I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• 4800volts
    4800volts Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks! The thread has been awesome to read! So what about creatine? Do you take it for just bulking phases or both? How do you use your method of watching the scales results to set calorie adjustments when creatine will boost your water weight by up to twelve pounds? What would be a general overview of creatine usage? I'm not currently using creatine but would like to try it and I really don't know what to expect or how to start. I am 230 lbs now and want to start lifting on a cut at around 200lbs and lift and cut down to 190-180lbs area. Then try to bulk and cut. I know it's a broad question but it hasn't been discussed much in your thread. Thanks again, you have already been extremely helpful!
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I never ate back workout calories. It's confusing and most people underestimate what they eat and overestimate what they burn. I find it easier to just pick any reasonable calorie number for a goal, eat that number for a few weeks, then adjust based on actual results.

[/quote]

This answers the exact question I was looking to ask today.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Noelv1976 wrote: »
    Dude, biggest question I have is, how did you get rid of the pesky love handles???
    You cannot spot reduce fat. You must keep losing fat until it comes off of all the areas you want it to. No tricks here, just keep getting leaner.
    smileyjame wrote: »
    Wow! So amazing!! I've been working out and get off track with eating sometimes. Especially with family get togethers. Any words of encouragement when I get to those times of needing self control?

Also I'm having a tough time getting my core stronger and my triceps area, I have always had flabby skin there since I was young. I really want to tone those areas more, suggestions??
    Toning does not exist. You cannot tone a muscle. To achieve a toned look, you must gain enough lean mass in the area to have a muscular base, and then lose enough fat to reveal the muscle. Normally people have to do a long fat loss phase in the beginning, then focus on lean mass accumulation for a while, then do another shorter fat loss phase. This is true about all areas in your body,
  • vismal
    Options
    megcorey wrote: »
    Ok so i fell off the calorie wagon missed 3 lift days nd gained like 10lbs so i got back on the wagon still have the 10lbs but when i look in the mirror i think i look smaller nd measurements havent moved much am i nuts!!! Could this be some kinda messed up diet mind f@!# of some sort?did u have these weird times
    Short term fluctuations don't mean anything. To gain 10 lbs of fat you'd need to eat 35,000 calories above your maintenance. Seems pretty unlikely for only 3 days. Just get back to your deficit and it will eventually come off.
    4800volts wrote: »
    Thanks! The thread has been awesome to read! So what about creatine? Do you take it for just bulking phases or both? How do you use your method of watching the scales results to set calorie adjustments when creatine will boost your water weight by up to twelve pounds? What would be a general overview of creatine usage? I'm not currently using creatine but would like to try it and I really don't know what to expect or how to start. I am 230 lbs now and want to start lifting on a cut at around 200lbs and lift and cut down to 190-180lbs area. Then try to bulk and cut. I know it's a broad question but it hasn't been discussed much in your thread. Thanks again, you have already been extremely helpful!
    I take creatine year round. There is no reason to discontinue it during a cut. It does not affect fat loss. I've never seen anyone gain 12 lbs of water from taking creatine. Even if you did, water weight isn't important. Just start taking it and don't stop. After the initial water weight gain, you'll never need to worry about it again. I'd say 3-5 lbs is more realistic. I would start lifting now. Losing weight without lifting can cause loss of lean tissue. Anyone who has any kind of physique or aesthetic goals doesn't want lean mass losses. Weighting to lose 30 lbs before lifting has no plus side and a big potential down side.

• misssmadalyn
    misssmadalyn Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have seen your pictures somewhere before? Or maybe I've viewed this already.. Great job!!! You're doing awesome!!!! Did you have stretch marks or is that a female thing?
  • vismal
    Options
    Hey! I have seen your pictures somewhere before? Or maybe I've viewed this already.. Great job!!! You're doing awesome!!!! Did you have stretch marks or is that a female thing?
    Still have them but fortunately during the summer time, when my shirt has the highest likelihood of being off, my complexion is such that they are virtually invisible once I get even a little bit tan.
  • 4800volts
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Okay then how about a follow up question on creatine. What brand and how much do you recommend I take? The brand I have is a mix and it's about 300 calories a serving. Also when and how do you recommend I take it? Thanks
  • hallemma710
    hallemma710 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 193 and 5'7 I wanna loose 33 pounds in 3 months because I'm going to Florida with my fiancé and I would like to look good in a bikini. Any advice??
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Additional follow up question on Creatine : Should I be using this and why?
    Fitness ignorant who is learning as quickly as possible.
  • nb9251
    nb9251 Posts: 151 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    First off, AWESOME JOB and Thank you!!!! I have spent the past few days reading all of the posts and I know that I speak for us all when I say how much I appreciate you taking time out of your life to give us all advice so we can be as successful as you.

I'm hoping that you can give me your opinion on my plan.

29 yrs old
    female
    5'3"
    225 lbs
    Body Fat 50.2% at last check

I just started this week, but am eating approx. 1300 calories per day with a macro split of 25% carbs, 40% protein and 35% fat.

For exercise I'm doing a program found on the JE Fit app. It includes moderate cardio (about 30 minutes each day), and strength training of various body parts. Each workout is about 1 hour-1.5 hours and it tells me to workout 6 days per week.

I am looking to lose about 85 lbs and get down to 18%-20% body fat. Do you think this is a solid plan?

Thanks again!
  • jamallbarber1985
    jamallbarber1985 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation!
  • vismal
    Options
    Okay then how about a follow up question on creatine. What brand and how much do you recommend I take? The brand I have is a mix and it's about 300 calories a serving. Also when and how do you recommend I take it? Thanks
    Creatine shouldn't have any calories. I use whichever brand of creatine monohydrate is the cheapest. GNC did a deal 1.5 years ago where I got nearly 3 years of product for around 30 bucks. I'm fairly sure it was a misprint but it's been keeping me stocked up ever since. I take 5 grams a day, every day. No need to do a loading dose.
    I'm 193 and 5'7 I wanna loose 33 pounds in 3 months because I'm going to Florida with my fiancé and I would like to look good in a bikini. Any advice??
    11 lbs a month for 3 consecutive months is a pretty aggressive goal. I would focus more on making lifestyle changes to lose the weight in a sustainable fashion and keep it off for good. I'm sure you'll still want to look good in a bikini even after vacation is over so I wouldn't try and do a drastic diet that has a low chance of long term success. I'd start counting calories and eat in a caloric deficit. I'd also do some kind of resistance training to preserve lean muscle (a beginners lifting program). While having an aggressive goal can sometimes be a good thing, I'd also strive to make sure the goal is both realistic, and sustainable long term.
    Creatine monohydrate is one of the oldest, most studied supplements. Everything you need to know about it is here: http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/
    nb9251 wrote: »
    First off, AWESOME JOB and Thank you!!!! I have spent the past few days reading all of the posts and I know that I speak for us all when I say how much I appreciate you taking time out of your life to give us all advice so we can be as successful as you.

29 yrs old
    female
    5'3"
    225 lbs

I just started this week, but am eating approx. 1300 calories per day with a macro split of 25% carbs, 40% protein and 35% fat.

For exercise I'm doing a program found on the JE Fit app. It includes moderate cardio (about 30 minutes each day), and strength training of various body parts. Each workout is about 1 hour-1.5 hours and it tells me to workout 6 days per week.

I am looking to lose about 85 lbs and get down to 18%-20% body fat. Do you think this is a solid plan?

Thanks again!
    I think 1300 calories is WAY to low to start. You leave yourself very little room to reduce calories later on. As far as workouts go, strength training should be all body parts 2-3 times a week. 3x a week total body workouts are usually best for beginners. Daily cardio might be a bit too excessive as well. Maybe 3 days lifting, 3 days cardio, 1 day off and more calories to start.

• 4800volts
    Options
    I just got done with today's lifting, thanks for the advice. I lost 76lbs a couple years back but didn't have any knowledge on how to keep it off. Your thread has really enlightened me to long term, low weight gain while bulking with shorter cutting sessions while continuing to lift. This info really gave me a new goal once I get to my goal weight. I also like the info you have given on transitions from one calorie goal to another wether a bulk or cut. The good news is I have been able to maintain pretty good muscle mass though it all. I have really enjoyed lifting 5 days a week for up to two hours a day in previous years. I wish I new then what I understand now. Thanks again.
  • nb9251
    nb9251 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Creatine shouldn't have any calories. I use whichever brand of creatine monohydrate is the cheapest. GNC did a deal 1.5 years ago where I got nearly 3 years of product for around 30 bucks. I'm fairly sure it was a misprint but it's been keeping me stocked up ever since. I take 5 grams a day, every day. No need to do a loading dose.
    11 lbs a month for 3 consecutive months is a pretty aggressive goal. I would focus more on making lifestyle changes to lose the weight in a sustainable fashion and keep it off for good. I'm sure you'll still want to look good in a bikini even after vacation is over so I wouldn't try and do a drastic diet that has a low chance of long term success. I'd start counting calories and eat in a caloric deficit. I'd also do some kind of resistance training to preserve lean muscle (a beginners lifting program). While having an aggressive goal can sometimes be a good thing, I'd also strive to make sure the goal is both realistic, and sustainable long term.
    Creatine monohydrate is one of the oldest, most studied supplements. Everything you need to know about it is here: http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/

29 yrs old
    female
    5'3"
    225 lbs

Thanks again!
    I think 1300 calories is WAY to low to start. You leave yourself very little room to reduce calories later on. As far as workouts go, strength training should be all body parts 2-3 times a week. 3x a week total body workouts are usually best for beginners. Daily cardio might be a bit too excessive as well. Maybe 3 days lifting, 3 days cardio, 1 day off and more calories to start.

Thank you. One quick follow up question. Do you have any suggestions on how to eat more? It sounds crazy that I'm having trouble eating more, but since I started making healthy choices I find myself stuffed and just making it to 1300 calories
  • vismal
    Options

29 yrs old
    female
    5'3"
    225 lbs

Thanks again!

Thank you. One quick follow up question. Do you have any suggestions on how to eat more? It sounds crazy that I'm having trouble eating more, but since I started making healthy choices I find myself stuffed and just making it to 1300 calories
    Once you are fairly satisfied with the amount of nutritious foods you've eaten in a day, its okay to add 1 or 2 less nutritious choices to finish off the rest of the days calories. If you'd rather not do that, foods like nuts and nut butters, avocado, non lean meat/fish, olive oil, full fat cheeses or other dairy products can pack quite a few calories relative to the amount of satiation they provide.
  • 102333vr
    102333vr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to do an AMA so I thought I'd set one up here. The basics about my story are that I went from 315lbs to 195 and have been making small gains in muscles/losses to fat ever since. Ask me anything, anything at all!
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

Add me as a friend on here too!
    What did ur diet consist of?

• vismal
    Options
    102333vr wrote: »
    I've always wanted to do an AMA so I thought I'd set one up here. The basics about my story are that I went from 315lbs to 195 and have been making small gains in muscles/losses to fat ever since. Ask me anything, anything at all!
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

Add me as a friend on here too!
    What did ur diet consist of?
    Food....

• leebee187
    leebee187 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    47lbs down just following the advice in this thread.

Thank you :)
  • Amik07
    Amik07 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    what a motivating story you have I am just starting on May1, 2015. I have over 100 lbs to lose, just keeping track of what I eat and the total amazes me especially if I did not eat the amount that they say I can eat which is a very large amount, and I am an active swimming aqua fit 5 times a week and some walking which I love. Thanks for sharing your story. You look amazing!!!
  • sarajp92
    sarajp92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Woweee you've done great! I notice from your diary its not just ice creams you love, are corndogs your secret really?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!