Super awesome cardio that ISN'T jogging....

Options
Don't get me wrong, I "run" (20 min sprint interval is my pre weight training warm up), but besides that I really loathe running. I have run several 1/2 marathons and one full in the past. It's boring as fu$& to me. Not sure why I kept doing it..guess I figured if I did it long enough I'd learn to love it? Nah..never happened. Yet, so many people "run" because they think it's the best cardio for weight loss. I think this often leads to short lived exercise regeimes. I think it's important to find exercise you actually would do EVEN IF YOU WERENT TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT.

So for all the non runners...please list the cardio you LOVE to do!

Mine

1. Mountaineering/hiking
2. Roller Derby
3. Rock Climbing
4. Salsa Dancing

Replies

• kuntry_navySD
    kuntry_navySD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    circuit training, hiking with weight vest, hitting a heavy bag
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Biking (mtn. or road), trail running, hiking!
  • MagdaSea
    MagdaSea Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I flippin' HATE running. I swear the only thing that is keeping me at it is that I have a highly competitive friend who can run 5k in just over 20 minutes.

If I could afford to do roller derby, I would sign up this instant.

1. Rollerblading
    2. Happy Hardcore Dancing
    3. Biking
    4. Hiking
    5. Skiing
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Hiking, heavy bag or I just lift weights faster
  • usmcj80
    usmcj80 Posts: 58
    Options
    hmmm you took out running so I am going with hiking and I used to enjoy heavy bag back in the day as well.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Spin
    Hiking
    Biking- outdoors
    Walking on nature trails
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I enjoy biking and recently started using battle ropes as an awesome cardio workout
  • sabrina19782014
    sabrina19782014 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Zumba :) great workout for the whole body

I also love the static bike (only as i dont have a real one) but it gets the blood flowing and the heart racing
  • walkee
    walkee Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA!!!
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Hitting the heavy bag or boxing drills are awesome.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm surprised no one said swimming yet.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Cross training and skipping. Just had to Google battle ropes -holy smokes looks like an amazing workout! !
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Throw on a 40-lb pack and hit the trails for a few hours.
    Good for cardio, good for mental well-being to get beyond where you can hear cars, people, and aircraft.
  • cryptonyt
    cryptonyt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Soccer does it for me. (Even just by myself in on the pitch across the road from me.)
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I recently got a skipping rope and love it! Also Zumba :)
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Skating - inline and quad. I :heart: it so much!
    Belly Dancing
    Hiking

I tried running, too. I wanted to like it. I really did. It just never happened.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Swimming is awesome if you can do it outside. But I find swimming laps in an indoor pool can get pretty boring after awhile. Eventually it becomes sort of like running on a treadmill except you're drowning too.

IMHO any cardio that can be done outside is pretty enjoyable. Perhaps try finding some nicer places to exercise, like parks?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Swimming is awesome if you can do it outside. But I find swimming laps in an indoor pool can get pretty boring after awhile. Eventually it becomes sort of like running on a treadmill except you're drowning too.

IMHO any cardio that can be done outside is pretty enjoyable. Perhaps try finding some nicer places to exercise, like parks?

:laugh: dude, that had me cracking up!!

yes, i suppose lap swimming can get monotonous. but the great thing is that you only have to do 1/4 the distance in the pool to get the equivalent work out for running.
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I hate running too, but have signed up for a 10k run for Cancer Research this July! Sigh! Am not sure why I did. lol!

1. Zumba (Love it! My favourite-st cardio exercise)
    2. Any kind of dancing (I could be exhausted after a whole day, but as soon as I hear a beat I like, I start moving)
    3. Aerobics (not as much fun as zumba though)
    4. Walking (I do at least 40 minutes everyday, mostly out of necessity though. I don't have a car)
  • _Danno_
    _Danno_ Posts: 165
    Options
    Spin class is an awesome calorie burn