I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• CowboyTweeks1102
    CowboyTweeks1102 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey! Great Job! I know there a lot of questions being thrown around but mine is ... Did you have any issues with stretch marks or pigmentation? If so did they lessen with weight loss? Are they more or less visual?
  • kaykaymichellee
    kaykaymichellee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How did u set up your calories mostly carbs, fats,proteins?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Hey! Great Job! I know there a lot of questions being thrown around but mine is ... Did you have any issues with stretch marks or pigmentation? If so did they lessen with weight loss? Are they more or less visual?
    I have some very mild stretch marks. You can see them a little bit in the winter time when I have no tan. During the summer, they are basically invisible.
    How did u set up your calories mostly carbs, fats,proteins?
    This is the method I use
  • mkstevet
    mkstevet Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I apologize if this has been asked before but during your cutting phase how consistent was your weight loss? We're there weeks that you didn't lose anything and if so did you make any alterations to your diet/exercise or did you keep at it? Thanks!
  • vismal
    Options
    mkstevet wrote: »
    I apologize if this has been asked before but during your cutting phase how consistent was your weight loss? We're there weeks that you didn't lose anything and if so did you make any alterations to your diet/exercise or did you keep at it? Thanks!
    Weight loss is rarely linear. There are times when I won't lose weight for up to 3 weeks. Because I am very confident in my calorie counting, I don't let this bother me. I know I am in a deficit, and despite the scale not showing it, fat is being lost. Usually after about 3 or so weeks the scale catches up. If more time than that goes by, I explore possible causes (inaccurate tracking, lower than normal daily physical activity, recent increase in sodium intake, etc). For beginners, it's almost always a case of inaccurate tracking. It's the first thing I'd examine if weight loss stalled. For the more advanced calorie counter, it's usually water retention that will resolve itself. Making adjustments after a week of no losses is silly, it could be a million different things. I would wait at least 3 weeks to look for any problems (besides inaccurate tracking, there is never a bad time to examine tracking!)
  • Warblade2015
    Warblade2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ok, got a question. Did you have a hard time staying motivated and have hard time to lose weight at first?? I've been in crossfit for nearly two months and only lost about 5 lbs so far. I thought it'd be a lot more, but it seems dissappointing to lose so little for so long.
  • Scrntn
    Scrntn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a female, 5'1 and 135lbs. Most of it is fat though. I am going to start following a PPL routine but am not sure how many calories I should be eating. I do need to lose fat. Should I eat at maintence, or lower? Any suggesstions for TDEE - a certain number of cals?
  • Eskay11
    Eskay11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight and I would like to consider myself as very dedicated haha .... but I don't want to sell myself dreams. I currently weight 160 pounds and I am exactly 5 ft tall
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    smarvel01 wrote: »
    I'm am 62 and morbidly obese too at 5 7. Can u really do this. Exercise, except mild treadmill is almost impossible at this point but it am desperate to lose 80 lbs. If am proud of ya buddy.
    Concentrate on your diet first. Exercise is great for some added calorie burn and doing things like walking on a treadmill or walking outdoors helps, but diet is going to be the key. You can lose 80 lbs through diet alone if you are consistent and dedicated.
    I'll second this advice. At 51, and obese, I couldn't do anything but walk, and even that was painful.
    Between diet and walking, I dropped 75 lbs.
    By this point, I was in much better shape, and transitioned to lifting, and "running" on the elliptical machine at the gym.
    Don't worry about what you can't do just yet ... make the most of what you can do. More will come later.
    Before, my knees screamed when I did stairs. Now I zip up them, 2 at a time.
  • Kimgreen27
    Kimgreen27 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When u started did u just eat daily cals or did u eat daily cals and workout cals?
  • vismal
    Options
    Scrntn wrote: »
    I am a female, 5'1 and 135lbs. Most of it is fat though. I am going to start following a PPL routine but am not sure how many calories I should be eating. I do need to lose fat. Should I eat at maintence, or lower? Any suggesstions for TDEE - a certain number of cals?
    Knowing whether fat loss or muscle gain should come first is hard to determine without seeing pictures of your physique. My guess based solely on height and weight would be fat loss first, but again, I'd need to see your physique to give a more informed opinion. I'd also have to take your long term goals into consideration. Calories to eat per day would totally depend on whether or not fat loss or muscle gain was the goal. I would not run a PPL routine as a novice. They are better suited for intermediate/advanced lifters. While It's better then a single body part split, something like a proven beginners program would be better.
    Eskay11 wrote: »
    I want to lose weight and I would like to consider myself as very dedicated haha .... but I don't want to sell myself dreams. I currently weight 160 pounds and I am exactly 5 ft tall
    Losing weight doesn't have to be a dream. If you utilize proper diet and exercise, you can reach any reasonable goal you set.
    Kimgreen27 wrote: »
    When u started did u just eat daily cals or did u eat daily cals and workout cals?
    I never ate back workout calories. It's confusing and most people underestimate what they eat and overestimate what they burn. I find it easier to just pick any reasonable calorie number for a goal, eat that number for a few weeks, then adjust based on actual results.

• Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • Kimgreen27
    Options
    Thx
  • Kimgreen27
    Options
    Sunshine...how much have u lost thus far and how long has it taken you? If u don't mind me asking
  • fruitystix
    fruitystix Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    <3>:)
  • Bassma2015
    Bassma2015 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    U rock !
  • realcamillecannon
    realcamillecannon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    " What do you think are the top 5 things that led to your success?"
    [/quote]
    1. Myfitnesspal of course. It wasn't until I began tracking my intake that my success really started to take off
    2. Understanding that "eating clean" is meaningless and that in order to have true life long success I had to eat foods I enjoyed (ice cream, cookies, etc) on a regular basis but in moderation
    3. Lifting heavy weights
    4. Not listening when people say "you lost enough already" or "you are getting too skinny"
    5. Learning as much about the science behind nutrition and dieting as possible. There is more pseudoscience and myths in this field then any other on earth! So much BS to cut through to find the truth.[/quote]

What/Where do you recommend reading to learn about the latest research in nutrition and weight loss?
    Thanks and amazing job!
  • toocute98ru
    toocute98ru Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!! Amazing. Thanks for being an open book about your success.
  • toocute98ru
    toocute98ru Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!! Amazing. Thanks for being an open book about your success.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!