if it's enough to dissolve whatever deficit you think you had in play.
  • svandever101585
    svandever101585 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I use a modification of the fat shredder Diet. I eat 1500 calories which can be adjusted depending on your own personal needs but should not go below 1200 calories. I get 40% of my calories from protein, 40% from carbs, and 20% from fats. I eat lean protein and complex carbs. I try to stick to a clean diet. The true fat shredder is 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fats. I know a bunch of people who are on this plan or a modification of it and are having amazing results.
  • svandever101585
    svandever101585 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you would like more info feel free to message me or send me a friend request. I keep an open food diary so you can see what I eat. Best of Luck.
  • jamiesokd
    Options
    mission - I have lost 18 lbs so far, and I am happy with it, don't get me wrong. But 13 of those lbs happened in two weeks. The other 5 lbs have been spread out since January. So really, a little over a pound a month? I should be losing more than that.

trog - I have not been weighing my food, but I do measure it carefully. I already tend to come in between 100-500 calories below my goal, or I have for the last 6 weeks. well. I would say 3/4 of the time I am lower, the other 1/4 is at or slightly higher. So if I am to reduce by 100, I have still mostly been eating at that level. So should I go even lower?
  • trogalicious
    Options
    mission - I have lost 18 lbs so far, and I am happy with it, don't get me wrong. But 13 of those lbs happened in two weeks. The other 5 lbs have been spread out since January. So really, a little over a pound a month? I should be losing more than that.

trog - I have not been weighing my food, but I do measure it carefully. I already tend to come in between 100-500 calories below my goal, or I have for the last 6 weeks. well. I would say 3/4 of the time I am lower, the other 1/4 is at or slightly higher. So if I am to reduce by 100, I have still mostly been eating at that level. So should I go even lower?
    get a food scale.
    weigh everything.

until you do that, you don't know how much you're eating and there's absolutely no way of knowing what else to tell you.

you say you're eating a certain amount, but the fact of it is.. you don't know how much you're eating on a regular basis and we're all just giving guess-work.

don't reduce anything at this point. pick a number. any number eat 1600 calories per day for 6 weeks. if you've gained at the end, look at the amount gained and tweak your intake from there.

ETA: and just flat out ignore these "coaches" that ask you to send them private messages on here. they're out to make a buck.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Like I mentioned, a quick drop at the beginning is common. It slows down after that.
    You also should be weighing, measuring, and logging everything; like I mentioned before. Most likely you are not eating at a high enough deficit. The advice to test out a new calorie deficit for a few weeks is something I would recommend.
  • jamiesokd
    Options

get a food scale.
    weigh everything.

until you do that, you don't know how much you're eating and there's absolutely no way of knowing what else to tell you.

you say you're eating a certain amount, but the fact of it is.. you don't know how much you're eating on a regular basis and we're all just giving guess-work.

don't reduce anything at this point. pick a number. any number eat 1600 calories per day for 6 weeks. if you've gained at the end, look at the amount gained and tweak your intake from there.

ETA: and just flat out ignore these "coaches" that ask you to send them private messages on here. they're out to make a buck.

I'll be honest, I was hoping counting calories would be easier and less restrictive, but if I can't even use standard tools to measure my food with and have to buy a scale, maybe that isn't easier at all

I think I have my diary visible now, you can look if you like. I'm thinking it won't help though since my food isn't weighed.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    I'll be honest, I was hoping counting calories would be easier and less restrictive, but if I can't even use standard tools to measure my food with and have to buy a scale, maybe that isn't easier at all

no one said it's easy. no one said it's hard... but you have to put effort in to get results.

are you worth it?

do you want to put forth the few minutes it takes to weigh food, log it, and get results?

I'm sorry it seems like a lot to take on, but you're spinning your wheels here and folks are trying to give you some traction. Weighing your food is going to help give you a more accurate calorie count. Since you aren't losing, that's what it's going to boil down to.

Knowing exactly how much you're eating is going to dictate how much less you need to eat to lose.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    both
  • jamiesokd
    Options

no one said it's easy. no one said it's hard... but you have to put effort in to get results.

are you worth it?

do you want to put forth the few minutes it takes to weigh food, log it, and get results?

I'm sorry it seems like a lot to take on, but you're spinning your wheels here and folks are trying to give you some traction. Weighing your food is going to help give you a more accurate calorie count. Since you aren't losing, that's what it's going to boil down to.

Knowing exactly how much you're eating is going to dictate how much less you need to eat to lose.

Honestly, I don't know how to answer your questions. I would like to say yes, but I have found this to be very all-consuming and very stressful so I was hoping to simplify. I guess I will have to look and see if I can find a scale - I don't know that I've even seen one anywhere, but then again I haven't been looking.

So if measuring with standard tools is 100% out - what do you do if you aren't at home? Carry the scale in your bag? LOL
  • trogalicious
    Options
    So if measuring with standard tools is 100% out - what do you do if you aren't at home? Carry the scale in your bag? LOL
    yes.

see the ticker down below my posts?

it works, but you have to put effort into it.

food scales come in all shapes, sizes, and since you're on the internet.. you could check amazon. That's where I bought one that I use regularly. It's a relatively cheap Ozeri.

Walmart has them. They're in the food gadgets section.

My point in asking those questions is just that you seem to be kind "whatever, I thought this was gonna be easy" and pushing back on the idea of weighing your food. It sounds like excuses. It's time consuming to start with, but it gets easier.

Is it worth it? Yes. 150 lbs lost by calorie deficit. No overcomplications, no gimmicks, no "you have to restrict this food group" stuff.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I've lost 55lbs in a year and never once used a scale. But that's me. Every one is different. And this healthy lifestyle at first isn't easy, if it were no one would be over weight. But once you get a routine and find your niche, well it comes naturally. Get a scale or not, do low carb or not. Only you have the say. But what ever you choose, don't give up!
  • jamiesokd
    Options
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come across as "this will be easy", but yes, I was thinking that this would be easIER than tracking carbs - researching every label, stressing over the numbers, did I get enough fat, should I eat this, am I retaining water, lets make separate meals from my family, every meal involves time and prep and there is no "quick", OMG what will the scale say tomorrow morning is quite frankly burning me out. I was hoping this would allow some more freedom and maybe I would be able to relax a bit more, because frankly the other has been causing me constant stress.

but maybe that is the way it is, constant obsessing and worrying and stressing no matter what plan I choose.

trog - may I ask how long it took you to lose all that weight?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

are you worth it?

Honestly, I don't know how to answer your questions. I would like to say yes, but I have found this to be very all-consuming and very stressful so I was hoping to simplify. I guess I will have to look and see if I can find a scale - I don't know that I've even seen one anywhere, but then again I haven't been looking.

If you're out of home very often (read every day) and cannot take pre-prepared meals with you, then carrying the scale may be an option (just curious, do you carry your measuring cups with you too?), but if it's a once in a while thing or you can just prepare your meals at home at take them with you to work for example, "eyeballing" the quantities when you go out could be enough.

Take this exercise: what do you usually eat when you go out? try to make it at home, weight it, know how many calories it has, put it in your plate to see how much space it occupies, eat it to see how much of it satisfies you... etc. Basically become familiar with foods, how they look, how much they weigh, how many calories they have and overall learn as much as you could about them. For me, conducting such tests it's fun since I'm always curious about things. If you don't enjoy such a thing, know that it comes with practice and eventually by the time you are at your maintenance weight you will be able to eyeball and estimate things more accurately than you could before, so using the scale whenever you can is a great stepping stone.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come across as "this will be easy", but yes, I was thinking that this would be easIER than tracking carbs - researching every label, stressing over the numbers, did I get enough fat, should I eat this, am I retaining water, lets make separate meals from my family, every meal involves time and prep and there is no "quick", OMG what will the scale say tomorrow morning is quite frankly burning me out. I was hoping this would allow some more freedom and maybe I would be able to relax a bit more, because frankly the other has been causing me constant stress.

but maybe that is the way it is, constant obsessing and worrying and stressing no matter what plan I choose.

at this point, you can simplify it.
    calorie deficit = weight loss.
    if you know, accurately, how much you're eating... from a calorie standpoint...

then you know how much to cut back.

don't stress out over macros until you figure out how much you're eating to start with.

and don't weigh every day. your weight is going to fluctuate a few lbs on a regular basis, that's natural. pick one day a week, weigh on that day under the same circumstances.

I lost the majority within a year. I'm 807 days logged on MFP.