Why is oatmeal

Options

Replies

• Vigilance88
    Vigilance88 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    980-muesli-bag2.jpg
    + peanut butter + protein powder you like.

dry / uncooked.

Or with yoghurt.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I can't eat oatmeal with sugar or fruit, I end up getting hungry pretty quickly afterward.

I like to throw in some chopped up rotisserie chicken. Other times I'll have it with a tbs of peanut butter.
  • bpp23
    bpp23 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Try steel cut. .It's soo much better than the regular! A bit of brown sugar & a handful of Crasins...
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I was raised eating oatmeal. Now I only eat the steel cut oats because I like the texture more than rolled oats. I normally eat oatmeal for breakfast about four times a week.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,674 Member
    Options
    If you want to get some oatmeal in your diet (extra water soluble fibre) but are not crazy about the taste I would suggest crumbing it and using it like breadcrumbs.

I bash it fine in the food processor (with the blade attachment) and use it for coating chicken before baking. I moisten the chicken chicken with buttermilk, low fat yoghurt or eggs before rolling in the bashed oatmeal. I spray with olive oil before baking in the oven.

Would imagine substituting bashed oatmeal for breadcrumbs in meatballs or meatloaf would be good too.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,038 Member
    Options
    I don't like oatmeal (porridge) either OP.

If you find it so disgusting, would you be better off abandoning it altogether and eating something else with similar nutrient value?
  • mjelina73
    mjelina73 Posts: 1
    Options
    I LOVE oatmeal for breakfast and if I have extra calories left over have even been known to have it for a snack. Take note: I am not talking about the instant oatmeal. That stuff is crap! I put 1/8 c. of steel cut oats in 1.5c boiling water, simmer for 5 min. then add 1/4c. large flake oats. When they're done I add 1/4c. vanilla almond milk, fresh fruit, and nuts or hemp seeds. Sometimes I'll peel and cut up apple and add it to the simmering oats until soft, adding in pumpkin pie spice. So delicious!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal for breakfast...

grew up on that, cream of wheat and red river...all grains...

My mom always just boiled water and salt...then we covered it with brown sugar and butter...still eat it that way.

Sometimes she would make us put milk on it with brown sugar...eh...I eat it with butter and brown sugar to this day.
  • cindyfew2
    cindyfew2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try it mixed with yogurt and blueberries delicious.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    It's slimy....enough said :ohwell:
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes I want to try them.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats.

that is all.
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I really like oatmeal with ginger, cinnamon and a bit of brown sugar. Sometimes I add fruit (banana, blueberries, craisins) too. At some point, I'll try steel cut oatmeal too, but its a bit pricey for me right now.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats cooked in a fuzzy logic rice cooker

that'll change your opinion...

add nuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon
  • lilndnfeather22
    lilndnfeather22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I actually like instant oatmeal......
    well the Nature's Path Optimum Cranberry Ginger Oatmeal kind. I love that instant oatmeal.....I don't love Quaker instant oatmeal though....

And I really really love Irish or Scottish oats...especially with just some milk...brown sugar...and golden raisins.
  • MWShep
    MWShep Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with cooking it, raw porridge oats + full fat milk + dried fruit = Awesome.

Carbs 131g, Fat 21g, Sat Fat 8g, Pro 29g, Fib 16g, Kcals 854
  • AmmyP
    AmmyP Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You can put it in the fridge if you would feel safer but the I haven't ever had a problem with leaving it on the counter. The bacteria in yogurt keeps it safe.
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Here's my way of eating oatmeal.

1 (14oz) can of pumpkin
    1 cup milk
    1 cup water
    1 cup oatmeal (I've been using Quaker old fashioned but just bought some steel cut to try)
    1/4 tspn salt
    1/2 tspn cinnamon
    1/4 tspn cardamom (this in in the ginger family and kind of strong, might want just 1/8 tspn or none)
    1/4 tspn cloves
    1/4 tspn nutmeg
    1 tspn vanilla extract (the real stuff)

Put all into a pan, stir to fully incorporate, bring to a boil then simmer for about 15 mins. This recipe makes four servings at approx 150 cals each or three servings at approx 200 cals each. Nice creamy texture, not mushy.

After it's cooked I add in whatever I'm in the mood for. Always 1 tblspn of brown sugar, flaxseed (you can add the flaxseed in while cooking too), pecan pieces, raisins, bananas, etc. Just adjust the cals for whatever you add in. Total cals usually come in around 300 per serving (I divide the recipe into thirds).

You can also sub vanilla almond milk for the reg milk to reduce some cals but you're also reducing protein when you do this. I've found that if I just eat oatmeal my blood sugar likes to take a bit of a dip so I usually eat a cheese stick about an hour after I eat the oatmeal,.

Just a thought ... maybe add some powdered egg whites into the oatmeal while cooking for added protein without a lot of added cals. Not too sure how this would cook up, have to give it a try.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    That pumpkin oatmeal sounds terrific! I'll have to try it one day. I've just started adding eggs (cooked over easy using cooking spray) and nuts to my oatmeal to help fix the blood sugar dip and it seems to help a lot. I think the powdered eggs might be okay and probably wouldn't affect the flavor too much.
  • amandabethc
    amandabethc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal a lot. I made a big batch with oatmeal, cinnamon, and raisins. I add 1/2 cup of it to 1 cup boiling water, cook and stir for a couple minutes. Then I add homemade jam. Less than a tablespoon. Makes me happy. :)