Concerned

Options

Replies

• jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I am just not hungry. I will eat a couple boiled eggs in the morning, Then some veggies and hummus in the afternoon then usually a chicken breast and broccoli at dinner.
    oh ok. this must be how your weight got up to 235 lbs. :noway:

This is not necessary! She isn't getting hungry because of the drugs she is on which she wasn't taking when gaining the weight <sheesh>.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I am just not hungry. I will eat a couple boiled eggs in the morning, Then some veggies and hummus in the afternoon then usually a chicken breast and broccoli at dinner.

This is not necessary! She isn't getting hungry because of the drugs she is on which she wasn't taking when gaining the weight <sheesh>.
    operating under the assumption that the NP acronym OP claims to be is referring to Nurse Practitioner, medications curbing her appetite is not an excuse, and she should know better.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

My weight is 235 because I had a terrible pregnancy with preeclampsia and was on bed rest for months and almost lost my child. Still want to make jokes?
    not trying to make jokes about undisclosed information, and I am very sorry that you had to go through that, but glad that it sounds like your child survived.

Simply, it is unbelievable to me that your weight got up to 235 lbs without you learning how to eat over 1200 calories. And am I right in assuming you stating you're an NP means Nurse Practitioner? Yet, you still aren't able to get in your doctor prescribed calorie allotment?

....That's actually more concerning about the ever-declining state of health care workers.

Let's be careful with our words. This young lady has come on ASKING FOR HELP. She isn't hiding the truth from us, she laid herself bare.

Advising her to eat her 1200 calories is a great start, she will learn as she goes along here from others who have walked before her.

Snarky is useful with some people (like me) but she has clearly indicated it is HURTFUL to her.

Can we all keep it civil and HELP her????
  • commanderval
    commanderval Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You really have to try and eat your 1200 cals if that's what your doctor put you on. I mean 1200 is really the LOWEST somebody should go. Try a couple of table spoons of peanut butter or almond butter, it should help a lot with energy and getting your last 100 cals in.

Best of luck!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

My weight is 235 because I had a terrible pregnancy with preeclampsia and was on bed rest for months and almost lost my child. Still want to make jokes?
    not trying to make jokes about undisclosed information, and I am very sorry that you had to go through that, but glad that it sounds like your child survived.

Simply, it is unbelievable to me that your weight got up to 235 lbs without you learning how to eat over 1200 calories. And am I right in assuming you stating you're an NP means Nurse Practitioner? Yet, you still aren't able to get in your doctor prescribed calorie allotment?

....That's actually more concerning about the ever-declining state of health care workers.

Let's be careful with our words. This young lady has come on ASKING FOR HELP. She isn't hiding the truth from us, she laid herself bare.

Advising her to eat her 1200 calories is a great start, she will learn as she goes along here from others who have walked before her.

Snarky is useful with some people (like me) but she has clearly indicated it is HURTFUL to her.

the NP won't listen to her DO or her husband, how are random people on the internet supposed to help her?
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    When you called your doctor and he said he wasn't concerned, did you tell hm you weren't eating at the calorie levels he prescribed? I'll be honest, if you DID tell him this and he still shrugged it off, it's time to find another doctor. The meds + the already low-cal plan + you not eating all of your calories... you're setting yourself up for a very dangerous situation. Be 100% honest and open with your doctor about your intake, and consider very carefully everything everyone here has said.

You are undereating, and no vitamin can help that. Please be careful and take care of yourself.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    OP: I have never taken drugs to help with weight loss, BUT, I was ill for about 3 months last year and it left me without an appetite. Honestly, I would eat more if I were you - I was taking a multivitamin in the morning with a cup of coffee and then eating maybe a piece of toast around 4pm. It was all I was able to stomach. My vision was blurry, I was passing out, and I landed in the hospital with acute kidney failure. Part of that was the illness, but a lot of it was because I wasn't getting the nutrition I needed in order to recover and heal.

You clearly know something is wrong. The impact it is having on your vision is your body's way of telling you that something is not right. I understand the desire to just continue not eating your allotted calories, but my advice to you is to make healthy choices and listen to the signs and signals that your body is sending. Make sense?
  • agman90
    agman90 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    OP, you will probably find that after about 3 weeks or so, you will kind of level off (hit a stand-still, plateau). that's when it's time to change up your routine. try to eat a little more for 2-3 days (200-300 calories is all) and then start over with the 1200 calorie diet. I know that sounds counter-productive, but it puts your body in another gear so-to-speak. Keep running, but throw a different type of exercise in once in a while. it doesn't have to be anything big, and you don't even have to notice that it is exercise... just something to get your body moving in a different way. (I like to do the Wii Just Dance)

One more thing that I do with phentermine, I only take it during my work week. Mon-Fri. I take it first thing in the morning, a half hour before I eat breakfast. I have found (with me anyway) that if I relax a little more on the weekends, it kind of jump starts me at the beginning of the week again.

Keep your head up, your gonna do great!
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    When you called your doctor and he said he wasn't concerned, did you tell hm you weren't eating at the calorie levels he prescribed? I'll be honest, if you DID tell him this and he still shrugged it off, it's time to find another doctor. The meds + the already low-cal plan + you not eating all of your calories... you're setting yourself up for a very dangerous situation. Be 100% honest and open with your doctor about your intake, and consider very carefully everything everyone here has said.

You are undereating, and no vitamin can help that. Please be careful and take care of yourself.
    This. Did you tell the Doc you weren't eating the full 1200? And if you did and he didn't find anything wrong with that you need to find another Doctor.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

the NP won't listen to her DO or her husband, how are random people on the internet supposed to help her?

I agree, but you have good info to relay to this member, and instead of talking to her so she will listen you are making her turn away.

We must speak to our audience. I get where you are coming from, but I really hate it when someone has good solid info and turns the OP off.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    hunger is not a reliable way to feed yourself- it's typically meal timing/conditioning and hormones that cause that.

Eat the food you need- there is no way running 2 miles a day AND trying to eat 1200 that you aren't making you are eating enough- you should be at 14-1500 minimal.

If you like ice cream- fill your day out with ice cream

If you like smoothies- drink smoothies

If you can drink milk- drink at least 1/4 to a 1/2 gallon a day if you can. You NEED food.

edit

and not for nothing
    that's horrible- and I feel bad for you- but being bed ridden doesn't mean you get fat. There are lots of under weight bed ridden people as well- and playing a manipulative guilt card isn't going to help.

No one here is trying to NOT help.

Everyone has given solid advice. You can either accept it- 3 pages of the same thing "talk to your doctor- and eat more" or go about pretending like we are all crazy and have no idea what we are talking about.

It's you're health lovey- we are trying to help because we want to help.
  • cdavis3746
    Options
    OP: I have never taken drugs to help with weight loss, BUT, I was ill for about 3 months last year and it left me without an appetite. Honestly, I would eat more if I were you - I was taking a multivitamin in the morning with a cup of coffee and then eating maybe a piece of toast around 4pm. It was all I was able to stomach. My vision was blurry, I was passing out, and I landed in the hospital with acute kidney failure. Part of that was the illness, but a lot of it was because I wasn't getting the nutrition I needed in order to recover and heal.

You clearly know something is wrong. The impact it is having on your vision is your body's way of telling you that something is not right. I understand the desire to just continue not eating your allotted calories, but my advice to you is to make healthy choices and listen to the signs and signals that your body is sending. Make sense?

Yes thank you. I just didnt realize that I needed to take in the actual amount of calories because I know some people who do the HCG and only take in 500. Just because I am a NP doesnt mean I know about nutrition in depth. I know about it for the average healthy people but not the "other" category which most people are in. I deal with colds, the flu, and snotty noses most of the time. Like any profession if you dont study or use everything everyday you dont remember it. I feel bad that I have to justify my credentials because people assume since I am overweight that I am not a good health care provider. I have not been out of school that long and it takes time to get the experience.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I will eat my calorie goals from now on. I have always been told when trying to lose weight to just eat when you are hungry so that is what I have been doing and if I wouldnt have had MFP I would have never known how many calories it was.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

Here's snarky for you - perhaps your time would be better spent on a treadmill than making harmful comments to a member asking for help!

OP, I hope you get things figured out fast. Dietary supplements can really have some nasty side effects something many don't consider since the are available OTC. As easy way to get a lot of calories in is smoothies. Perhaps that would be one way you could boost the calorie intake?
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    since you are a NP what would you tell your patient that came into the office you work???
  • cdavis3746
    Options
    since you are a NP what would you tell your patient that came into the office you work???

I would refer them to a nutritionist to help get some meal plans in order, hands down. Point made. Thank you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

The only help she needs is to follow the advice to see a doctor TODAY, RIGHT NOW.

She's an NP and she knows better, so whatever.

A history of preeclampsia and she's taking phentermine. SMH
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Isn't blurry vision a sign of a possible stroke?

You're an NP and coming to an Internet message board for advice?

Honey, see a doctor. Like right now.

Yes, I know it is a sign of a stroke but that is highly unlikely because I this is the only symptom.

I called my doctor, he said it is a possible sign of dehydration. I drink at least 10 8 oz glasses of water a day. He isn't concerned and said we will follow up next week.

I'm not trying to be negative, but just curious if you had a patient in the same situation would you not be concerned and maybe consider d/c the phen and just concentrate on diet and exercise? Phentermine is only meant to "trick" you into not wanting to constantly crave and want food, but it is only temporary.
  • cdavis3746
    Options

The only help she needs is to follow the advice to see a doctor TODAY, RIGHT NOW.

Preeclampsia is a condition that pregnant women get which is caused by a high level of protein in the urine which causes BP to rise. I'm not pregnant right now, obviously or I wouldn't be taking it. My blood pressure is fine 110's/70's, my heart rate is normal. I have no medical reasons as to why I couldnt take it. I didnt ask for it, it was recommended for 3 months.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Preeclampsia is a condition that pregnant women get which is caused by a high level of protein in the urine which causes BP to rise. I'm not pregnant right now, obviously or I wouldn't be taking it. My blood pressure is fine 110's/70's, my heart rate is normal. I have no medical reasons as to why I couldnt take it. I didnt ask for it, it was recommended for 3 months.
    [/quote]
    I know what it is and it means you are predisposed to issues.

You are a nurse practitioner. You should have a better idea than most about medications and health and all of that. You drink 8-10 glasses of water a day and you are accepting an over-the-phone diagnosis of dehydration.

Does that actually make sense to you? You REALLY don't think you should at least be seen by a medical professional today?
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I had blurry vision too at one point.

...when I was depressed and -purposely- starving myself...

Eat more, there are many ways to add calories if you aren't hungry. Drink the calories, add butter to your vegetables, use more oil, eat a tablespoon of peanut butter, add olive oil to your hummus.