When did it hit you that you weren't fat anymore?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I still see myself as chubby. Sometimes I'll try some clothes on and I'll think that it does look good on me, but I still see myself as chubby...
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Well, at a size 16 I'm technically the "average woman" in Britain. I still identify as fat though. I had never considered I wasn't. But a couple months ago, I was in a discussion with a woman who is probably the same size I was 172 lbs ago about her own attempt to lose weight. She doesn't know anything about my weight loss and she was talking about really denying herself certain foods and what a struggle it was. I said that it's ok to have treats occasionally, and she said, "Yeah, but you're not fat like me." I was actually stunned into silence. We were in a group, so I didn't get a chance to explain, but that was the first time, and it really caught me off guard.

Also, one day, around the same time, my husband mentioned that some people wouldn't consider me fat any more and I immediately jumped in with, "No, no, no. I am." Like, I didn't even want to entertain the possibility that I'm not fat.

I think it might all be something for me to reflect upon, really.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    When I was out in public and started noticing men "checking me out" again. That didn't happen when I was fat.
  • janellyf
    janellyf Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was standing on a corner waiting for a light to change to cross the road on my lunchtime walk, cars whizzing by, with my hands on my hips, and it occurred to me that those people whizzing by did not see a fat person. I could feel my hip bones and the fact that I wasn't thick anymore.

I just had this happen this past week. I was standing there talking to my husband. I had my hands on my hips and I thought: "OMG! Those are my hip bones."

I still am not used to buying a size 6. I have to remind myself that I don't need to go to Lane Bryant. I just bought a Northface jacket in a size small over the weekend. It fits perfect, but my mind just can't understand how that is possible. I wonder if my mind will every catch up to my body?!
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    A friend of a friend, who I see roughly once every 5 or 10 years, but we hung out quite a bit in college a million years ago, didn't recognize me at a function when I was at my heaviest. It really hurt, especially since she was thin and gorgeous.

A few months ago, I ran into the same friend of a friend at a function. She has gained a lot of weight (still gorgeous though, the brat!). Anyway, I said hi to her and sat next to her for a good few minutes, when she turned to me again, and introduced herself! She didn't recognize me at my smaller size. When I told her who I was, she was shocked and started reminiscing about the good old college days. She never mentioned my weight (when I was bigger or now) but I know it was shocking to her BOTH times.

Then, this past Saturday, my daughter had a softball game and it was really cold out. Another set of parents heard me wishing for a blanket or extra jacket and said, "You must be freezing because you're so TINY!" I laughed so hard, then realized that they have only known me for a few months, and never knew I used to be morbidly obese.

It's still a process, trying to convince myself I'm not the fat girl anymore. I've been maintaining for over a year now, and some days I feel thin and fit, and others I still see myself at nearly 300 pounds. I'm not sure I'll every just feel naturally thin again, like I did in my youth before I gained the weight.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Still working on it, mentally. ohwell
    You should know how great you look.
    I'm still waiting for that moment.

This girl is certifiably hot.
    I'm still technically fat but yeah, still waiting to feel less so. I legit asked my sister this weekend if my mirror made me look smaller than I am because I just cannot compute

You're technically stunning.
    I am waiting to hit that. But I I recently started fitting into Junior plus. I am no longer stuck at shopping at the BIG girl stores. Which helps my wallet

Only store you need to be shopping at is the SEXY girl store.
    I'll let you know when it happens. Old mental patterns are hard to break.

Break that **** hard, because you are every different kind of gorgeous.

Because I just couldn't stand by while such amazing women felt bad about the way they look.
    (also I don't care how much I lost, I still feel like a fat goblin 90% of the time. Shut up. You won't change my mind)

This was awesome. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Agree. I spent a long time thinking that I didn't actually look like my photos or video. And then one day it hit me how ridiculous I would think it was if someone else said that. People do look like their pictures, often even better. So it must be true. I have lots of beautiful friends here who don't give themselves enough credit.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    It finally hit me the other day that I wasnt fat anymore! I saw my shadow, looked down at it and smiled so big. I still have a few little areas to work on but for the most part I am so happy!!! Im down about 40lbs in a year and for being a shortie (5'2") that was a lot of weight to hold onto. Gonna keep it off and enjoy looking at the new beautiful me.

Saw your shadow? Thanks for the extra winter. That was really great, really...
  • Jeffs_Jess
    Options
    I notice how much weight I've lost the most when I see myself in recent photos. I was just at a wedding on the weekend and was in some pictures with my significant other and I thought, holy crap, that's you!?
    Also, I notice it a lot when I go into a store and go for items that I would have Never tried on before, because I didn't think they'd look good on me.
    But, I still have my days when I see an overweight girl staring back at me. The proof is on the scale. I'm not obese anymore. But, having been overweight my Entire life, until this point, it's hard to see the new me.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I am still fat/overweight (technically obese), HOWEVER, I am also half the size I used to be and I wear sizes 14 and 16. The changes hit me when I see my waist, neck and collarbones (I have those! Who knew?), or when one of my animals sits on my lap (I have that? Since when????). When I pull my jeans out of the dryer to fold, they just look so tiny (i.e. "Normal people sized").

That being said, I still avoid crowds, crowded areas and small spaces for fear of bumping into everything/everyone. I still mentally measure whether a chair will hold my weight, and I sit down as gingerly as possible while holding my breath in the hopes that it doesn't buckle under my weight. I lrecently left a regular, non-plus size store because I was so certain "they" would figure out I had no business attempting to shop there and nothing would fit anyway.

It takes time I suppose. It may take therapy. I guess I'll have a better clue when I get there.
  • krc99080
    krc99080 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'll ever really see myself as a skinny person. I can tell I'm smaller and I've had that moment looking at old pictures and going, wait who is that and then the realization hits that it's me. When you've been the fat person for 25 years it can be difficult to see yourself as anything but. I'm in a much better place then when I started since I was a 22-24 and am now a 10-12. My ultimate goal is to get to a comfortable size 8. I'll always be that fat person inside though - because the knowledge is there that if I was that person once, what's to stop be from becoming that person again?
  • ninja8tofu
    ninja8tofu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think for me, there are a couple of moments. First one is when I started fitting into my 18 yo daughter's clothing. I remembered thinking, when I was fat, "she can wear anything and it would be cute." Not in a jealous way, but in a "that's awesome" kind of way. I realized that when I fit into her size 6 jeans, that had shrunk in length a bit too much for her, that I was that size now, too.

The other one was when I wanted a new player hockey jersey and realized I could order a kid's size and save like $60 hahah ( I would get a women's but, they are even more because they are almost all custom when ordered and they are shaped stupid).

PS: by "kid size" I mean, big kid not little!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options

We're not MFP friends, but I've never seen a single photo where you look anything less than stunning and slender (and well-toned, too!) I hope the realization come to you soon, because you aren't fat. You're a fox.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    There were two things that made me realize the extent of my weight loss:

1) My friend and I used to be the same weight. When we went on a ride, we could barely pull the bar down because of the size of her stomach. That was a big eye opener right there.

2) At the same fair, a guy flirted with me. lol That brought my confidence up a bit.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

We're not MFP friends, but I've never seen a single photo where you look anything less than stunning and slender (and well-toned, too!) I hope the realization come to you soon, because you aren't fat. You're a fox.

:blushing:

Thank you
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 170 pounds and I STILL dont feel it. I dont call myself "skinny" or "thin" either just "not fat" its the best I can get - I went from a size 26 to a size 8. Somedays I look in the mirror and stare at my bulgy tummy (left over flab and skin) and feel "fat" and others I look and have to do a double glance and think - hey who is that? oh its me!

I know its all mental. but the biggest issue is that I never realized how "big" I was. Yah I knew I was "fat" but not until I really lost weight did I realize how fat I realize was, and now its the opposite.

Its been over 6 months that I have maintained and stayed at the same place and its getting easier and more common place to accept the new me and realize that this is what I look like today - not fat (perhaps one day I will say one of the other words, but thats the best I can call myself today lol)

It takes time, but you'll get there - good luck (ps enjoy the new clothes :bigsmile: )
  • amw5471
    amw5471 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely still working on it and I do not notice it all but my family has and my coworkers have. I still have a long way to go but I hope to recognize a healthy self and be happy with it.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    When I didn't have to shop in the "plus size" section anymore.
  • R_Woodruff
    R_Woodruff Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! I myself am still considered fat, but I can definitely say I'm seeing things only thin people have the pleasure of seeing.

I have collar bones! And I tend to just touch them all the time cause I'm still not used to them lol.
    I can't sit on hard surfaces for long periods of time cause I have less cushion.
    I used to be hot ALL THE TIME and now I freeze!
    The more the weight falls off the faster and longer I can run.
    One of my best friends who has never said anything about my weight loss before saw me in shorts and a tank top and told me I was so tiny (compared to where I was, I am)

But like most of us on this thread I still don't see a smaller person in the mirror. I see a healthier person, but all I truly see is my flaws. I hope when I get down to my goal weight that'll change. Time is what I'm banking on.
    Congrats to everyone who has found your "skinny you"! And for those of us who haven't, we will get there!
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    When I recently hit my goal, although I still have things to work on with lowering body fat %, etc.
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    some days are better than others...some days i see the girl with a sexy body and nice curves that I've been working for (my booty for one!) and other days i just see that i need to lose 30 lbs and will i ever have a flat stomach without flexing and i hate my arms....It's just a matter of keeping strong and determined...we will get to that place and stay there because we love our new selves...