Low carb or calories, which is best? which will work?

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I'll be honest, I was hoping counting calories would be easier and less restrictive, but if I can't even use standard tools to measure my food with and have to buy a scale, maybe that isn't easier at all

no one said it's easy. no one said it's hard... but you have to put effort in to get results.

are you worth it?

do you want to put forth the few minutes it takes to weigh food, log it, and get results?

I'm sorry it seems like a lot to take on, but you're spinning your wheels here and folks are trying to give you some traction. Weighing your food is going to help give you a more accurate calorie count. Since you aren't losing, that's what it's going to boil down to.

Knowing exactly how much you're eating is going to dictate how much less you need to eat to lose.

Honestly, I don't know how to answer your questions. I would like to say yes, but I have found this to be very all-consuming and very stressful so I was hoping to simplify. I guess I will have to look and see if I can find a scale - I don't know that I've even seen one anywhere, but then again I haven't been looking.

So if measuring with standard tools is 100% out - what do you do if you aren't at home? Carry the scale in your bag? LOL

I don't measure food exactly either, but, GUESS WHAT, I don't lose weight every week. When I don't lose weight, then I know I was off on estimating my calories. If you reallyrewant to lose weight, you need to know how much you are eating. I'm not very far from my goal weight so I don't care if it takes a long time to lose it.

Some people do take a scale with them. But that isn't necessary if you start eating home more, and some people have had to do that in order to lose weight as well.

Weight loss is about calorie deficit (unless you have some medical reason for reducing carbs, it is not necessary and as someone else said, you have to be willing to eat that way for the rest of your life, or else you will gain the weight back when you stop).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Because it's not a license to eat several thousand calories a day and still lose weight. You still need a deficit.

OP isn't losing because she's not in a deficit. Low carb or not is irrelevant to that.

Agreed, but a lot of people on low carb find eating in a deficit without logging food easier because of the reduced appetite.

It is certainly wise for someone switching from calorie counting to low carb to keep recording food for a period of time until they get efficient at controlling there eating pattern.

My point is that this is clearly not working for the OP so she needs to count calories. Low carb doesn't negate the need for a deficit.

Who is suggesting that low carb negates the need to eat in a deficit?

Tennis Dude no low carb book I've ever read mentions calorie counting! It's the big selling point!

You know that! We know that! It's what makes it so appealing! Freedom!

Low carb isn't for everyone, some people like the comfort of logging food. I'm not a low carb salesman and especially on this thread the OP clearly would like to stick with calorie counting (or I think that's what she wants to do, now that I've read through the other posts).

I'm curious why kuolo thinks that low carb is claiming to be a weight loss diet, without having to eat in a deficit?

Again, that's the whole selling point of low carb, the illusion that you can eat protein to your hearts content.

I've grown up amongst it! Nobody ever counted calories. It works for a bit while you get the water drop and eventually we all got sick go it and it didn't work anymore.

Are you still curious? The general public think it's a magic trick. Did you read Atkins? It's the great magic antidote to horrible restricting shackling calorie counting! Except it doesn't really work long term!

Agreed ..this was pretty much the selling point of Atkins…..eat fat and protein and little carbs and watch the fat melt way …but if you over ate on fat and protein then you would not lose weight...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    OP to summarize..

get a food scale
    weight, log, measure everything
    log consistently
    set your macro % to 40 protein/30 carbs/ 30 fats
    work out/move more ..whehter it is walking, running, or getting on a heavy lifting program…
    eat in a moderate 500 per calorie day deficit …
  • freebutterfly02
    freebutterfly02 Posts: 13 Member
    So if measuring with standard tools is 100% out - what do you do if you aren't at home? Carry the scale in your bag? LOL

I used to feel the same way about the weight scale but now I find it easier to use than the measuring
    cups as you just hit tare every time you add a new ingredient to weigh and less dishes to wash.
    If there's a scale I can bring to the restaurant I will be in heaven but no, the weight scale at home teaches you
    to eyeball your portions and they are more accurate. A measuring cup is easier to fill it out to the rim so you eat more.
  • enigmaneo
    enigmaneo Posts: 61 Member
    Hmmm I don't know if I'm too late to answer but I lost over 120 pounds doing low carb and was a huge advocated. Then I kind of realized it was all about calories.

(Due to stress and other personal factors I gained a lot of weight back but never went back to my original size)

For the past couple of years I've tried losing weight counting calories without much success so I decided to do low carb again. I noticed that It picked up and i was losing much faster than just counting calories.

I then decided to count calories and realized that it was a lot easier to eat less calories on a low carb diet and I wasn't as hungry. I also started creating more muscle. Also eating low carb has forced me to cook a lot more and eat mostly things I make so that might attribute to the positive results.

My conclusion is that ultimately it's the calories but refined carbohydrates that are so prevalent in our diets are just horrible for our bodies. Eating a nice fatty high protein meal with veggies and without many carbs makes me feel fuller so I eat less naturally. I also don't eat things packed with calories but are small. So what you eat matters to some extent I believe but I've also lost weight eating McDonald's only and counting calories.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Hmmm I don't know if I'm too late to answer but I lost over 120 pounds doing low carb and was a huge advocated. Then I kind of realized it was all about calories.

(Due to stress and other personal factors I gained a lot of weight back but never went back to my original size)

For the past couple of years I've tried losing weight counting calories without much success so I decided to do low carb again. I noticed that It picked up and i was losing much faster than just counting calories.

I then decided to count calories and realized that it was a lot easier to eat less calories on a low carb diet and I wasn't as hungry. I also started creating more muscle. Also eating low carb has forced me to cook a lot more and eat mostly things I make so that might attribute to the positive results.

My conclusion is that ultimately it's the calories but refined carbohydrates that are so prevalent in our diets are just horrible for our bodies. Eating a nice fatty high protein meal with veggies and without many carbs makes me feel fuller so I eat less naturally. I also don't eat things packed with calories but are small. So what you eat matters to some extent I believe but I've also lost weight eating McDonald's only and counting calories.

Agreed it's all about the calories.

You don't eat in a deficit you don't lose weight simple as that.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    I have done both.

I have Graves and PCOS. I am insanely insulin resistant, which for me means, ANY decent normal amount of carbs puts me under the table within 30 minutes. A bowl of 1/2 cup oatmeal prepared with water in the morning, and 30 minutes later I can not keep my eyes open, and fall asleep sitting up, driving, or whatever, due to my high insulin release and then super quick drop.

As much as I WANT to do a normal eat at a deficit sort of thing, it doesn't work for me. I have always had success on Atkins, HOWEVER, I wouldn't call it complete success as I never stick with it....so...it is what it is.

FOR ME, I am finding my way somewhere in the middle. I started this journey this year, on Atkins. Lost 16 lbs in about 3 weeks. Then stalled. I stall because I can not eat more than 10-15 carbs a day AND high calorie and expect to lose. I have to stay under 10 carbs and really that is just near insane for me to imagine that for life.

I have never counted calories in my entire life. Until now. The simple thing here is, it really isn't hard. MFP does it for you. Just measure and log all that you eat & drink. You will learn rather quickly what is high cal and low cal.

I set my macros with a relatively low carb count, and I try to keep most if not all my carbs from veggies and fruit, however I do eat things like SF pudding, greek yogurt and cream cheese as well as carb control tortillas or bread and protein shakes/smoothies.

I came to the boards, just like you, and didn't really want to listen to the whole measure everything, count calories, eat at a deficit. I too, just want it to happen. I personally am very lazy, and hate exercise. I started body resistance and now do weight lifting with a 2 mile walk 2-3 times a week. The weight is moving slowly, which is the best way for it to move. My body is changing, and I am losing inches. I feel a lot better.

I am 43, and have children ages 4-10 at home. Last year, I wouldn't and couldn't do anything with them. In the last month, I have played soccer, basketball, and just this week jumped on the trampoline with the 4 year old, as well as chased her around the park, and played follow the leader, swinging on swings, and going down slides. A few months ago I could not even fit in the slide. And I have a long ways to go.

My single most important advice is this. Try it. That is all you can do. BUT try it for 90days. Sometimes it takes a good 8 weeks for your body to finally accept that
    1. you aren't going to starve it.
    2. its ok to do what you want it to do.
    3. It needs to readjust from what you have been doing to what you are now doing.

It is also important for you to figure out your TDEE. Or you will be spinning your wheels, guessing at where to set your calories for the day, and end up frustrated as well.

When I stalled, it was because I was only eating around 800 calories a day. Anyone should be able to lose on that but that is actually wrong. Once I bumped up my calories, I started to lose again.

My TDEE is somewhere around 1900 calories a day. To eat at a deficit I should eat 1500-1600 calories, but that depends on if I exert the same amount of energy daily/weekly. THAT is where it gets really complicated to me, so again, FOR ME, the easiest thing to do is follow MFP 1200 calories. You exercise. You log that. You then eat approx 1/2 of those calories back.
    Example.
    I know I am going to burn 150 calories on my walk today. So I add half of that (75) and now my calorie intake for the day is 1275.
    I know from logging I will most likely burn 300-500 calories doing weight lifting, so I will add in another 250-300 calories. Now I am up to 1500-1575 calories to eat for the day. Make sense?

Lastly, unless you have a specific reason to be really low carb, I don't suggest it. You really will be very limited on food choices, and when your choices are limited many people become discouraged. I know I do.

This sight is phenomenal and almost anyone who tells you to weigh your food, knows exactly what they are talking about. Sometimes you just have to dig around a bit to find the articles that explain the whys and hows. When I joined, I almost quit the first week, because I felt nobody was listening to what I was saying. Turns out, I wasn't listening to what they were saying. In life, we are taught if it sounds too good to be true, then it is probably not true. This is one time that the truth is the truth. You have to eat a fair amount of calories to lose weight, but you just have to eat at a deficit from what your TDEE is.

Feel free to friend me :)

great post!

Agreed.
  • tennisdude2004
    I have done both.

I have Graves and PCOS. I am insanely insulin resistant, which for me means, ANY decent normal amount of carbs puts me under the table within 30 minutes. A bowl of 1/2 cup oatmeal prepared with water in the morning, and 30 minutes later I can not keep my eyes open, and fall asleep sitting up, driving, or whatever, due to my high insulin release and then super quick drop.

As much as I WANT to do a normal eat at a deficit sort of thing, it doesn't work for me. I have always had success on Atkins, HOWEVER, I wouldn't call it complete success as I never stick with it....so...it is what it is.

FOR ME, I am finding my way somewhere in the middle. I started this journey this year, on Atkins. Lost 16 lbs in about 3 weeks. Then stalled. I stall because I can not eat more than 10-15 carbs a day AND high calorie and expect to lose. I have to stay under 10 carbs and really that is just near insane for me to imagine that for life.

I have never counted calories in my entire life. Until now. The simple thing here is, it really isn't hard. MFP does it for you. Just measure and log all that you eat & drink. You will learn rather quickly what is high cal and low cal.

I set my macros with a relatively low carb count, and I try to keep most if not all my carbs from veggies and fruit, however I do eat things like SF pudding, greek yogurt and cream cheese as well as carb control tortillas or bread and protein shakes/smoothies.

I came to the boards, just like you, and didn't really want to listen to the whole measure everything, count calories, eat at a deficit. I too, just want it to happen. I personally am very lazy, and hate exercise. I started body resistance and now do weight lifting with a 2 mile walk 2-3 times a week. The weight is moving slowly, which is the best way for it to move. My body is changing, and I am losing inches. I feel a lot better.

I am 43, and have children ages 4-10 at home. Last year, I wouldn't and couldn't do anything with them. In the last month, I have played soccer, basketball, and just this week jumped on the trampoline with the 4 year old, as well as chased her around the park, and played follow the leader, swinging on swings, and going down slides. A few months ago I could not even fit in the slide. And I have a long ways to go.

My single most important advice is this. Try it. That is all you can do. BUT try it for 90days. Sometimes it takes a good 8 weeks for your body to finally accept that
    1. you aren't going to starve it.
    2. its ok to do what you want it to do.
    3. It needs to readjust from what you have been doing to what you are now doing.

It is also important for you to figure out your TDEE. Or you will be spinning your wheels, guessing at where to set your calories for the day, and end up frustrated as well.

When I stalled, it was because I was only eating around 800 calories a day. Anyone should be able to lose on that but that is actually wrong. Once I bumped up my calories, I started to lose again.

My TDEE is somewhere around 1900 calories a day. To eat at a deficit I should eat 1500-1600 calories, but that depends on if I exert the same amount of energy daily/weekly. THAT is where it gets really complicated to me, so again, FOR ME, the easiest thing to do is follow MFP 1200 calories. You exercise. You log that. You then eat approx 1/2 of those calories back.
    Example.
    I know I am going to burn 150 calories on my walk today. So I add half of that (75) and now my calorie intake for the day is 1275.
    I know from logging I will most likely burn 300-500 calories doing weight lifting, so I will add in another 250-300 calories. Now I am up to 1500-1575 calories to eat for the day. Make sense?

Lastly, unless you have a specific reason to be really low carb, I don't suggest it. You really will be very limited on food choices, and when your choices are limited many people become discouraged. I know I do.

This sight is phenomenal and almost anyone who tells you to weigh your food, knows exactly what they are talking about. Sometimes you just have to dig around a bit to find the articles that explain the whys and hows. When I joined, I almost quit the first week, because I felt nobody was listening to what I was saying. Turns out, I wasn't listening to what they were saying. In life, we are taught if it sounds too good to be true, then it is probably not true. This is one time that the truth is the truth. You have to eat a fair amount of calories to lose weight, but you just have to eat at a deficit from what your TDEE is.

Feel free to friend me :)

Nice post :smile:
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    I think basically you lost mostly water weight the first two weeks as you didn't have a big enough deficit to have lost that much in fat, your body is now adjusting to the diet change, so in the last 6 weeks you are still losing fat but gaining back the lost water weight, in the past 8 weeks you have lost 14 pounds total, as others have said just chose something you can stick to.

I tried low carb once (many moons ago at 20years old) and it really played havok with my body :P I've never done a fad or overly restrictive diet since. Although getting in a good amount of protein does tend to make you feel fuller :)

xxx
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    I tried low carb back in the early 90s and my body hated it. I am eating controlled carb (around 100/day) and am losing fine, but I am also eating low fat (no more than 30 grams/day) and high protein (as high as I can get it, lately around 130-140).
  • MrsRatfire
    MrsRatfire Posts: 102
    I may be too late as well, but here it goes. There is NO correct answer to everyone's optimum, this thread surely demonstrates that. I do use a scale and all measuring tools, but that is a personal choice, not a rule. One thing I do to reduce cleaning of the scale tray is to set the scale and use a paper plate. That way, I throw it away and I do not have to clean the tray over and over.

Low carb- or any different diet, can produce amazing results in a fast time, but they to will level to a more reasonable weight loss.

I also read an article about it, a medical study, tracking low carb dieters vs. people tracking on a moderate diet, with typical restrictions of calorie, % of fat, % of Carb, etc.

Also, i would like to note- you look great! It is very difficult to have large weight loss when you have a small amount to lose.

Look at his as a life plan, and not a calendar with a due date. If you keep logging and tracking, barring any medical problems, you will find in time, the choice of a balanced diet will work.

I also find it more effective to use complex carbs in place of simple ones, as they metabolize slower, they use more calories to digest and sustain energy longer. I keep gluten free bread in the freezer and take out a slice as needed. I have found gluten free to be helpful.

Using the recommended settings of this site will probably work for you. If after 30 days you see nothing, change the percents of carb, to fat and protein. Reduce the carb and the system will increase other categories, and you can look and see where they are.

I am positive of one thing. If you had a magic pill you could take for 30 days and on day 31, your eyes would open and you would never have to diet again to lose a pound, you would do it. So, give yourself a break here. You are figuring out a plan to help you for your life, not a few weeks or even months.

I do a balanced diet, I do keep my carb count higher and fats lower, but that is due to a medical problem. I have to keep carbs in the cage as much as possible as I do find them hard to burn off too. If I do not have enough carbs, I go into severe symptoms that can kill me and are horribly painful. It was not always like this. I used to be able to low carb and crash diet all of the time, in my younger days. Now the excruciating pain along with impending death, changed that. But no matter.

For me, I set it where it works for me, with this medical problem. That is basically my suggestion. Pick a plan and follow thorough for a month. Then see what happens. Weight problems do not appear in month and are not going to end in a month.

This is a journey, not a marathon. But you will reach your goal. All good things in time. Best Wishes to you.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    mission - I have lost 18 lbs so far, and I am happy with it, don't get me wrong. But 13 of those lbs happened in two weeks. The other 5 lbs have been spread out since January. So really, a little over a pound a month? I should be losing more than that.

trog - I have not been weighing my food, but I do measure it carefully. I already tend to come in between 100-500 calories below my goal, or I have for the last 6 weeks. well. I would say 3/4 of the time I am lower, the other 1/4 is at or slightly higher. So if I am to reduce by 100, I have still mostly been eating at that level. So should I go even lower?
    get a food scale.
    weigh everything.

until you do that, you don't know how much you're eating and there's absolutely no way of knowing what else to tell you.

you say you're eating a certain amount, but the fact of it is.. you don't know how much you're eating on a regular basis and we're all just giving guess-work.

don't reduce anything at this point. pick a number. any number eat 1600 calories per day for 6 weeks. if you've gained at the end, look at the amount gained and tweak your intake from there.

ETA: and just flat out ignore these "coaches" that ask you to send them private messages on here. they're out to make a buck.

I'll be honest, I was hoping counting calories would be easier and less restrictive, but if I can't even use standard tools to measure my food with and have to buy a scale, maybe that isn't easier at all

I think I have my diary visible now, you can look if you like. I'm thinking it won't help though since my food isn't weighed.

A food scale will become standard once you start using it.. WAY easier than having to wash measuring cups.. I put the plate on.. zero the scale.. put on the first thing record the weight.. Zero the scale.. put on the next thing.. record the weight... zero the scale..etc that way I can just load my meal on the plate and don't have extra measuring cups to wash.

As for Low carb, when you do low carb, you lose water for the first week... so when you stop doing low carb you may see a gain, don't let it alarm you, it is just your water content returning to normal. There is nothing magic about low carb that will make you lose more weight-other than the initial water weight loss you see.... it's just that many people find they are less hungry on low carb so it's a strategy that helps then consume fewer calories overall. If low carb isn't working for you, then there's no reason to do it.

Personally, after working with a Registered Dietitian for over a year, I discovered that the amount of calories I needed to consume in order to lose was so painfully low that I NEVER got used to it. I eventually decided to get weight loss surgery... not a popular decision around here, but after years of self discovery and R.D. and Endocrinologist appointments, it really was the best option for me... .Even with the surgery, I still have to measure and weigh everything and mind my calories.. the surgery just makes it possible for me to stick with a low calorie amount without feeling mad-crazy hungry all the time.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Because it's not a license to eat several thousand calories a day and still lose weight. You still need a deficit.

OP isn't losing because she's not in a deficit. Low carb or not is irrelevant to that.

Agreed, but a lot of people on low carb find eating in a deficit without logging food easier because of the reduced appetite.

It is certainly wise for someone switching from calorie counting to low carb to keep recording food for a period of time until they get efficient at controlling there eating pattern.

My point is that this is clearly not working for the OP so she needs to count calories. Low carb doesn't negate the need for a deficit.

Tennis Dude no low carb book I've ever read mentions calorie counting! It's the big selling point!

Low carb isn't for everyone, some people like the comfort of logging food. I'm not a low carb salesman and especially on this thread the OP clearly would like to stick with calorie counting (or I think that's what she wants to do, now that I've read through the other posts).

I'm curious why kuolo thinks that low carb is claiming to be a weight loss diet, without having to eat in a deficit?

I didn't say anyone said that! I just said it wasn't! It's a factual statement!

Also the OP seemed to be separating the two - so I was clarifying that low carb does not negate the need for being in a calorie deficit in case she wasn't sure - she said something along the lines of wanting to be low carb so she did not to have to weigh and count etc. And even the title of the post seems to imply they are separate. But I never said anyone claimed the opposite!
  • Stonekerry
    Stonekerry Posts: 54 Member
    Did anyone mention the "sedentary" part - it doesn't sound like you are sitting on the couch if you are on your feet all day and working 2 jobs! Maybe your not eating enough or need to change your settings?
  • tennisdude2004

Also the OP seemed to be separating the two - so I was clarifying that low carb does not negate the need for being in a calorie deficit in case she wasn't sure - she said something along the lines of wanting to be low carb so she did not to have to weigh and count etc. And even the title of the post seems to imply they are separate. But I never said anyone claimed the opposite!

That's correct a benefit for some is they can eat low carb (in a deficit obviously) without the hassle of weighting and logging food.

That's a big difference from claiming you can eat in a surplus and loss weight! I'm not sure I have every been told that.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member

That's correct a benefit for some is they can eat low carb (in a deficit obviously) without the hassle of weighting and logging food.

That's a big difference from claiming you can eat in a surplus and loss weight! I'm not sure I have every been told that.

I think half the problem is semantics. For example sometimes dieters are told they can eat unlimited amounts of say fruit or green leafy veg on a diet plan or as much protein as you like and still lose weight and then all sorts of ridiculous claims start getting made or the impression you can eat surplus calories and still lose.

Whilst in a literal sense that idea that you can eat unlimited amounts of any food and still lose weight is physically impossible as it will mean eating over TDEE and therefore fat gain in a practical sense things may turn out to be different depending on the dieter.

For example for someone on Atkins as much protein as you like may translate to not that many calories in reality as their appetite is naturally curbed or unlimited fruit and veg translates to actually quite limited given satiety and greater volume of food.

It is undoubtedly true some diet plans exploit these notions to market their products however.

I think on a psychological basis the belief that you can eat as much as you like (although in practice that may turn out not to be less than what you were eating before) or unlimited amounts of food serves a useful function. It reduces the idea of deprivation making rebound bingeing less likely and strengthens adherence.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member

FFS! For the last time - I never said anyone claimed they could eat in surplus and lose weight! I just said you that can't do it!

I can say the sky is blue without saying someone else said it is pink! Or if I said it's blue would you be on at me asking who said it wasn't?

And like I said before low carb works for some without weighing, but the whole point of this post was that this is NOT working for the OP!

So I was pointing out that if she is not weighing and not losing she needs to weigh because low carb or not she will need to be in a deficit to lose weight... I really don't get what your issue is here!
  • tennisdude2004

FFS! For the last time - I never said anyone claimed they could eat in surplus and lose weight! I just said you that can't do it!

I can say the sky is blue without saying someone else said it is pink! Or if I said it's blue would you be on at me asking who said it wasn't?

And like I said before low carb works for some without weighing, but the whole point of this post was that this is NOT working for the OP!

So I was pointing out that if she is not weighing and not losing she needs to weigh because low carb or not she will need to be in a deficit to lose weight... I really don't get what your issue is here!

Sorry, you were not making yourself clear.

I think the confusion was this paragraph

It just read (to me) that because she didn't want to weigh and count her food - you assumed she though that low carb negated the need to be in a deficit.

I was just pointing out those two things are different.

I now understand that you also think that way - great. We shall move on.:smile:
  • jamiesokd
    jamiesokd Posts: 99 Member
    I'm not sure I understand the difference between maintenance and suppressed maintenance? Isn't maintenance, maintenance? or do you mean that I was starving myself?

I took an average since the beginning of March. March was lower than April was, but the average is 1610. I reset my MFP goals, and I guess I already had it at lightly active, oops. So I got the same total as I stated before, 1750. so I guess a difference of 140, but I wasn't counting properly, so I'm guessing I was at or slightly over on average? So considering I was pretty close to my calorie goal, should I still be adding 250 or is the whole point moot?

Potential maintenance - what your body would burn without being in a diet.
    Suppressed maintenance - what it can become from undereating in a diet.

Read that link in my first post. The worst case example there suppressed their maintenance my 500 calories. 500 lower than it was expected and needed to be. 500 below the normal and expected reasons it would lower.

Not starving, but the response from the body is the first step in that stress. Move less than normal, lose muscle mass, and on top of that burn less.

So you understand that 1750 is the eating goal that _already_ has a deficit from your maintenance.
    And you were below that by 140.
    So your logging inaccuracy would have to be 140 and your whole deficit amount. Not just the 140.

And really doesn't matter what the deficit eating goal was - you, eating 1610, or a tad higher if inaccurate - are basically at maintenance now. I think the evidence points to suppressed maintenance.
    Then again, if you have dieted before and lost normal amounts of muscle mass already, your maintenance may be less. But sure hate to lose more muscle mass and turn this into a life-long habit.

Read the info, you decide what you want to do.
    If you think your food logging was that bad really - then drop your calories by 500 and eat 1100 calories to lose 1 lb weekly.
    You'll know it's an inaccurate 1100 calories, and in reality eating somewhere above there.

But as weight drops, your daily energy burn drops. Therefore your eating level must drop to keep losing weight. Usually roughly 100 calories per 10 lbs.
    How many lbs to go?
    What will be the eating level then? 1100 now, 1000, then 900, then 800, then 700, then .... really? Sustainable, adherable?
    Of course as some point you should switch to only 250 less calories. But still, how low can you go?
    And what does maintenance look like? 600 plus the 250 deficit you had - eating 850 for maintenance? And anything over, vacation, splurges, ect, are going on as fat, because they are excess to maintenance.

Or test for 2 weeks.

Thank you very much for all your patience and advice!!! I am going out today to buy that scale, and I am going to try to up those calories (and log them correctly!) and see what happens. I look at that example of dropping calories per 10 lbs, and I will have to drop at least another 500 by the time I reach just my first goal - add that to an additional deficit, and that would be extreme.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Well, to lose weight you MUST eat less calories than you burn.

^ This