Hate calorie counting.

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    1. When you are hungry, eat.
    2. Eat what you want (not what you think you "should".)
    3. Eat consciously and enjoy every mouthful.
    4. When you are full stop.
    I agree with all of these except for #2. I lost 40 pounds before I began calorie counting (and I'm only doing it now to help with my fiancee's motivation), and I did it by cutting out all restaurants and fast food and only eating things that weren't obviously bad for me. I had a lot of cold cereal, a lot of sandwiches (turkey, lettuce, mustard), and a lot of salads (no dressing). Also, I worked out several times a week and cut out all beverages except for water. If I needed to round out a meal, I'd add fruits or vegetables.

Pleasant? No. But unless you're counting calories, it's the way you have to do it, and it gets results.

No, you don't have to do it that way.

What you have to do is cut back on your portions. It's not the food, it's the portions.

There are NO bad/good foods. Only bad eating habits.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options

:laugh: I don't generally get offended by teenagers its ok.

i+feel+pretty.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: thx & WHODAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Counting calories makes me really decide if it's worth it. Is this delicious biscuit from Bojangles WORTH 240 calories? Nope. So I skip it. For the most part... I do follow most of those rules.

1) I eat when I'm hungry... but I really think about it.... am I REALLY hungry... or am I just bored?
    2) I eat what I want... within reason. I try to make sure I get plenty of vitamin rich foods in everyday... but that doesn't stop me from eating a snack bag of chips if I want it... or my daily glass of wine (read: 1 glass... 5oz.. not my previous 10oz glasses)
    3) I eat slower... and enjoy it when I get to have sweets.
    4) I never go back for seconds.

So yes... I guess following these rules are a good starting point. We have good days and bad (Saturday I ate 2400 calories... but Sunday I stuck to my goal and went for a long run to make up for Saturday). You have to find a balance that works for you.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    (read: 1 glass... 5oz.. not my previous 10oz glasses)

Just dropping in to say that I recently learned that a "glass" of wine for me was like three standard glasses of wine. Darn big wine glasses and alcoholic tendencies!
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    This thread is TLDR but from what I peeked, this whole thread is ridiculous.

You are your own self, you do what you want to do. You don't want to count calories then that's fine, don't. You don't need to count calories to lose weight, all you need is a calorie deficit. You can have this deficit by counting calories or at random if you have a good portion control. Counting calories has been really accurate for me, I lose exactly what I'm supposed to so I believe is really good for me.

In short, don't if you don't want to. Don't make a thread about it. It's like you are trying to justify yourself for doing something no one is going to pay attention to anyway. Why are you trying to justify yourself for avoiding something you hate? It seems to me that deep inside you feel that you are better off counting calories and are in denial as a defense mechanism to the anxiety that it causes you thinking that it won't work. Do what you must.

By all means if the thread offends you don't waste your time commenting. I can make a thread about anything I choose thank you :)
    I picked up some good information from people who are not calorie counting so all in all I am happy I posted. Good day to you.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options
    I haven't read all 4 pages, so this point may have been made already, but some context regarding your goals is necessary when determining a nutritional strategy.

I lift heavy weights, and I am not a person who is noticeably hungry (i.e. so hungry that that it's disruptive to whatever I'm trying to focus on) very often, so the first point about eating only when you're hungry doesn't work for me. My body needs a certain amount of fuel to perform the work I ask it to do, whether I actually feel hungry or not. And since hunger signals are frequently driven by hormone levels, hunger is not always a good indication of a physical need for calories.

On a fat loss program, you need a certain amount of protein to ensure lean body mass retention, so the point about only eating what you want also doesn't work.

These are just a couple of reasons why calorie counting matters if you have a goal and why "Eat when you're hungry; stop when you're full" is a fairly useless strategy if you are trying to change your body or improve your performance. Ideally, you will get to a point where you can eyeball portions and have a natural inclination to eat in a macro range that helps you maintain your weight, leanness, etc. Until you acquire that level of discipline and until you are at a point where you aren't trying to make any changes to your body or to your performance levels, then tracking your intake is a necessary evil.

Thats actually a few good points re performance. I would probably need to keep check of my protein amounts. I usually have a good protein source at every meal so eggs and bacon at breakfast, chicken at lunch, I snack on lean ham so I am not to worried about getting in enought protein.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options
    so don't do it. mfp will still be here when you come back again

God I love how touchy people get. Why take it so personally.
    Also I won't be going anywhere as I find the forums (maybe not the general forums...) useful for information and recipes.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

You are your own self, you do what you want to do. You don't want to count calories then that's fine, don't. You don't need to count calories to lose weight, all you need is a calorie deficit. You can have this deficit by counting calories or at random if you have a good portion control. Counting calories has been really accurate for me, I lose exactly what I'm supposed to so I believe is really good for me.

In short, don't if you don't want to. Don't make a thread about it. It's like you are trying to justify yourself for doing something no one is going to pay attention to anyway. Why are you trying to justify yourself for avoiding something you hate? It seems to me that deep inside you feel that you are better off counting calories and are in denial as a defense mechanism to the anxiety that it causes you thinking that it won't work. Do what you must.

crazy talker!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all 4 pages, so this point may have been made already, but some context regarding your goals is necessary when determining a nutritional strategy.

I lift heavy weights, and I am not a person who is noticeably hungry (i.e. so hungry that that it's disruptive to whatever I'm trying to focus on) very often, so the first point about eating only when you're hungry doesn't work for me. My body needs a certain amount of fuel to perform the work I ask it to do, whether I actually feel hungry or not. And since hunger signals are frequently driven by hormone levels, hunger is not always a good indication of a physical need for calories.

On a fat loss program, you need a certain amount of protein to ensure lean body mass retention, so the point about only eating what you want also doesn't work.

These are just a couple of reasons why calorie counting matters if you have a goal and why "Eat when you're hungry; stop when you're full" is a fairly useless strategy if you are trying to change your body or improve your performance. Ideally, you will get to a point where you can eyeball portions and have a natural inclination to eat in a macro range that helps you maintain your weight, leanness, etc. Until you acquire that level of discipline and until you are at a point where you aren't trying to make any changes to your body or to your performance levels, then tracking your intake is a necessary evil.

Thats actually a few good points re performance. I would probably need to keep check of my protein amounts. I usually have a good protein source at every meal so eggs and bacon at breakfast, chicken at lunch, I snack on lean ham so I am not to worried about getting in enought protein.
    but how are you going to log protein accurately and not log calories?
  • DamePiglet
    Options

i+feel+pretty.jpg

Really...If you feel as if she has violated the TOS of MFP by either posting an inappropriate topic or posting in the wrong forum then report her. Every day on MFP I see topics that really have nothing to do with losing weight...counting calories...fitness...or anything else for that matter. At the end of the day however...it is no big deal.

Me...I don't find the back and forth between you and the OP to pertain to "FOOD AND NUTRITION" but hey...I am not upset about it.

I am however glad that you are "feeling pretty" today. Maybe at the end of the day...that is what it is all about..."feel pretty". Well...maybe it is more about feeling that we are taking control of our food and nutrition...and "feeling pretty" while we do it!

Okay, lemme 'splain something to you...
    She called me a "teenager"...
    I'm almost 46.
    Made me feel "pretty".

Why would I "report" her, when i can just explain to her how the forums work? That way, she may get more of the responses that she's seeking.

Not to mention the fact that in just about any MFP forum, once you're past maybe the 4th post, very little can actually be added to the conversation that hasn't been said before. After that, it's mostly snark stuff & cat gifs.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options

but how are you going to log protein accurately and not log calories?

I would never have accurate information. I know that. I wouldn't be able to tell you how many calories or how much protein I have eaten. I guess I'm not really worried about it.

If I was advising someone who had just started out losing weight I would point them towards calorie counting as it has it uses. It does work. You will have information that you will find useful. I am just talking about me personally. I am at a point where It fustrating me and its not working for the end goal I need - to lose weight. I can only say that what I eat generally is mainly meat, veg, fruit and veg, some bread, pasta's rice and obviously the junk food to.

I guess its all about trial and error. Logging isnt working, I stop logging and concentrate on eating well with some common sense (good luck with that I know)
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options

i+feel+pretty.jpg

Really...If you feel as if she has violated the TOS of MFP by either posting an inappropriate topic or posting in the wrong forum then report her. Every day on MFP I see topics that really have nothing to do with losing weight...counting calories...fitness...or anything else for that matter. At the end of the day however...it is no big deal.

Me...I don't find the back and forth between you and the OP to pertain to "FOOD AND NUTRITION" but hey...I am not upset about it.

I am however glad that you are "feeling pretty" today. Maybe at the end of the day...that is what it is all about..."feel pretty". Well...maybe it is more about feeling that we are taking control of our food and nutrition...and "feeling pretty" while we do it!

I'm almost 46.
    Made me feel "pretty".

Why would I "report" her, when i can just explain to her how the forums work? That way, she may get more of the responses that she's seeking.

Not to mention the fact that in just about any MFP forum, once you're past maybe the 4th post, very little can actually be added to the conversation that hasn't been said before. After that, it's mostly snark stuff & cat gifs.

where is my cat gif?!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm not really worried about it.

this is how I log.

I do the best I can- get close enough and move on- I'm much busier in real life than I am on paper- so I have a built in buffer- I over estimate food- and underestimate workouts- so immediate buffer.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Also makes trouble shooting easy- feeling light headed and quesy- check the pie chart- oh look I'm uber low on protein. good to know- move on- eat protein- feel better. LOL

If you took this attitude with logging- it would be fine LOL
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

crazy talker!

:laugh:

tumblr_inline_mw6o11bqfT1rwwk99.gif
  • DamePiglet
    Options

where is my cat gif?!

puppy jpg first.

i-feel-pretty-oh-so-prettyand-i-pi.jpg

then kitty gif.
    dancing-cat.gif
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

i+feel+pretty.jpg

I'm almost 46.
    Made me feel "pretty".

where is my cat gif?!

241.gif.pagespeed.ce.jR6QFl8Q02.gif
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    tumblr_myna0xYwjG1r7p0fbo1_400.gif
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options

where is my cat gif?!

puppy jpg first.

i-feel-pretty-oh-so-prettyand-i-pi.jpg