people who spend 2hrs/per day working out

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 year old and almost 10 year old. I'm lifting my 7 year old right now. My ten year old is almost as big as me, so she can spot me. Don't worry, I won't get hurt.

(This is not serious)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    2 hours is way too long for me. I have 1 hour a day and I make it count w/ high intensity. Quality over quantity wins every time in my book.

I wish people would stop assuming just because my work out is an hour and forty five minutes I'm doing effing nothing at the gym.

I lift- I get a lot done- it takes me over an hour to do it.

that doesn't mean I'm inefficient and I have a crappy work out.

jesush that's annoying.

QFT!

One time I was quite pushed for time, as I got there later than I wanted to. I cut my rest times to the minimum I could and still be able to do my sets/reps, and my accessories I did as a superset to get it done quicker, as they were completely different muscles. There was no spare time to mess around and/or do nothing, and by the end I was exhausted - it felt like cardio!

Even that took me 1hr 30 minutes and I won't be repeating it like that unless necessary! I was lucky that my sets/reps that day were fairly light and not my really heavy day or I would've needed longer breaks and ended up run out of time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Didn't mean anything about them getting to close? I am assuming that the kids aren't strong enough to spot you.....what happens when you can't get the weight up?

learn how to properly fail a lift- I never lift with a spotter.

There was no spare time to mess around and/or do nothing, and by the end I was exhausted - it felt like cardio!

indeed- you CAN get some cardio in doing super set stuff and cutting rests short- but if you're doing a thing with lifting- sometimes that's just not what you want!!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    You either have to choose kids or working out. That's why I didn't have kids. Because I want to be able to work out for 3 hours/day. I would either look for a babysitter or a dog who is really good with kids. The herding types seem to work best...... Good luck

Is this a joke? I think she wants serious answers. You may have to invest in a few home equipments to cut on time spent commuting to the gym.

Does it sound like joke? Why would you have kids if you want to work out that much?

You can work out that much and have kids.

Scenario:

Put kids to bed, work out.

Early in the morning while kids are still in bed, work out.

I know many fit parents that do just this.

How do you lift heavy weights while the kids are in bed? Do you leave them with a babysitter/dog (see earlier post) or do you do it at home without a spotter? Because that doesn't sound very safe.

Weight bench and squat machine in the garage. Do you think you have to have eyes on your kids while they sleep? Well, my sister in law does so she has one of those camera baby monitors even though the kid is now 5.

And they have these nifty safety lifting devises that are great for solo lifters. I don't have the kid issue but I do have the solo issue and they are great for those times when you hit a fatigue fail.

I have never seen a bench press with a safety lifting device. What is a squat machine?

I use adjustable bar stops that I place next to my bench for bench presses or on the sides of my squat rack. They are great. They are separate pieces of equipment that I purchased separately.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    People are getting offended.

LOL. Seriously, it's a pretty well-known fact. I don't think there is a single trainer out there that would say that to get in shape and be fit you need to work out more than 1 hour. It's just well-documented and understood.

With that being said, if you do more than that, it's fine. But, it's worth looking at what you are doing and why you are doing it and maybe rethinking it. More is not better. I see it everyday, and I just can't understand it. I see people doing crazy workouts for hours, It's insane because it's unnecessary, and at some point, the exercise decreases in effectiveness.

Although it has nothing to do with the OP in terms of what we know about her goals.....

....In terms of the need to train more than an hour a day, you've never run a competitve marathon, or raced in a bike race that is 2 - 5 hours I guess. There are a lot of endurance athletes that put in a ton of miles to build, and peak for long duration events. Be it a 50 mile mountain bike race, a full length marathon, a 2 hour CAT 1/Elite/Pro XC mountain bike race, a road bike stage race, a century, etc... None of them got there on doing a bunch of 1 hour or less workouts... '-]

Me next to the bearded guy laughing at the thought of doing 1 hour or less training rides to be able to compete in this picture from a 66 mile gravel race that took several hours earlier this month...

13667740864_83aa8a5d38.jpg

Marathon lead group laughing at the suggestion of only working out for 1 hour to get across the finish line...

12369980034_975a68ee49.jpgmar-leaders

Just saying - don't clump everyone together. There are millions of endurance athletes in the US alone. And yes, many use MFP, MapMyRide, MapMyRun, etc....

Now, if you'll excuse me - I'm headed out for a Zone 2, two hour ride on the bike because my coach told me that is what I have to ride today within my training plan.
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    30 min. strength

30 min. cardio

This is what i do.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Working out 2 hrs a day is absolutely retarded.
    No matter what.

:noway:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    No matter what.

Even if it's a job requirement.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Arnold use to workout 4-5 hrs a day... Go as hard as you want. The more time you put in, the quicker the results.

arnold-schwarzenegger-pic+%25289%2529.jpg
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    No matter what.

It's funny listening to weak people who think their perspective matters
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    If I was just "staying in shape" I doubt I'd ever work out for more than 45 minutes 5 times a week. If I'm testing or competing I will work out harder, longer to meet my goals.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    No matter what.

heh.

Lions do not concern themselves with the opinions of sheep.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No matter what.

heh.

Lions do not concern themselves with the opinions of sheep.

I love this! :laugh:
  • awomaame25
    awomaame25 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    hahaaaaaaaaaaaa
    welcome to MFP; where people can be mean, others can be polite, and some be as sweet as lolly.
    Anyways thanks for your responses and the time and effort y'all put in to reply. Thanks everyone.
    :smile:
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    While I understand certain goals require lengthy workouts, but outside of a very narrow band of people, working out 2hrs a day is highly inefficient or unneccesary for the majority of people.

You're so right. The two and a half hour hike I just took provided no benefit. Next time I think about wasting a morning like that, I'll be smarter: I'll spend 45minutes on an elliptical, then an hour with a therapist talking about my relationship with my mother.

Who needs a therapist when you have ice cream?!

I don't have Talenti German Chocolate Cake or ANY Jenni's.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    People are getting offended.

LOL. Seriously, it's a pretty well-known fact. I don't think there is a single trainer out there that would say that to get in shape and be fit you need to work out more than 1 hour. It's just well-documented and understood.

With that being said, if you do more than that, it's fine. But, it's worth looking at what you are doing and why you are doing it and maybe rethinking it. More is not better. I see it everyday, and I just can't understand it. I see people doing crazy workouts for hours, It's insane because it's unnecessary, and at some point, the exercise decreases in effectiveness.

Of course it gets easier or "decreases in effectiveness" - for some, that's the entire point. There would be no monster rides if it weren't for it getting easier.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    No matter what.

That's not true.

How about NBA players, or NHA players, or NFL or Olympic athletes?

That is their job...they get paid to look a certain way and be strong and have stamina.
    I don't think any of them have a 9-5 job along with their profession.

I'm a professional bellydancer AND I have a full time job.

so where does that leave me??
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Pretty much like a lot of others have said, my exercise calories are broken into smaller chunks.

I walk around the building on my morning break. I walk around the park for lunch. I do a work out video at home after work (10-30 minutes). My g/f and I walk our dogs after dinner. We also have a treadmill and elliptical we got for free from Craigslist and a recumbent bike my parents gave us. So, we do have options for working out while we watch TV.

It's just a matter of finding the balance that works for you.