• 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Ah bite me :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Strong argument. I'm convinced by your superior knowledge and understanding!
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Aspartame gives me bad migraines. I stay away! The last time I got a migraine, I also got severe vertigo with it. But, it was really good to figure out what my trigger was. And I was getting a ton of it as it was in everything from my yogurt to my chewable vitamin c.

That's my personal experience with it.

My mom told me that it's been linked to Multiple Sclerosis and that if you use it during pregnancy, your kids can come out without any coordination. I asked her if she knew this firsthand, because I am seriously uncoordinated. :laugh: But just because my mom told me that doesn't mean that I'm going to shove those ideas down someone else's throat.

All I know is that my body does not handle it well. I don't know why. Just really thankful to have found the trigger. One migraine in 3 years since cleaning my life out of it, is not bad compared to how frequently I used to get them! :smile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I read one time that aspartame was an ingredient used for embalming dead people.

I read one time that Santa Claus was actually the devil Satan.

Just because you "read one time" doesn't make things true.

I didn't say it was true dumbass, I said I read it. Christ doesn't take much to piss people off in here.

You're the one resorting to name calling and the rest of us are mad?

Do you understand that when you have a discussion, that there will be dissenting opinions? Are you unable to handle when others disagree with you?
  • dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think it should be up to the individual. On one hand white sugar is bad and artificial sugar is bad. So what are people suppose to do eat fruit all the time. I think that sugar should be consumed moderately but thats my opinion but I would never push that down someones throat. Its up to them.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i just love sweet things lol i have "real" sugar but also opt for sweeteners for lower cals etc. my way of living is just believing that almost anything can be 'bad' for you in one way or another and we all die in the end, positivity right? :drinker:
  • jonnythan
    Options

Nobody twisting your arm to be in here, and the only reason I said that was cause your were being an *kitten*. Should I just show no spine and take your ****? I'm betting you wouldn't.

barackobamayoumad1.jpg
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I think it's none of my damn business what other people put in their food, and if the thought even enters my head to tell someone else a food is bad for them or lecture them on eating habits in general then it is probably time to re-evaluate my priorities and get a hobby.
    tumblr_mtv391nX0f1sj3oxho1_400.gif
  • jonnythan
    Options

Nobody twisting your arm to be in here, and the only reason I said that was cause your were being an *kitten*. Should I just show no spine and take your ****? I'm betting you wouldn't.

Seriously though. I'm not talking "****." You made a claim in the OP that artificial sweeteners are bad for you.

This is a claim that is 100% unsupported by the significant volume of evidence we have on the subject. If you want to disagree, that's fine, but you should be prepared to defend your opinion if you want to have any credibility.
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    I'd love if everyone would stop using Splenda. A small percentage gets stored in fat cells (because that's what happens to toxins in our bodies) but the rest ends up getting flushed into our water supply. And our water supply is very quickly becoming contaminated. It doesn't biodegrade so this could be quite a big problem in a short period of time.

Otherwise, not caring just means that you are willing to be a guinea pig in a scientific experiment.

But most artificial sweeteners have come out on the wrong side of weight gain in the scientific studies, causing the brain to crave sweet more than regular sugars, making it more likely that people slip up.

And once you've been off of them for a while, they really do taste so awful that you don't want them. They just taste like chemicals.

I personally try to avoid all sweeteners but when I do have some, it is normally unrefined cane sugar. Sweet in all the right ways without the problems that arise in the bleaching process, and has been around long enough for us to know its effects on our long-term health.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    wut?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I'd love if everyone would stop using Splenda. A small percentage gets stored in fat cells (because that's what happens to toxins in our bodies) but the rest ends up getting flushed into our water supply. And our water supply is very quickly becoming contaminated. It doesn't biodegrade so this could be quite a big problem in a short period of time.

This is not even remotely true. Not by a long shot. It's incredibly, unfathomably, ridiculously untrue.

Where on earth did you hear this?
  • 32sami
    Options

barackobamayoumad1.jpg

Laughing now lol Not mad, just tired. :)
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes like crap. If other people like crap, that's ok by me. As long as they don't put it in my food or drinks, I don't care.

While on this topic, why cant I find pickled ginger without aspartame for my sushi? What's up with that?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Otherwise, not caring just means that you are willing to be a guinea pig in a scientific experiment.

But most artificial sweeteners have come out on the wrong side of weight gain in the scientific studies, causing the brain to crave sweet more than regular sugars, making it more likely that people slip up.

And once you've been off of them for a while, they really do taste so awful that you don't want them. They just taste like chemicals.

I personally try to avoid all sweeteners but when I do have some, it is normally unrefined cane sugar. Sweet in all the right ways without the problems that arise in the bleaching process, and has been around long enough for us to know its effects on our long-term health.

I've volunteered for a research study or two in my time. Does that mean it's okay if I don't care about artificial sweeteners?
  • 32sami
    Options
    Btw, I got the post off yahoo. The only thing that was mine was "what are your thoughts?" lol
  • pghfitgirl
    Options
    water's not man made :wink:

You come in to decry the use of artificial sweeteners, but then argue that water's not man made. Water, artificial sweeteners, and every other thing we put in our mouths are chemicals, because they have a chemical makeup. If you don't want to eat artificial sweeteners, then don't.

Troll much?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Btw, I got the post off yahoo. The only thing that was mine was "what are your thoughts?" lol

MFP Plot Twist!!!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes like crap. If other people like crap, that's ok by me. As long as they don't put it in my food or drinks, I don't care.

While on this topic, why cant I find pickled ginger without aspartame for my sushi? What's up with that?

It's the sugar in the sushi rice that is causing you to gain weight
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

I've volunteered for a research study or two in my time. Does that mean it's okay if I don't care about artificial sweeteners?

I'm happy to play guinea pig in the name of science. And pepsi max...
This discussion has been closed.