Concerned

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Isn't blurry vision a sign of a possible stroke?

You're an NP and coming to an Internet message board for advice?

Honey, see a doctor. Like right now.
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Are you seeing a doctor or a dietician/nutritionist? Many doctors are woefully misinformed about nutrition sadly. If your doctor is telling you to eat only 1200 knowing you're getting that much exercise - hmmm. I don't know. I'm a 40 year old very petite woman with a desk job and with daily exercise my BMR is well above 1200. If you aren't even eating the 1200 and then you are exercising on top of that and taking pills on top of that there are definite warning signs in place. I'd consult with someone who has a better idea of what they are talking about.
  • cdavis3746
    Options

Yes, I know it is a sign of a stroke but that is highly unlikely because I this is the only symptom.

I called my doctor, he said it is a possible sign of dehydration. I drink at least 10 8 oz glasses of water a day. He isn't concerned and said we will follow up next week.
  • cdavis3746
    Options
    Are you seeing a doctor or a dietician/nutritionist? Many doctors are woefully misinformed about nutrition sadly. If your doctor is telling you to eat only 1200 knowing you're getting that much exercise - hmmm. I don't know. I'm a 40 year old very petite woman with a desk job and with daily exercise my BMR is well above 1200. If you aren't even eating the 1200 and then you are exercising on top of that and taking pills on top of that there are definite warning signs in place. I'd consult with someone who has a better idea of what they are talking about.

He is a DO. An Osteopathic physician. Thanks for your comments, I think I will call another family doctor or a nutritionist.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Yes, I know it is a sign of a stroke but that is highly unlikely because I this is the only symptom.

I called my doctor, he said it is a possible sign of dehydration. I drink at least 10 8 oz glasses of water a day. He isn't concerned and said we will follow up next week.
    Seriously?

OK. I'm out.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I hope you understand everyone here is trying to help. For some it is very simple in their mind, 'eat more'. I am more of a wordy-this is my experience-type of poster.

The only time I had those symptoms was when I was not eating enough for my body. The dr called it hypoglycemia? (sp)

I have unfortunately had the symptoms of blurred vision when I wasn't eating enough food.
  • cdavis3746
    Options
    I hope you understand everyone here is trying to help. For some it is very simple in their mind, 'eat more'. I am more of a wordy-this is my experience-type of poster.

The only time I had those symptoms was when I was not eating enough for my body. The dr called it hypoglycemia? (sp)

I have unfortunately had the symptoms of blurred vision when I wasn't eating enough food.

Thank you! Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar, I had that issue when I was pregnant. Thank you for your posts.
  • SarahNicoleW94
    Options
    And for some of you being rude then dont comment. I am not looking for a pitty party, I was asking if anyone else has had this experience. The rude comments make people scared to ask for help/advice.

I totally agree with this. We're supposed to be helping each other but some of the people on here (especially girls on other girls) are seriously rude. It makes you feel like you cant ask.. and whats the point in that?
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    And for some of you being rude then dont comment. I am not looking for a pitty party, I was asking if anyone else has had this experience. The rude comments make people scared to ask for help/advice.

I totally agree with this. We're supposed to be helping each other but some of the people on here (especially girls on other girls) are seriously rude. It makes you feel like you cant ask.. and whats the point in that?

I get that! After being here so long I forget that feeling you get in your gut when you are first posting on a new forum when you feel attacked. I didn't post for months because of 1 particular person who was stalking me.

Of course I have hardened over the years, so I keep an eye out for people who are rude vs just plain talk. Some just do not sugar coat their words, but their heart is in the right place.

Any comment against forum guidelines can be reported, and the mods will check it out :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Thank you! Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar, I had that issue when I was pregnant. Thank you for your posts.

Oh right, hyper would be high. OK that makes sense.
  • sperreaux
    sperreaux Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I agree! Unfortunately, doctors are not well trained in nutrition based living or treatment. With good reason, Nutrition is a complicated, ever-developing subject; they have enough to learn and remember and just do, in general. Consulting with a dietician/nutritionist is the best, safest, and most proficient way to reach your fitness goals. Take it into consideration, but remember that Dr's, nutritionists, or dieticians can all advise well, but no one can MAKE you follow the advice.YOU have to make healthy choices for you.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Those symptoms are likely because you AREN'T eating as much as you should. If he put you on a 1200 cal/day diet, then you need to be eating that or a little more. Anything below that, you're doing more damage than good.
  • agman90
    agman90 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    OP, I am on phentermine as well. I found that I couldn't take a full pill, so I cut it in half. works so much better. I had headaches and vision problems at first, but upped the water intake (phentermine will dehydrate you terribly) I also had a terrible time with a stuffed nose. I now combine phentermine with a cinnamon/chromium capsule (one at breakfast, one at lunch) and that seems to help with the sinus problems. I have also found that being on a 1200 calorie diet is not an exact science. If I am under my calories I hit a plateau, but if I go over by 100 or so I lose more consistantly. You probably need to up the calories at least for a while. Add some cheese or nuts. If you aren't allergic, a wonderful breakfast/snack is a whole grain waffle with some peanut butter. add a banana or some berries, drink some milk with it and the calories can add up quick.

Good luck! :)
  • sperreaux
    sperreaux Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I agree. It's why I started logging into the forums. I apologize if any of my directness came across as rude. I am just very concerned and wanted to share what knowledge I have to help you.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

So I started my weight loss journey (seriously started) a week ago yesterday. My doctor put me on a 1200 calorie a day diet and I also take phentermine 37.5. I bought Endotrim and 5HTP to take as supplements. I drink a spark in the mornings and run about 2 miles. I am not eating anywhere near my 1200 calories. I noticed this morning when I woke up that I am having trouble with my vision. Everything is blurry and hazy, almost like there is a film over my eyes. My husband keeps telling me it is because I am not eating enough, but I take a multivitamin to make sure I am getting the proper nutrition. I know some of you are going to tell me to talk to me doctor, but I am an NP and have never had a patient complain of these side effects with phen. Anyone have any experience with this? Maybe it is for over working and not eating enough? I am very concerned with this. Any advise would be great!

Thanks.

Consult the doctor who put you on the diet and phentermine for advice. If he/she did not tell you to take Endotrim and 5HTP tell them you are taking it as well as any dietary supplements you are taking which may be causing an interaction. To me, it sounds like you are taking too many drugs that may be interacting as well as having their own side effects in combination with not eating enough.
  • cdavis3746
    Options
    OP, I am on phentermine as well. I found that I couldn't take a full pill, so I cut it in half. works so much better. I had headaches and vision problems at first, but upped the water intake (phentermine will dehydrate you terribly) I also had a terrible time with a stuffed nose. I now combine phentermine with a cinnamon/chromium capsule (one at breakfast, one at lunch) and that seems to help with the sinus problems. I have also found that being on a 1200 calorie diet is not an exact science. If I am under my calories I hit a plateau, but if I go over by 100 or so I lose more consistantly. You probably need to up the calories at least for a while. Add some cheese or nuts. If you aren't allergic, a wonderful breakfast/snack is a whole grain waffle with some peanut butter. add a banana or some berries, drink some milk with it and the calories can add up quick.

Good luck! :)

Thank you! I was starting to think I was one of the only people on here using something to help get me started. How many calories did your doctor tell you to consume?
  • cdavis3746
    Options
    I am just not hungry. I will eat a couple boiled eggs in the morning, Then some veggies and hummus in the afternoon then usually a chicken breast and broccoli at dinner.
    oh ok. this must be how your weight got up to 235 lbs. :noway:

My weight is 235 because I had a terrible pregnancy with preeclampsia and was on bed rest for months and almost lost my child. Still want to make jokes?
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Yikes..

Please eat something and then call the bone head doctor back and ask to come in. None of this sounds good.
  • agman90
    agman90 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My doctor also told me to go on 1200 calories. It is really hard when you don't want to eat because of medication. I don't do any sort of shake, but I do eat a McDonalds fruit and yogurt parfait in the mornings (usually). I came on MFP to keep better track of my calories, and it does really help.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I am just not hungry. I will eat a couple boiled eggs in the morning, Then some veggies and hummus in the afternoon then usually a chicken breast and broccoli at dinner.
    oh ok. this must be how your weight got up to 235 lbs. :noway:

My weight is 235 because I had a terrible pregnancy with preeclampsia and was on bed rest for months and almost lost my child. Still want to make jokes?
    not trying to make jokes about undisclosed information, and I am very sorry that you had to go through that, but glad that it sounds like your child survived.

Simply, it is unbelievable to me that your weight got up to 235 lbs without you learning how to eat over 1200 calories. And am I right in assuming you stating you're an NP means Nurse Practitioner? Yet, you still aren't able to get in your doctor prescribed calorie allotment?

....That's actually more concerning about the ever-declining state of health care workers.