If you could buy any ONE home exercise machine...

Options

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Not a machine but I'd buy a free weight set that includes a squat rack and bench with dumbbells, barbell and plate weights. I just 'might' me putting a little personal bias in that. Cardio can be done anywhere (running, jogging, jumping jacks, jump roap, laying on your back and bike pedaling).

I don't like to spend money on things I can already do for free.
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    How about an aerobic step? Cheap, portable, quiet & good cardio.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I'm 100% going with a punching bag, and I've got some options to think about for a machine. I think I might end up with an elliptical, because my knees are dodgy.

I'd love to get weights, but I've never lifted and I think starting in my garage is a good way to do myself some serious damage.
  • shawmutt
    shawmutt Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Professional treadmill. I have a pretty good one now, but one with all the bells and whistles would be nice. I can do everything else with body weight.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I'm 100% going with a punching bag, and I've got some options to think about for a machine. I think I might end up with an elliptical, because my knees are dodgy.

I'd love to get weights, but I've never lifted and I think starting in my garage is a good way to do myself some serious damage.

I'm not going to tell you that your opinion is "wrong", but...

...a great many people started lifting in their garages/basements with wonderful success. The secret to avoiding "serious damage" is to progress at an appropriate rate. 98.44% of lifting injuries are from trying to do too much too fast too quickly too soon etc. (Of course the same can be said of running and other forms of exercise.)
  • 24lol25
    24lol25 Posts: 49
    Options
    An elliptical.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I love my adjustable dumbbells -- Bowflex Select-Tech that adjust from 5 to 52.5 pounds. Although I can't do barbell squats or traditional deadlifts, I can do a lot of squat and DL variations, as well as lunges, split squats and arm isolation exercises. They would be great for someone starting out with weights who doesn't have room for a power rack.

The only cardio machine I use when I go to the gym is a rowing machine. Others are right -- you can do cardio for free by walking, jumping rope, exercise videos, etc. I guess if I lived in a cold climate where I couldn't get outside for a significant portion of the year, I might consider a treadmill for running.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Power rack, bench, olympic weight set was my first purchase - and zero regrets.

If you have the room I would go for this, you can always get cardio somehow, lots of videos etc you can get free off the internet
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Plenty on here have done weights on their own - there's loads of excellent and detailed resources out there on how to do it injury-free.

MFP is one such resource - often see people posting up a video for a "form check" on one of their lifts and so on.

I've never had instruction apart from these here internets - saying that, I do need to sort my power clean form - but I've found plenty of info, just need to put it into practice :).
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I would not trade my gym membership for any one piece of equipment. I use the gym for weights, and get my cardio by walking and running outside, but if weather took a turn, I know I would have a variety of high quality machines to choose from at the gym with no commitment, and STILL have my weights there too. However, a heavy bag or pedestal would be AWESOME to have at home.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    A chin up bar!!!!!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    An elliptical machine with varied programs and built in heart rate monitor.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I love the heavy bag I have hanging in my basement. :D.

Great call OP
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical.
  • ShadeyC
    ShadeyC Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    This is way more than what I need right now, but I I could buy ANY thing this would be it.

http://www.roguefitness.com/r6-power-rack.php?gclid=COPG36DO-70CFexcMgodKVoAJg

102rotl.jpg

Absolutely this.
  • ShadeyC
    ShadeyC Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Oh and in terms of cardio machines....rowing machine for the win.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    The Assisted pullups machine.
  • scrappinkar
    scrappinkar Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I really love my elliptical trainer. It really is easier on your knees than running or even walking on a hard surface. My husband and kids use it, too. I can't watch tv while I do it~I need my music to keep me on pace! Good luck with whatever machine you choose!
  • mercurywinks
    mercurywinks Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Have you noticed how no one seems to agree on what to buy? Its because everyone is different. Everyone's fitness needs are different. If you SET on having a machine in your home to use go to the gym and learn to use them all. Try them out and see which one fits you best. Then buy that one.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you that your opinion is "wrong", but...

...a great many people started lifting in their garages/basements with wonderful success.

Build the entire weightroom for $400 from craigslist and people tossing stuff out.

>1000+ lbs of plates, from 1.25 lbs to 100 lbs
    >eight bars, including EZ curl and triceps bars
    >collars everywhere
    >lat pulldown
    >platform
    >bumper plates
    >flat bench
    >bench, squat, and overhead press cages

We bought a NordicTrack treadmill over a decade ago, just replaced the worn-out belt.