• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yes because these types of foods are what we were meant to eat….duhhhhh

but seriously, gross, who still eats that crap
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    There shouldn't be confusion over why so many Americans are overweight when a popular pizza chain advertises on the radio a new "double pepperoni and bacon" pizza. I'm sure most people who eat something like that don't know or care how much fat and calories they are getting. The restaurant would say they are just giving people what they want.

How is that different from a bakery that sells a "death by chocolate" cake, or cupcakes by the dozen? If somebody eats a slice of pizza (or a slice of cake or anything else) and doesn't know or doesn't care how many calories they're consuming, that's their own problem. And why do you think you're the only person who knows that a pizza topped with loads of bacon, pepperoni, and cheese has a lot of calories?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I was actually just thinking...
    Surely someone could have just bought TWO pizzas before? Certainly it's not uncommon to see people buying two burgers in McDonalds, say.

But from that, perhaps fast food joints should have to restrict the amount of food they sell to fat people, just as here pubs aren't supposed to serve drunk people more alcohol? "Sorry sir, you've had enough, we'll order you a taxi"... only for them to go down the road and try and get some pizza from the next place! But, sure we could have some sort of 'pizza watch', so if they're stopped in one place, all the others are alerted too!
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Of course it's all about portion sized, but America really IS doomed.
    I am usually a healthy weight (I live in Europe) and I never cared about how much of what I ate, my eating habits were just fine.

But when I was 15 I decided to do an exchange year in america - and oh boy did I become overweight!
    And that's a common phenomena. Pretty much all exchange students gain weight when they go over there.
    I don't think most americans' EATING HABITS are bad, just the FOOD is bad. For example if you get a pizza in germany, you would usually eat the whole thing. But it still contains less fat than just one slice of pizza in america.
    So whenever I just ate the same amount of food I would in Europe - I would gain weight.
    I don't think you guys are eating too much, your food is just beyond unhealthy.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    But when I was 15 I decided to do an exchange year in america - and oh boy did I become overweight!
    And that's a common phenomena. Pretty much all exchange students gain weight when they go over there.
    I don't think most americans' EATING HABITS are bad, just the FOOD is bad. For example if you get a pizza in germany, you would usually eat the whole thing. But it still contains less fat than just one slice of pizza in america.
    End well this will not.

Culture shock often results in nutritional problems because you learn eating habits based on one culinary tradition and then must adapt to another which humans aren't awesome at. It's easier for people who grew up in that tradition.

With that being said, you are correct that fast/street food is very calorically dense in the US, but that's not wrong or doom-inducing in and of itself.
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    End well this will not.

Culture shock often results in nutritional problems because you learn eating habits based on one culinary tradition and then must adapt to another which humans aren't awesome at. It's easier for people who grew up in that tradition.

With that being said, you are correct that fast/street food is very calorically dense in the US, but that's not wrong or doom-inducing in and of itself.

But I work with lots and lots of exchange students to this day, and it's not very common for someone going to Japan or Sweden to gain weight. It's mainly america. Also, since I am from Germany the culture shock wasn't too big. The food shock was huge though. I just wasn't used to the food.
    How can kids adapt a healthy lifestyle when they get fries with mayonaise for lunch in school, cookies in the library and free pizza when they get good grades?
    Of course it's a choice to say no and it is possible to eat healthy if you really want to, but you have to actively decide to do so. It's not common.
  • kilsafari
    kilsafari Posts: 61
    Options
    YAWN

*orders pizza*
  • 6ronXtreme9
    6ronXtreme9 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I am not an american but gotta say americans are the one who wins most numbers of medal in olympics :/

Not sure how this is relevant?

USA is one of the biggest nations population wise and one of the richest - of course it should, purely on that basis, win most number of Olympic medals.

But what does this prove?

Totally random to the thread :indifferent:
    Except it appears Americans don't like winter.

I can smell russians -_-
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    There shouldn't be confusion over why so many Americans are overweight when a popular pizza chain advertises on the radio a new "double pepperoni and bacon" pizza. I'm sure most people who eat something like that don't know or care how much fat and calories they are getting. The restaurant would say they are just giving people what they want.

And they are, people can eat what they want as far as i'm concerned, no one else's business

The obesity problem costs all of us because unhealthy people are a much larger burden on the health care system.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    WHAT?!?! PEPPERONI AND BACON ON THE SAME PIZZA!?!? THOSE *kitten*! THEY'LL KILL US ALL!!!!
    airplane-panic-o.gif

tumblr_lxx5h2FyVx1rn95k2o1_500.gif
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    There shouldn't be confusion over why so many Americans are overweight when a popular pizza chain advertises on the radio a new "double pepperoni and bacon" pizza.
    Eeewwwww that IS horrible...

...because pepperoni is nasty.
    can I just get it with triple bacon?
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Muppets.gif
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

And they are, people can eat what they want as far as i'm concerned, no one else's business

The obesity problem costs all of us because unhealthy people are a much larger burden on the health care system.

I've been heavy for a good portion of my adult life and obese for about 10 years. Not once have I been to the emergency room on anyone else's dime. I've been to the free clinic exactly one time: last Wednesday. I would venture a guess that there are more people out there who are like me, rather than the stereotypical ER-abusing Capt. Fatty that people like to whine about. I will grant you that there are people like my roommate, who went to the ER every time she felt slightly ill because she had no regular doctor and a plethora of health issues. She was quite a bit lighter than me, too. She's even lighter now, now that she's dead. But yeah, she used to brag about how much smaller her clothes were than mine . . .
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    There shouldn't be confusion over why so many Americans are overweight when a popular pizza chain advertises on the radio a new "double pepperoni and bacon" pizza.
    Eeewwwww that IS horrible...

...because pepperoni is nasty.
    can I just get it with triple bacon?

Just get extra bacon and extra cheese to drown out the pepperoni. Cooked crispy enough around the edges it can add a bit of a zing to the pizza, brightens the blandness of the mozzarella cheese, and brings out the bacon flavor quite nicely. :)
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I am fat because I have no self control.

Instead of eating a couple slices of that pizza, I would eat the whole damn thing.

I would be fat regardless of where I lived...

Other countries have FAR better food than the US.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Mothers and fathers are obligated to do the best they can to be able to care for their children. Obese parents with limited mobility and potential health risks who simply eat too much are not putting their children's well-being as a priority.

My mum is classed as "obese" and also has limited mobility because of unrelated health problems. She put my wellbeing above her own at all times. You seriously have some absolute nerve to imply that obesity makes you a bad, negligent or selfish parent...weight has nothing to do with one's parenting skills. Your comment is disgustingly offensive.

You're taking it way too personally. If we're going to talk about general obesity, individual outlying stories are always going to exist.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Mothers and fathers are obligated to do the best they can to be able to care for their children. Obese parents with limited mobility and potential health risks who simply eat too much are not putting their children's well-being as a priority.

My mum is classed as "obese" and also has limited mobility because of unrelated health problems. She put my wellbeing above her own at all times. You seriously have some absolute nerve to imply that obesity makes you a bad, negligent or selfish parent...weight has nothing to do with one's parenting skills. Your comment is disgustingly offensive.

You're taking it way too personally. If we're going to talk about general obesity, individual outlying stories are always going to exist.

Nice to see that bias against the obese isn't offensive to anyone any longer. Wheeeeee! Free stereotypes for everyone!
  • 6ronXtreme9
    6ronXtreme9 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I am fat because I have no self control.

Instead of eating a couple slices of that pizza, I would eat the whole damn thing.

I would be fat regardless of where I lived...

Other countries have FAR better food than the US.

I appreciate your honesty!
  • Maryanne1923
    Maryanne1923 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Omg pizza, and hamburgers, and donuts! We're all gonna die in a sea of obesity! We can't run to Mexico because they have burritos, and we have to avoid Canada because of that damn poutine! Doomed! Doomed, I say!

Lol :laugh:

come to Europe we have stingy little portions - oh wait, we have obesity too
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You might be successful if you stop separating foods into lists of 'good' and 'bad.' That is not a useful exercise.
This discussion has been closed.