Why is oatmeal

Options
123457»

Replies

• Vermilliana
    Vermilliana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Regular flake oatmeal is pasty and ick. I hate the texture of it, same with steel cut. That said, I WAY prefer porridge oats (oats, oat bran, flax n other grains depending on brand) because it gives you some actual non-pasty substance in your mouth. I do 1c milk, 1c water, 1c oats, 1 banana (added before the oats), vanilla and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. The result is almost banana-breadish in flavour and in texture a bit too. My 9 year old LOVES it. Then again, he'd also happily live on meatloaf so, he's a lil odd *L*
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal. Don't add as much water and it won't turn into paste. It like it when the oats are still sort of individual. It's my only grain so I treasure it so!

I just ate some with peanut butter and banana in it. It was awesome. I only eat real oatmeal, not the instant crud.
  • Vermilliana
    Vermilliana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I actually like instant oatmeal......
    well the Nature's Path Optimum Cranberry Ginger Oatmeal kind. I love that instant oatmeal.....I don't love Quaker instant oatmeal though....

And I really really love Irish or Scottish oats...especially with just some milk...brown sugar...and golden raisins.
    Natures Path makes Awesome instant oatmeal! I don't think there is a flavour I don't like! Its a healthier, heartier alternative to Quakers sugar-loaded version. Come to think of it, everything Natures Path Makes is awesome. My son became rather hooked on their vanilla sunrise cereal.
  • chrissytodd1970
    chrissytodd1970 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i learned to make myself eat it....I dont know how...cause I wont touch lettuce with a ten foot pole!!
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I hate oatmeal made the regular way, too.

One day I discovered BAKED oatmeal, and it is SOOOO good!! It tastes wholesome and delicious. Mmmmm.

Ingredients:

1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts, divided
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
    Pinch of salt
    1/4 cup maple syrup (I used sugar free)
    1 cup milk (I used skim)
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    2-3 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
    1 cup blueberries or raspberries, fresh or frozen, divided

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375F.

2. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish. In a medium bowl, mix the oats, half of the walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to combine. In a liquid measuring cup, combine the syrup, milk, egg, butter, and vanilla.

3. Spread the sliced bananas in a single layer over the bottom of the baking dish. Top with half of the berries. Sprinkle the dry oat mixture over the fruit in an even layer. Pour the liquid ingredients evenly over the oats.

4. Sprinkle the remaining nuts and berries over the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is browned and the oats have set. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    How many servings in that, Serenity?
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I looooove oatmeal! It's the greatest! Now that you mention it, I'm going to go have a bowl....

I think I had oatmeal every morning for breakfast when I was a kid, elementary thru high school... and then college (because it was cheap!)
  • Oxxygi
    Oxxygi Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Outmeal is the best! I love wholegrain rolled outs just plain...I like the sweet taste it gives without added sugar or etc.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I confess, didn't read all 6 pages of replies so, sorry if is this is repetitive, but here's my 2 cents.

For some reason all the package directions I've seen call for half the optimal amount of water. Increase the liquid 50 or 100% and it's much better right away.

Secondly, think of the oats simply as a delivery system for the good stuff you add to it. It's like, you eat a cookie and think chocolate chip; not flour. Add LOTS of cherries, berries, mangos or whatever your arrow is pointing to at the moment. Add enough fruit that you don't need as much, or maybe even any, sugar or syrup.

Just a thought.
  • nitadances
    nitadances Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Rolled oats, quick cook oats and those sweetened oatmeal packets ... Blech. Awful. However, Steel cut oats done in the crockpot overnight and served with a simple teaspoon of brown-sugar splenda...marvelous. Tastes kind of nutty. It's like they roll the flavour out of rolled oats.
  • krysrago
    krysrago Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of the taste, but I do eat the instant oatmeal weight control by quaker oats. I have to eat something quick and the oatmeal normally fills me up.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    How many servings in that, Serenity?

It is about 6 servings