Just For Today

Options
I once heard a very wise person say that she was just one cookie away from being 300 lbs again (she was about 150 lbs at the time). I thought that statement was a little drastic at the time. However, I have come to realize the truth of it. I followed a very rigid eating plan to lose the weight after my 4th child. But when my baby turned one, that piece of birthday cake that I ate quickly turned into 30 lbs gained. I know now that if I don't keep control of the food, it will control me. That being said, I find the thought of eating healthy for the rest of my life to be a little (okay, a lot) daunting. That's why tomorrow has become my best friend. I tell myself that I'm going to eat healthy forever, so I will enjoy one last day of treats today. Unfortunately, today has lasted for several months.

So my new mantra is "For Today". I will not think about eating healthy tomorrow (until tonight when I plan tomorrow's food). I will decide to eat healthy "for Today". When I get through today, I will recommit tomorrow, and the next day and the next. Hopefully, when I've chosen the right enough times, I will forget to have to choose, it will just be my life.

Replies

• CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will not be talked out of doing what is right.
    :blushing:
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Just for today I won't give up.
  • SaLandrum
    SaLandrum Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Just for Today:
    I will try to do an extra Random Act of Kindness because it makes me happy.
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Great post CricketKate - thanks for posting it. I like this thinking. I'm going to adopt this starting tomorrow.

did you see that? I made a little joke, I'm starting today really.
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Just for today: I accept that sometimes..... I'm gonna give into McDONALD'S FRENCH FRIES!!!! :bigsmile:
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Just for today: I won't feed my sorrow over getting sad news - instead I'll just allow myself to cry until I feel better.

(I love your post...thank you!)
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I like the "one day at a time" philosophy. However, I think being overly strict about eating (a la only being a cookie away from 300 lbs.) is not something that is sustainable.

Learning to normalize our eating is key to not only losing weight, but keeping it off. Learning how to have a cookie - just one - if you want one, instead of fearing it will lead to you being 300 lbs., to me seems like the way to go.....at least for me.
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I once heard a very wise person say that she was just one cookie away from being 300 lbs again (she was about 150 lbs at the time). I thought that statement was a little drastic at the time. However, I have come to realize the truth of it. I followed a very rigid eating plan to lose the weight after my 4th child. But when my baby turned one, that piece of birthday cake that I ate quickly turned into 30 lbs gained. I know now that if I don't keep control of the food, it will control me. That being said, I find the thought of eating healthy for the rest of my life to be a little (okay, a lot) daunting. That's why tomorrow has become my best friend. I tell myself that I'm going to eat healthy forever, so I will enjoy one last day of treats today. Unfortunately, today has lasted for several months.

So my new mantra is "For Today". I will not think about eating healthy tomorrow (until tonight when I plan tomorrow's food). I will decide to eat healthy "for Today". When I get through today, I will recommit tomorrow, and the next day and the next. Hopefully, when I've chosen the right enough times, I will forget to have to choose, it will just be my life.

Excellent mantra. I love it!
    I understand your mentality to an extent. My Father is a recovering alcoholic and he says he's one drink away from relapsing again... even after over sixteen years of sobriety.
    You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Just for today: I accept that sometimes..... I'm gonna give into McDONALD'S FRENCH FRIES!!!! :bigsmile:

Well der. Their call is siren.
  • TXEXrunner
    TXEXrunner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I like your thinking. Remember this catch phrase as you proceed through your journey. Like a marathon, take it one step (or day) at a time. Before long you will be in a rhythm. Just for today will be your life!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: No Excuses!
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Just for today: I won't worry about things that haven't happened yet.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Just for tonight, I will close the kitchen and not eat before bed.
    Just for today: I won't worry about things that haven't happened yet.
    I hear that. :smile:
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Just for today I will do my workout (and clean my room).
  • eweightloser
    eweightloser Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will get that 8 glasses of water in
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Just for today I will not stress about finding a new job. Tomorrow has enough worries of it's own.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will focus on today and leave tomorrow's worries for tomorrow.
  • Xingy01
    Xingy01 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    One thing to remember about eating sweets is nothing will be better than the first bite. You don't need to eat the whole thing. That 2nd cookie or 2nd bite of cake will never taste as good as the first. If you can't incorporate a little of everything into your diet, you will struggle. Getting to a healthy weight knowing that I will be able to eat anything will feel so much better than getting there by denying myself some of the foods I love and struggling every day to avoid them.

I know for a fact that I'm not 1 bite of anything from gaining what I've lost so far. Even if I have a moment of weakness and overeat at one meal, I'm perfectly capable of reigning it in.

For anyone else who struggles with this same issue, my advice is to put the food away after you get your portion. Take your cookie out, seal the container back up, go eat your cookie away from the container. Same at dinner time. Get your plate of food, put the leftovers in the refrigerator, then eat. If it's not immediately available, you're far less likely to go back for more.
  • jlvlcek
    jlvlcek Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will not beat myself up for not working out this morning. I will realize I need to allow my body to rest and that one day off will help me more in the end!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will MOVE MOVE MOVE!