Dr. OZ Detox

Options

Replies

• aem91409
    aem91409 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am planning to do the Dr. Oz 3 day smoothie detox next week. I have never done a detox before, but I have been feeling tired and just nasty lately and I feel like a detox is my best solution. I don't really want to got to GNC to get a detox, I'd rather just do the smoothie one because then I know what I'm putting into my body.
    I have read some reviews on it and a lot of people are saying that they lost around 4 pounds while doing it. Is that something that I'm going to gain back right away? Or if I continue with my working out and calorie counting will it stay off? I weigh myself every Friday morning, and I am at a loss of 12 pounds and I feel like if I lost those 4 and gained them back right away that would be very discouraging to me and I don't want to mess up my roll that I'm on, because I'm feeling pretty good!
    Also, does anyone disagree with the smoothie detox and recommend something from GNC?

Confused.... which of the above is accurate? IMO, cleanses are unnecessary. As the other poster said, eat at a deficit.

I am feeling good about my weight loss, considering this is the first time I've ever tried to lose weight and it seems to be going quite well.
    And by I'm feeling nasty, I mean I just feel like I ate too unhealthy over the Easter holiday and started to lose my motivation and am just exhausted all the time.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I lost all respect for that man and will not be wasting my electricity on him.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am planning to do the Dr. Oz 3 day smoothie detox next week. I have never done a detox before, but I have been feeling tired and just nasty lately and I feel like a detox is my best solution. I don't really want to got to GNC to get a detox, I'd rather just do the smoothie one because then I know what I'm putting into my body.
    I have read some reviews on it and a lot of people are saying that they lost around 4 pounds while doing it. Is that something that I'm going to gain back right away? Or if I continue with my working out and calorie counting will it stay off? I weigh myself every Friday morning, and I am at a loss of 12 pounds and I feel like if I lost those 4 and gained them back right away that would be very discouraging to me and I don't want to mess up my roll that I'm on, because I'm feeling pretty good!
    Also, does anyone disagree with the smoothie detox and recommend something from GNC?

Confused.... which of the above is accurate? IMO, cleanses are unnecessary. As the other poster said, eat at a deficit.

I am feeling good about my weight loss, considering this is the first time I've ever tried to lose weight and it seems to be going quite well.
    And by I'm feeling nasty, I mean I just feel like I ate too unhealthy over the Easter holiday and started to lose my motivation and am just exhausted all the time.

^^ That sounds psychological rather than biological. Try to avoid feeling guilty about eating food, especially if you've recently had a holiday feast. Motivation comes from within, not from a beverage or a pill.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Detoxes are BS. Dr. Oz is a quack when it comes to nutrition and diet.

Just eat more whole foods (since they are nutrient dense) and you'll feel better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • aem91409
    aem91409 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well okay, you all have changed my mind! Kind of made me feel stupid for just asking question, but oh well I guess.
    Thanks...
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I mainly use my kidneys and liver for detox. However, my intestines, lungs, skin, and lymphatic system also chip in.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Oh for god's sake, don't listen to Dr Oz. You don't need a detox.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Next week Dr Oz will probably promote the candy bar diet.

eat a candy bar, any candy bar, 3 times a day and you will lose weight!!

Sponsored by Snickers of course..

You would lose a ton of weight on that diet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Well okay, you all have changed my mind! Kind of made me feel stupid for just asking question, but oh well I guess.
    Thanks...
    Actually you should feel pretty good. You're actually getting CORRECT information rather than BS from bad sources. Trust me when I say that I as a trainer (in the beginning of my career) used to believe all that ****. Then I actually started researching credible peer reviewed scientific studies on proposed programs, philosophies, etc.
    Don't take it personal. Just look at it as a learning step.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options

You would lose a ton of weight on that diet.

SLN-giant-candy-bar.png
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

Nah, it'll be his own brand of "OZmosis"(TM) diet aid candy bars :wink:
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I mainly use my kidneys and liver for detox. However, my intestines, lungs, skin, and lymphatic system also chip in.

I don't typically believe in "detoxes", and I really don't trust anything Dr. Oz has to say. That being said, some people DO need help in detoxing their body. For instance, my dad's lymphatic system has all but shut off on him--his immune system has attacked his detox capabilities. I know this is an extreme case, but people like this do exist.

In conclusion (since I sound like I'm just spouting extraneous info), some people do very well with detoxes, but they should always be done under the supervision of your doctor, or better yet, your doctor AND a certified nutritionist.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    my friend is her 7th day of the 2 week detox and has lost 8 pounds...I cant recall all she eats other then fruit smoothie, brown rice, I think 6 ounces protein,,broth, veggies...etc...seems healthy...im sure mostly water loss though..she stated she feels better....Just her 2 cents!
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is poo.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    hFEEA996F
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i missed a good day here on MFP - Dr Oz questions and calorie is a calorie questions. The replies are endless. Sigh - i need a job thats less busy so i can be on here more for the entertainment value. Dr Oz is useless. Snake oil for sale!
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Is this the one you refer to?

Dr-Oz-Detox.jpg

Click the picture link if it does not show.....if that's it.....I've heard people do it as a "jump start" or "get back on track" into a lifestyle change.....but the Detox alone isn't gonna cause any major changes......I will worn you, the couple people I heard that did it, did get really tired during it.....since you are restricted to juice/liquids only......your energy goes down.....then its up to you, after the detox, to jump back into the game......start back slowly though.....don't overgorge at an all you can eat buffet or something, cause after 3 days, you're body probably won't agree to everything you throw at it.....

Really, cold ice water is your best detox....
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz's medical and weight loss has been a total success for Oprah.

Oh wait, no it hasn't.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Thanks...

You should never feel stupid for asking questions. Dr. Oz is making money by BSing the public. They want to tip toe around the facts and science behind weight loss. How come he isn't taking all of that crap he is pushing onto people? Even though sh$t is always coming out of his mouth, I bet he hasn’t tried half of those crappy programs he pushes onto the public.