are looks important to you?

Options

Replies

• mralmayes
    mralmayes Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Looks or physical attraction are what first leads two people together. But, I think that after you get to know someone, regardless that means so much more.
  • saaber13
    saaber13 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    i'd rather date a cool chick that everyone gets along with than just some trophy
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    To a certain extent, but a great personality and sense of humor can easily make a man better looking over time. I've fallen for below average guys just because they won me over by making me smile and laugh.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Yes. Physical attraction is just one part of a complete package. Is it the most important? No. Still, I can't help that a healthy body (not talking about perfection) is attractive to me. The way a person takes care of himself says a lot about his values, interests and character. It's not that it's good or bad, right or wrong, just that someone who takes care of himself is a better match with my own personal goals and values. I'm sure everyone has their own preferences and their own ideas of what is attractive, right?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Looks fade, stupid is forever.

I disagree with the idea that we all turn hideous and appearances don't matter after a certain age. Sure, youth fades, but beauty (both inner and outer) doesn't have to. A person's looks develop and change over time. If you live a hard lifestyle, your body breaks down faster and you start to look pretty rough over time. If you feel like crap you probably look like it, too. But I have known quite a few older people who are healthy, vibrant and even attractive. They're the kind of people you see and think, "Dang, I hope I look half as good when I'm that age!" A lot of it is positive attitude and living a healthy lifestyle.
  • Lil_Northern_Light
    Lil_Northern_Light Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Yes. Physical attraction is just one part of a complete package. Is it the most important? No. Still, I can't help that a healthy body (not talking about perfection) is attractive to me. The way a person takes care of himself says a lot about his values, interests and character. It's not that it's good or bad, right or wrong, just that someone who takes care of himself is a better match with my own personal goals and values. I'm sure everyone has their own preferences and their own ideas of what is attractive, right?

Right! The average joe who shows that he is healthy, active and has a good sense of humor - that's what I see/look for
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Are looks important to me? Yes of course for the initial physical attraction but this is only a fleeting thing lasting days or weeks. I might be initially attracted to the way a person looks, but I would never date them for any length of time if that was all they had going for them especially if they were mean, ignorant, disrespectful, stupid or generally a ****head. It wouldn't matter how good looking that person is there needs to be something more to keep the spark alive.

The saddest thing is when you have a great guy and the physical spark fades and although they still are good looking and really nice sometimes the "zing" just doesn't last.

Physical attractiveness and "good looks" are not necessarily one and the same thing.
  • Hardnfast
    Hardnfast Posts: 463
    Options
    I think there needs to be the physical attraction but it doesnt mean they have to have movie star looks/features. It could be something simple such as eyes or smile that draw you to someone.
    It really depends on your intentions, if its just for a quickie then its only about looks, unless of course you are off your face and dont care. :drinker:
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Of course they are, so is a good personality and sense of humour...along with similar values.
  • crissy_percival
    crissy_percival Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    personally they are not to important to me, i would rather personality
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Isn't it subjective? Aren't some attracted to different cultures? Others attracted to hair styles? Some like the "natural" look, while others prefer the "made up" look? Piercings might do it for some while discourage others?
    So how can anyone put a standard on what's good looking and what's not?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    To an extent, yes. You have to have some physical spark there, otherwise your relationship is just a friendship.
    By the same token, a good looking idiot is still an idiot - so that will eventually overrule the initial physical attraction.

As long as you're not a complete couch potato, that's as far as looks go with me! :)
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    To an extent, yes. You have to have some physical spark there, otherwise your relationship is just a friendship.
    By the same token, a good looking idiot is still an idiot - so that will eventually overrule the initial physical attraction.

As long as you're not a complete couch potato, that's as far as looks go with me! :)
    How YOU doin' :flowerforyou: :laugh:

You preach it, my hulky brotha! :tongue:
    Edit: Typo.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options

Testify, sistah! TESTIFAH!!!
  • Sinisterly
    Options

Testify, sistah! TESTIFAH!!!
    You have GOT to record yourself saying that! Or better yet, sing us a song LOLOL
  • HunterKiller_deleted
    Options
    The uglier the better. I like a challenge when trying to get an erection.
  • Sinisterly
    Options
    lulwat
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    phuckingbadasscutie Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options

Hahaha :laugh:
  • lolosensan
    lolosensan Posts: 251
    Options
    I think being physically attracted to your partner is incredibly important, but I don't think traditional "good looks" are a necessity for physical attraction. There are many things that make someone physically attractive and what is attractive to me may not be attractive to you, and what I find attractive in one person, I would not necessarily find attractive in another person.

What makes someone physically attractive varies wildly from person to person, changes over time, changes with the way you think about that person and is basically impossible to really quantify.

Would someone have to be drop dead gorgeous before I'd date them? No (though luckily my husband is a total hottie) but would I need to be physically attracted to them? Yes. But it isn't necessarily their looks that makes them physically attractive.

Beautifully put! I dated this (would be considered by most people's standards) average to not that attractive guy. He had thin lips and his eyes were really close together and he was a chub but he had charm and he was so damn sexy to me!