America is doomed

Options

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    meh. natural selection.

It isn't natural selection when many poor people are obese because they can't afford healthy food. It's extermination. And if allowed to continue, America should be doomed.
    you do not become obese by eating what you consider nutritionally deficient food. you become obese by eating too much food, nutritious or not.

Actually, many of us find when we eat food with a lot of sugar and little nutritional value we have issues with satiety and cravings. So while you are technically correct, I believe you are wrong. And if not, so what? Years or decades of being unable to fulfill nutritional needs, especially going back to childhood, is harming and killing people, is it not? Therefore, it's still extermination, even for the ones who die thin.

So why is it that all the people with money arent skinny then? America has a food culture embedded with gluttony. The gluttony has been optional.

Just because some people can afford to eat healthy and don't doesn't lessen the plight of those who simply can't afford to. But it is a problem not confined only to the impoverished, you are right about that.
  • Jestinia
    Options
    meh. natural selection.

It isn't natural selection when many poor people are obese because they can't afford healthy food. It's extermination. And if allowed to continue, America should be doomed.

This is a myth: -

a) healthy food is not more expensive

b) if people are so poor then surely they can only afford small amounts of unhealthy food anyway. You wouldnt put on weight....

Yeah, right. Healthy food isn't more expensive. Sure. And that is why I can't afford meat anymore and have more money when I overeat because the foods I buy when I overeat are so much cheaper.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    pizza.jpg

Homemade pizza topped with: mozzerella, chedder, bell peppers, chillis, onion, garlic, and chicken.

Blame the portions, don't blame the food.

Do you deliver?
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    ****-that-*****-up-with-bacon.jpeg
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    meh. natural selection.

Can't afford healthy food??? LOL, a Banana is probably cheaper than a snickers. A plate of whole grain rice is really not more expensive than a bag of chips, a chicken breast probably cost just as much as a Mc Donald's Hamburger. Seasonal fruits and veggies are very affordable.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    meh. natural selection.

This is a myth: -

a) healthy food is not more expensive

b) if people are so poor then surely they can only afford small amounts of unhealthy food anyway. You wouldnt put on weight....

Yeah, right. Healthy food isn't more expensive. Sure. And that is why I can't afford meat anymore and have more money when I overeat because the foods I buy when I overeat are so much cheaper.
    it sounds like you're looking for excuses as to why you're overweight.

more nutrient dense foods are not more expensive, this has been addressed elsewhere on these forums. why don't you do a search and maybe you'll find some grocery shopping tips.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    meh. natural selection.

you do not become obese by eating what you consider nutritionally deficient food. you become obese by eating too much food, nutritious or not.

Actually, many of us find when we eat food with a lot of sugar and little nutritional value we have issues with satiety and cravings. So while you are technically correct, I believe you are wrong. And if not, so what? Years or decades of being unable to fulfill nutritional needs, especially going back to childhood, is harming and killing people, is it not? Therefore, it's still extermination, even for the ones who die thin.

So why is it that all the people with money arent skinny then? America has a food culture embedded with gluttony. The gluttony has been optional.

Actually, obesity correlates very closely with poverty. Generally, the higher the income, the less the chances of being obese.
  • amwbox
    Options
    meh. natural selection.

Can't afford healthy food??? LOL, a Banana is probably cheaper than a snickers. A plate of whole grain rice is really not more expensive than a bag of chips, a chicken breast probably cost just as much as a Mc Donald's Hamburger. Seasonal fruits and veggies are very affordable.

To say nothing of *drum roll*....BEANS. Can be bough in bulk for dirt cheap, and are stupendously healthy.
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    you need to travel the world. someone who create a calorie deficit with eating mcdonalds, will lose weight compared.to.someone who overeats home.cooked.food

and mcdonalds.did not invent burgers.
    america is fat because food is.oversized, including those that serve healthier options

take for example the burgers here. did you know that the kiddie size is the regular size burger in asia? the smallest soda in the us is actually the biggest in asia.

it.also does not help that people no longer eat family style so kids will learn portion size!

So the 'healthier' option is just a kiddie size?

And I thought that McDonald's salads was progress.....
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Couldn't read 11 pages of comments, sorry!

Anyway, I'm Italian, I travelled several times in the US, and your idea of a portion is much larger than the average portion of anything in Italy and Europe.

And size, sometimes, do really matter...

I remember I was incredulous observing a teenager eating in one go a plate of pasta that I would have considered enough for 3 or 4 people...

Also, your processed food tends to be higher in calories than ours. You like more intense taste, and the recipe of, e.g, coke and kitkat is different, with more sugar. i cite those because I directly compared them, and wow, I couldn't almost swallow my US kitkat, and I love sweets!
    Your burghers have to be accompanied by a lot of sauces, and so on.

So, if you put together, more caloric food, in higher quantities... here you are.

Obviously, if you have high caloric food in small quantity, everyone is happy :)

That is so true, I moved 4 years ago to the US and was almost disgusted by all that sugar in every food. They put sugar in bread and lunch meats etc. The cakes have almost more frosting an top than the caked own size. Everything is to big, to sweet, to processed etc. but people are not FORCED to eat that crap. By the way, I love and miss the real fire wood cooked italian pizza. Not many nice italian family restaurants here where I live. I can't stand all these chains anymore.

No, they are not forced, but...

I remember some show of Jamie the famous cook.
    He was trying to introduce healthy food in some schools; only when the teacher actually helped him, the kids followed his suggestions. Example: He suggested plain milk... but the kids chose chocolate milk. It was because they actually liked that one only? No, one teacher explained his pupils the pro of the plain milk, and THEN they chose the healthier milk. Only the kids of that teacher. And so on.

My daughter eat plenty of vegs.. she is 5 and she likes all kind of vegs, really... its because I always presented vegs to her.. she -unfortunately- eats not enough fruits... it's my fault, because I don't like fruit a lot, and I was less determined to help her taste the fruit...

Its a matter of "acquired taste". You learn to like what your parents and society present you... and if the society present you with too much unhealthy choices, its more difficult for you...

PS for the pizza... do it at home! It's pretty easy, you know? Even without the wook fire, it taste very good! And if you have kids, it's also fun!
  • Jestinia
    Options
    meh. natural selection.

You have to calculate it calorie for calorie, then make a balanced meal plan out of it that will get the average person through a workday without fainting from hunger. Once you do that, you realize many are stuck between a rock and a hard place: Overeat on cheap, non-nutritious foods, or starve on expensive, healthier food.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Just love the ambiente in the italian restaurants with music of Eros Ramazotti in the background.... :laugh: :laugh: Pizza Quattro Stagioni or Cappricciosa will just not taste good enogh at home in my good ole dining room :noway:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    america is fat because food is.oversized, including those that serve healthier options

take for example the burgers here. did you know that the kiddie size is the regular size burger in asia? the smallest soda in the us is actually the biggest in asia.

it.also does not help that people no longer eat family style so kids will learn portion size!

umm no, americans are fat because they choose to over eat on food..

you can get a big mac from mcdonalds for about 300 calories add in fries and it goes to 500…
    Nah, a Big Mac is 550 calories by itself. The fries are about 300.

I usually get it with no sauce..maybe that is where I got 300 from???
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Anyway, I'm Italian, I travelled several times in the US, and your idea of a portion is much larger than the average portion of anything in Italy and Europe.

I remember I was incredulous observing a teenager eating in one go a plate of pasta that I would have considered enough for 3 or 4 people...

Also, your processed food tends to be higher in calories than ours. You like more intense taste, and the recipe of, e.g, coke and kitkat is different, with more sugar. i cite those because I directly compared them, and wow, I couldn't almost swallow my US kitkat, and I love sweets!

So, if you put together, more caloric food, in higher quantities... here you are.

Obviously, if you have high caloric food in small quantity, everyone is happy :)

That is so true, I moved 4 years ago to the US and was almost disgusted by all that sugar in every food. They put sugar in bread and lunch meats etc. The cakes have almost more frosting an top than the caked own size. Everything is to big, to sweet, to processed etc. but people are not FORCED to eat that crap. By the way, I love and miss the real fire wood cooked italian pizza. Not many nice italian family restaurants here where I live. I can't stand all these chains anymore.

so Italian bread is sugar free?????????
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Maybe they have magical yeast in Italy that doesn't need to eat in order to make bread rise?
  • aliu00
    aliu00 Posts: 61
    Options
    as long as we try to change a little every day, things will get better. Education does work. If people are aware the real problems , people will work toward the better.
  • amwbox
    Options

Maybe they have magical yeast in Italy that doesn't need to eat in order to make bread rise?

Traditional breads, both French and Italian, are in fact sugar free. The yeast does not require added sugar, contrary to popular myth. The starch itself is all the food yeast needs.

Bread by default is flour, salt, water, and yeast. Anything else is considered "enriched" bread.

I've been baking artisan bread for over a decade now.
  • IsabellaGiano
    Options
    meh. natural selection.

Actually, obesity correlates very closely with poverty. Generally, the higher the income, the less the chances of being obese.

A lot of stuff correlate without being really causally connected...

As pastafarians very well know :) , the numbers of pirate in time anticorrelate with the number of natural catastrophe in the world...

i would think that obesity may correlate with various thing... ignorance, for example, and yes, food abundance. Ignorance usually go hand by hand with poverty.

In italy we were very poor once... finding enough food was THE struggle.. my grandmother and gran-grandmother were extremely poor, and extremely skinny... like all the people they knew... they usually had a few beens, a few bread, a slice of cornmeal mush. And a small packet of sugar was considered cool as a wedding present.
    A bit of milk and a egg, was a meal.
    And so on, and so on.
  • Sun_Wukong
    Sun_Wukong Posts: 131
    Options
    Every day there is news about catastrophes such as war, murder, famine, poverty, natural disasters and the OP is focused on a cheap pizza being advertised...yep their focal point seems legit.
  • IsabellaGiano
    Options

I cannot bet on it.
    But I can bet on the fact that US use more sugar. I mean, I compared it for several foods, I tasted it and I looked at the labels when I could.
    Didn't have a look at the ingredient list for the bread though.
This discussion has been closed.