Dr. OZ Detox

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not enough food for a 21 year old woman no matter how sedentary you are. If you are exercising on top of that you are really starving yourself and its no wonder you feel tired.

But I've been doing this for three months now and have been fine.

But you're not fine. You are tired and unmotivated. (because your body can't survive on what you're feeding it)

For the past 3 months I've been fine, I've been tired and unmotivated for like the past 3 days. And my workout partner has been the same way for about a week, and she eats a whole lot more calories than I do. Have none of you ever just been in a rut before?

Er, maybe you guys are both coming down with something?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to drop this off again....

Your TDEE just sitting in an office chair all day is ~1800. Throw in exercise it's over 2K.

If you're only eating 1200 calories, gross, you're probably running 600-900 deficit, if not more.
  • aem91409
    aem91409 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Your TDEE just sitting in an office chair all day is ~1800. Throw in exercise it's over 2K.

If you're only eating 1200 calories, gross, you're probably running 600-900 deficit, if not more.

Why would MFP tell me that's what I need?
  • melaniedawnk
    Options
    I don't know about detox's in general.. but, anything about nutrition coming from Dr. Oz is absolute BS. He needs to stop giving nutritional advise. He is a SURGEON. He did not study nutritional sciences, he does not have any sort of degree that would suggest he should be giving that sort of advise. He should stick to his specialty.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Next week Dr Oz will probably promote the candy bar diet.

eat a candy bar, any candy bar, 3 times a day and you will lose weight!!

Sponsored by Snickers of course..

He had the 5 Bite diet on earlier this week but went on to say it wasn't a good idea. I'm watching him right now :laugh: He just discussed the 80% low GI vegetables and 20% lean meats and fat plate as an excellent way to trim those pounds down for bathing suit season. Hmm, where have I heard the 80/20 before?
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    But you wanted to detox a rut? How does that help?

You need to reevaluate your eating plan. Your body has been slowly driven into a rut over the last 3 months because it isn't getting enough nutrients. Your choice of course, but why would you want to torture yourself eating 1200 to lose weight when you can lose weight just as effectively at 1500 or more calories a day, giving your body all of the nutrients it needs to sustain itself?
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Options

MFP gave you your base calorie needed using the info you input - AND when you set up your goals, you did them wrong. You aren't sedentary, you do not sit on a couch all day doing absolutely nothing. And you probably said you want to lose 2lbs per week, which only an obese person should enter.

Change your goals to more realistic goals:
    lightly active
    lose 1 pound per week
    and eat back 50% your exercise calories (at least)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

MFP often has the annoying habit of spitting out recommendations of 1200 calorie goals. You say you've lost 12 lbs. Over what time frame? And what rate of loss did you set MFP for?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

For the record, MFP sets 1200 to anyone (I believe specifically female) who wants to lose 2lb a week. It doesn't take into account your height, weight, age or even if it's safe to lose 2lb a week.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Because it is a tool which requires the proper input, and the proper knowledge in using it. Why does it raise your calories to eat when you exercise? Oh, no reason, it is just there to be ignored, along with the message in red that says "you're eating too few calories".
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Because it is a tool which requires the proper input, and the proper knowledge in using it. Why does it raise your calories to eat when you exercise? Oh, no reason, it is just there to be ignored, along with the message in red that says "you're eating too few calories".

You beat me to it!

It says you have 37 lbs left to lose...You should be aiming to lose 1 lb a week...change your settings.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Do you really want to put your trust into a guy from Cleveland?
  • fauxpunker
    fauxpunker Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz truly lives up to his name as the man behind the curtain. Pay him and his bag of tricks no mind.
  • aem91409
    Options

MFP gave you your base calorie needed using the info you input - AND when you set up your goals, you did them wrong. You aren't sedentary, you do not sit on a couch all day doing absolutely nothing. And you probably said you want to lose 2lbs per week, which only an obese person should enter.

lightly active
    lose 1 pound per week

My BMI did come back as obese, so yes I did want to lose 2 pounds per week.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Options
  • aem91409
    Options

MFP often has the annoying habit of spitting out recommendations of 1200 calorie goals. You say you've lost 12 lbs. Over what time frame? And what rate of loss did you set MFP for?

It's taken me about 3 months. I have it set at 2 pounds per week, but I average at about 1 pound per week, sometimes less sometimes more though.
  • aem91409
    Options

The only time it has ever told me that I'm eating too few calories is when I don't enter all of my food.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

It's taken me about 3 months. I have it set at 2 pounds per week, but I average at about 1 pound per week, sometimes less sometimes more though.

You have 37 lbs to lose. You should set your goal to 1 lb a week...the closer to goal the closer to maintenance you should be eating.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Options

lightly active
    lose 1 pound per week

My BMI did come back as obese, so yes I did want to lose 2 pounds per week.

@ 5'3" 157# - your BMI is 27.8 overweight - not obese - and BMI calculators are basically crap.

I'm not trying to be mean - just giving you some very helpful info.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Er, maybe you guys are both coming down with something?

Other possible causes for the blahs: seasonal allergies, menstrual cycle, too much attention to calories & macros and not noticing lack of Iron, Vitamin B, etc.

I was feeling pretty worn out and blue on Sunday, and then my husband brought me home a big fat rare Lark Burger and after I ate it I suddenly perked up. Not sure what I was short on, but it was definitely the shot in the arm I needed.

Nothing wrong with 1,200 calories a day, assuming that's where you land after you eat back your exercise calories, and you are adequately tracking your calories burned (insert ad for FitBit here). Most people on here aren't really eating 1,200 a day. Then are doing something more like this: Eat 1,800 - 600 exercise = 1,200 calories. (and a ton of people are aiming for 1,800 or 2,000 a day depending on lifestyle).