Artificial Sweetener Demonizing

Options
32sami
32sami Posts: 380 Member
Artificial sweeteners have become a necessity for many people to make their food palatable. They need sweetness, but they don’t want the calories. Artificial sweeteners mean they can have their cake and eat it too. But don’t tell people it’s bad for them. They actually already know this, but they don’t care. Sugar is addicting, and like most addictions, people don’t want pleasure to be taken from them. What are your thoughts??

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    i_live_to_stir_the_pot_tshirt-p235758243249441515t5tr_400.jpg
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    I think it has an addicting factor, most certainly. Every morning I have my coffee, not only because of the caffeine to wake me up, but for that sweet, creamy, sugary taste. I put sugar in my coffee and once I have my cup I feel content. If I don’t have my sweet cup of coffee, watch out! It’s like a fix.

I do not use artificial sweetener though. I used to but I cut it out and use pure cane sugar.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think it's none of my damn business what other people put in their food, and if the thought even enters my head to tell someone else a food is bad for them or lecture them on eating habits in general then it is probably time to re-evaluate my priorities and get a hobby.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Aspartame FTW! :drinker: :drinker:
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners have become a necessity for many people to make their food palatable. They need sweetness, but they don’t want the calories. Artificial sweeteners mean they can have their cake and eat it too. But don’t tell people it’s bad for them. They actually already know this, but they don’t care. Sugar is addicting, and like most addictions, people don’t want pleasure to be taken from them. What are your thoughts??
    I think you got it all right my dear Watson. So what? Every person has some addictions to some particular pleasures and some bad habits they do because it is pleasurable but in no way benefit their lives apart from that. Whatever it's eating related or not. Literary everybody me and you included. So who are we to judge or teach them how to live their life right?
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to comment on whether artificial sweeteners are bad for you or not-- but I don't eat them mainly because I don't like the taste/the effect on me. I tried xylitol (since I can't bear the taste of stevia and I used to NEED my nice, sweet, 100+ calorie mug of coffee) and oh my, it gave me a migraine and diarrhea! Of course not all such sweeteners do that but for some people they cause various types of malaise. :sick:
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    But don’t tell people it’s bad for them. They actually already know this, but they don’t care.

Well, what I do know is that I don't care because real science hasn't proven that it's bad.
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The medical consensus is that artificial sweeteners are safe to consume. I think people are addicted to pseudoscience that confirms various beliefs they have about food that are rooted in psychological hangups. There is a certain element of belief that everything that tastes good must have a hidden danger.
  • brianeweston
    brianeweston Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree. They are safe because we would never eat the doses given to rats in labs. And the chlorine issue with Splenda? I would argue that we take in more chlorine from salt than from Splenda.

Everything in moderation.
  • aly_mc
    aly_mc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think it's very helpful for people to have sweetners as an option especially if you're diabetic. If you have the "big mac and diet coke" mentality, it's probably not helping very much, but small changes are better than none.
  • shields1847
    shields1847 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    if you NEED sweetener use stevia.
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you want to use a sweetener, feel free to use sugar within your calorie allowance or any of the tested and approved artificial sweeteners, and don't stress out about it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of sugar, sweeteners have a weird aftertaste for me. Every single one of them. That said, when I really want something and I just can't fit it into my calories or needs to be too sweet for my pre-diabetes to handle I use splenda.

Both have no nutritional value, but both have their uses. I don't see why anyone would be demonizing either of them.
  • 32sami
    Options
    I read one time that aspartame was an ingredient used for embalming dead people.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    To each his own. I don't use artificial sweeteners, just regular sugar, honey, or maple syrup (real). I have a strange reaction with aspartame involving migraines and anxiety attacks. I don't love the taste of splenda, but stevia is okay in a jam.

That being said, you don't NEED sweetener. And if you cut back on them you actually appreciate the taste of regular food more IMHO.
  • MissTea3112
    MissTea3112 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    embalming fluid includes water too.. just saying. That said, I prefer not to use artificial sweeteners, as I feel natural sugars offer more, since ones like raw honey have other benefits and taste better.
  • 32sami
    Options
    water's not man made :wink:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I read one time that aspartame was an ingredient used for embalming dead people.

I read one time that Santa Claus was actually the devil Satan.

Just because you "read one time" doesn't make things true.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I didn't say it was true dumbass, I said I read it. Christ doesn't take much to piss people off in here.

Pretty sure you're the one who is upset here.

Regardless, there's nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners.

If you want to claim that there is, first identify which artificial sweetener you are talking about (there are many different ones, from aspartame to cyclamate, with very different chemistry) and then use peer-reviewed scientific articles to establish a negative health effect from the artificial sweetener in question.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I didn't say it was true dumbass, I said I read it. Christ doesn't take much to piss people off in here.

BTW, calling people names is strictly against the community guidelines. The mods take that stuff pretty seriously.
This discussion has been closed.