Low carb or calories, which is best? which will work?

Options

Replies

• kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Because it's not a license to eat several thousand calories a day and still lose weight. You still need a deficit.

OP isn't losing because she's not in a deficit. Low carb or not is irrelevant to that.

Agreed, but a lot of people on low carb find eating in a deficit without logging food easier because of the reduced appetite.

It is certainly wise for someone switching from calorie counting to low carb to keep recording food for a period of time until they get efficient at controlling there eating pattern.

My point is that this is clearly not working for the OP so she needs to count calories. Low carb doesn't negate the need for a deficit.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Add exercise to your routine. I know you're busy. If you don't have time for a complete workout, break it up... Use the stairs wherever you go. Try 2sets of squats at morning tea/lunch and press ups after work. A lunch time walk, 10-15mins. It all adds up.
    I am also experimenting with a low carb diet. Have found that I need to plan ahead to keep on track.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    weigh and measure your foods accurately - so yes a scale is needed

I also noticed you don't track your sodium - just wondering if it's been high at all? High sodium can cause some water retention so the stall on the scale could also be that. I pay most attention to getting enough protein, try to stay under on sodium, everything else falls into place.

If you have no medical reason to track your sugars I would switch it up for sodium.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Because it's not a license to eat several thousand calories a day and still lose weight. You still need a deficit.

OP isn't losing because she's not in a deficit. Low carb or not is irrelevant to that.

Agreed, but a lot of people on low carb find eating in a deficit without logging food easier because of the reduced appetite.

It is certainly wise for someone switching from calorie counting to low carb to keep recording food for a period of time until they get efficient at controlling there eating pattern.

My point is that this is clearly not working for the OP so she needs to count calories. Low carb doesn't negate the need for a deficit.

Who is suggesting that low carb negates the need to eat in a deficit?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    OP try to incorporate some exercise - even if you only start with some easy walks each day or every other day.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

Tennis Dude no low carb book I've ever read mentions calorie counting! It's the big selling point!

You know that! We know that! It's what makes it so appealing! Freedom!
  • peacelars
    Options
    If you do not lose on a calorie deficit, there might be several reasons for this:
    1) Calorie limit is too high
    2) Under-estimating your calories
    3) Over-estimating your bmr and/or cals burnt during exercise
    4) Gaining muscle
    5) Undiagnosed health condition

For me... I'd stick to calories because it's easiest... And I like carby goodness.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Tennis Dude no low carb book I've ever read mentions calorie counting! It's the big selling point!

Low carb isn't for everyone, some people like the comfort of logging food. I'm not a low carb salesman and especially on this thread the OP clearly would like to stick with calorie counting (or I think that's what she wants to do, now that I've read through the other posts).

I'm curious why kuolo thinks that low carb is claiming to be a weight loss diet, without having to eat in a deficit?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the difference between maintenance and suppressed maintenance? Isn't maintenance, maintenance? or do you mean that I was starving myself?

Eating 1700 calories and maintaining - you're just eating too much.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

Low carb isn't for everyone, some people like the comfort of logging food. I'm not a low carb salesman and especially on this thread the OP clearly would like to stick with calorie counting (or I think that's what she wants to do, now that I've read through the other posts).

I'm curious why kuolo thinks that low carb is claiming to be a weight loss diet, without having to eat in a deficit?

Again, that's the whole selling point of low carb, the illusion that you can eat protein to your hearts content.

I've grown up amongst it! Nobody ever counted calories. It works for a bit while you get the water drop and eventually we all got sick go it and it didn't work anymore.

Are you still curious? The general public think it's a magic trick. Did you read Atkins? It's the great magic antidote to horrible restricting shackling calorie counting! Except it doesn't really work long term!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    The best approach is the one you can stick to and happily live with.

I rather suspect for most people that will be calorie counting based as it allows for flexibility and greater food choices. For some people though it maybe low carb which causes a spontaneous calorie deficit and that is cool too.

ETA: so whatever method you choose stick to it for a suitable amount of time (say 13 weeks) and then tweak as necessary if there is no movement in that time frame rather than the short term where scale readings will fluctuate (which is to be expected.)
  • yourpalsoap
    Options
    You need carbohydrates to effectively absorb water, so when you start a low-carb diet your body gets dehydrated and you appear to lose a lot of ~weight~ on the scale but really it's just a lack of water. if you want to actually lose fat, start as you mean to go on and just have a moderate calorie deficit.

Every cell in your body is 70% water. MMA fighters lose 15lbs in 1 week leading up to a fight by bathing in salt baths and eating low-carb so that they can be in a lower weight category without losing any fat or muscle, only water.

So I guess it depends, would you rather see a smaller number on a scale that is completely arbitrary and only you will see? All the while being extremely crabby from dehydration and not being able to eat the foods that you want. Or do you want to actually lose fat and make a difference to your body?
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    There is not a best.

Weight Loss = Calorie Deficit

Low carb is more of a lifestyle choice (unless you have a medical condition).

Most people who do low carb are creating a calorie deficit without even realising it, they are not special *snowflakes*, they cannot eat over their TDEE on low carb and still lose weight.

Unless you want to eat low carb as a lifestyle choice for the rest of your life, my suggestion would be instead to eat in moderation from all food groups.

There are no "good" or "bad" foods, there is however the need to have portion control, to eat a variety of foods, and finally the will to eat at a deficit (fat can only be lost by burning it, and cannot be spot reduced).

Calories In vs Calories Out with a deficit will see you lose weight, if you aren't losing weight then you are not in a deficit.

Having a good nutritional balance and taking exercise will see you lose weight, lose less lean body mass, and have a better body composition.

Although of course there is the issue that if you have been a yo-yo dieter and eating low calories for a long time, your body may not be operating at peak efficiency, so you may want to eat at maintenance for a time, and then start again with the weight loss.

Just my thoughts, I'm not a doctor.
    People are welcome to disagree with me, this is the internet after all :tongue:

As a last note, reading the posts at the beginning, it read as if you are looking for a quick fix, there is no quick fix. You need to make the time to do these things, as it needs to be change of attitude that will take you forward for the rest of your life. :flowerforyou:

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to read this whole thread but I just wanted to offer a couple if points. Weighing your food will seem like a big pain at first but it will get easier and you'll be so glad you did. I've been weighing my food to to the gram and it makes such a difference. In some cases you'll be pleasantly surprised. I recently found out that 50g of feta is a lot more than I thought, and so is 50g of avocado -- two of my favorites for salads!

I had been losing and gaining the same 2-4 lbs since December -- exasperating! Every morning I'd grit my teeth and get on the scale and just spend the rest of the day cranky and stressing about food and my weight. On April 1 my dietitian made me promise not to weigh myself for month. At first I thought she was nuts but it's been such a relief not to have to worry about it! I put all of my energy into planning and weighing my meals and I don't give a thought to my weight. My clothes are looser and I *think* I look better. I admit I'm looking forward to May 1 so I can get on the scale, but I'm definitely going to keep it down to once a month

Hang in there. Above all, DON'T GIVE UP!!!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Again, that's the whole selling point of low carb, the illusion that you can eat protein to your hearts content.

I've grown up amongst it! Nobody ever counted calories. It works for a bit while you get the water drop and eventually we all got sick go it and it didn't work anymore.

Are you still curious? The general public think it's a magic trick. Did you read Atkins? It's the great magic antidote to horrible restricting shackling calorie counting! Except it doesn't really work long term!

It's certainly not my illusion, plus I try to stick to moderate protein and not high (hard sometimes as I am a self confessed carnivore)!

Agreed that when Atkins first hit the scene (and other LCHF diets) that was the message that you could eat as much as you want and not gain weight.

However over the past couple of decades most (if not all) have changed their message and actively promote eating in a deficit for weigh loss!

I got into LCHF through the Primal Blue print and that is very much the message that is promoted via MDA.

I would suggest that both LCHF works long term and calorie counting works long term. I would also say neither work long term.

It is down to the individual doing the diet - for me calorie counting is unnecessary and totally unsustainable and definitely shackling. That said for the next guy it may be totally necessary and totally sustainable.

I personally do not promote LCHF to someone who doesn't want to do and I do not promote medium to high carb calorie counting to someone who is looking at doing low carb - unlike others on these forums.
  • msf74
    Options

I would suggest that both LCHF works long term and calorie counting works long term. I would also say neither work long term.

It is down to the individual doing the diet - for me calorie counting is unnecessary and totally unsustainable and definitely shackling. That said for the next guy it may be totally necessary and totally sustainable.

You mean - there is no One True Way? Shocking suggestion.

Adherence to a way of eating which prompts a calorie deficit for a sufficient period of time will result in successful weight loss.

You know what is better than misery in securing adherence?

Happiness. Weird, I know.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

You mean - there is no One True Way? Shocking suggestion.

Adherence to a way of eating which prompts a calorie deficit for a sufficient period of time will result in successful weight loss.

You know what is better than misery in securing adherence?

Happiness. Weird, I know.

It's a point I beat to death on occasion.

You'll be surprised by the numbers of people who don't believe it.

Sadly anyone doing something different from the majority is seen as - trying to be superior. lol

(Froggie wasn't better he was just different)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I took the liberty of looking at the OP's salt, sugar and fibre intake over two weeks. Please do not be offended because I consider both your fat and salt intake is often way above your recommended levels. Salt encourages water retention. Higher than recommended fat consumption will give you more readily available fat to convert rather than take it from your reserves. All the time you are under your calorific allocation. Please try to bring down the daily salt and fat levels and I think you will see a real difference. I would prefer to see a higher fibre regime though this is possibly more of a personal choice but it helps me.

Also if you have lost 15 or so lb from January this looks like about I lb a week which is the recommended weekly loss many medics like to see.

If after all this there is no real difference then I would have my metabolism looked into. There are many different issues which cause weight gain and weight loss being more difficult.

All the best
  • msf74
    Options

You'll be surprised by the numbers of people who don't believe it.

I suspect the biggest issue is that sometimes outlandish claims get made or hinted at such as you can eat more than your TDEE and still elicit fat loss with a certain way of eating or low carb is somehow superior when calories are being monitored (in a free living scenario the situation with obese / sedentary populations it may be slightly different.)

I think the clear and over riding message must be that all you really need to lose weight is a calorie deficit over time. How you choose to find yourself in that state (calorie counting / Paleo / Atkins whatever) is pretty much down to the individual and what suits their preferences and makes them happy.

That message will free many people.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    mission - I have lost 18 lbs so far, and I am happy with it, don't get me wrong. But 13 of those lbs happened in two weeks. The other 5 lbs have been spread out since January. So really, a little over a pound a month? I should be losing more than that.

trog - I have not been weighing my food, but I do measure it carefully. I already tend to come in between 100-500 calories below my goal, or I have for the last 6 weeks. well. I would say 3/4 of the time I am lower, the other 1/4 is at or slightly higher. So if I am to reduce by 100, I have still mostly been eating at that level. So should I go even lower?
    get a food scale.
    weigh everything.

until you do that, you don't know how much you're eating and there's absolutely no way of knowing what else to tell you.

you say you're eating a certain amount, but the fact of it is.. you don't know how much you're eating on a regular basis and we're all just giving guess-work.

don't reduce anything at this point. pick a number. any number eat 1600 calories per day for 6 weeks. if you've gained at the end, look at the amount gained and tweak your intake from there.

ETA: and just flat out ignore these "coaches" that ask you to send them private messages on here. they're out to make a buck.

^ listen to this guy ….

also be warned that if you go back to eating regular level of carbs you will gain a few pounds of water weight, which is not fat but the scale will go up and then go back down …

Low calorie works for everyone…you are either not accurately measuring your calories or you are over estimating calorie burns...