I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• connorlauren3638
    connorlauren3638 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me how many calories I should be having a day to loose weight? Im 29 female . Height 4ft 11, weight 8st 7, minimal exercise
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    ieroen wrote: »
    Hey dude, I've been checking out your vids on YT and saw your opinion on not eating back any earned calories. My question is: do you feel the same about so-called "refeed days"? Say for example, I cut at a daily 500 calorie deficit and I workout 3 times a week. Since my diet is already in place for my cutting, would it be a good idea to take one day in the week and add those workout calories back into my diet with extra carbs and fats? I heard that it will keep the metabolism from slowing down and that eating more carbs will replenish glycogen levels. I was wondering what your take on this is.
    A refeed day is only necessary for those who are already fairly lean. They do less to help your metabolism and more to fuel workouts through glycogen replenishment and can also be a psychological break. If you want to reduce the mild adaptations that occur during dieting a 2 week diet break, not a refeed, is the best approach.

If you are already lean and want a refeed you do not want extra fats during a that day, fats should be get as low as reasonably possible during a refeed. I usually eat maintenance calories, my normal amount of protein, 30 grams of fat or less, and the rest carbs. Refeeds are not cheat days. They are just as structured as any other day just with different macros.
    jennyooh99 wrote: »
    you mention a few pages back for a beginner to start with 3 days/week full body weight training, and I think 3 days cardio. you also mention if you use hiit for cardio to only do hiit one out of the 3 cardio days. why is that?

also, for the weight training you recommend 5x5, which looks like a great program to follow, but the heavy weight sounds so intimidating! if i'm at the start of my weight loss adventure (i have about 60 pounds to lose, i'm a 50 yo woman, 5'9"), is 5x5 a good place to start or is starting slowly, with lower weights and higher reps better while i'm initially in a weight loss phase early on?

thank you so much!
    Well, 3 days lifting and 3 days cardio is the maximum I recommend but is too much for many people. Capping HIIT at 1 day is because it taxes recovery similar to lifting. So 3 days lifting + a HIIT day for the body is a lot when recovery is already impaired due to being in a calorie deficit. The focus of losing weight should always be based on diet and not cardio. Cardio is a tool to burn additional calories but too much of it can cause problems for many people. There is no beneficial reason to doing high reps with low weights when in a calorie deficit. 5x5 "heavy" training helps preserve lean muscle tissue. You must remember that heavy is subjective though. Whatever weight causes the 5x5 to be a challenge and causes you to just barely finish the set is considered "heavy" for you, even if it's an empty bar. I would say if you are unfamiliar with lifting in general that squat and deadlift can be dangerous if performed incorrectly and starting with dumbbell variants of those lifts is acceptable until you grow more comfortable.
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I am unfit and round (for background)
    I have tennis elbow (would be funny if it didn't hurt so much,)
    I would like to lift but am scared of pain.
    Did you have to work with any injuries?
  • Taylor076097
    Taylor076097 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    This is so inspirational. I have lost 25 Pounds with 75 to go. I have had people tell me that I shouldn't be lifting weights or doing any resistance training until I get to my goal weight. I did not listen. And seeing your success makes it so worth it :)
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    are you single? :)
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    lilmiss_sunshine29 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Did you lift during your entire weigh loss? If so, what type of lifting did you do?

Extremely impressive physique change, btw!

This☝
  • vismal
    Options
    Can you tell me how many calories I should be having a day to loose weight? Im 29 female . Height 4ft 11, weight 8st 7, minimal exercise
    Very petite women are sometimes hard to guess a calorie goal for and unfortunately often times that goal is very low. I typically recommend starting at around 10 calories per lb you weigh for weight loss which puts you right around 1200 calories. It's a decent starting point. I'd track calories closely and try to clock in around 1200. If after a few weeks you lose weight then you can remain at that number, if you do not, slowly reduce calories.
    I am unfit and round (for background)
    I have tennis elbow (would be funny if it didn't hurt so much,)
    I would like to lift but am scared of pain.
    Did you have to work with any injuries?

I had a pretty severe back injury a few years ago that still dictates how I can train today. I am forced to choose less than optimal exercises in order to not re-injure myself. My advice would be to find out which exercises you tolerate and find substitutes for those you do not. While substitutions aren't always optimal, they allow you to train injury free which is going to be most import for the long run.
    This is so inspirational. I have lost 25 Pounds with 75 to go. I have had people tell me that I shouldn't be lifting weights or doing any resistance training until I get to my goal weight. I did not listen. And seeing your success makes it so worth it :)

For whatever reason many people are pretty ignorant when it comes to understanding resistance training. They read to many magazines and believe too many fitness myths. Weight training is extremely important for someone trying to lose weight if body composition is at all part of their goal.
    are you single? :)

Married with a baby girl :)
  • trinityann8423
    trinityann8423 Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I was told by a trainer that you could not lose weight and gain muscle at the same time...then how can lifting while trying to lose weight help? I am 5'6 female and weigh 161 (weight goal of 130, at my highest 5 years ago I was 240)and have been going to the gym for almost a month 5 days a week and haven't lost any weight (though oddly enough my clothes fit better) ,have only just started with myfitnesspal this last week and never go over calories (though I have discovered using it that I have more fat and sugar in my diet than I thought) anyways....I don't want too much loose skin but I also wanted to get smaller before I put on lean muscle mass and so confused on how to do so :/ Congrats on your progress and maintaining btw, very motivating!
  • ieroen
    ieroen Posts: 77 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've been looking for a program that I can stick to for the next 18 weeks while cutting. I need a novice full body workout to do 3 x week. I like things simple and straightforward. That's why I was drawn to the Stronglifts program, but also a little put off by the high set count & doing squats every time. Then I saw this program on Reddit, an adaptation to Greyskull LP. I kinda like its progression system, fewer sets and separating squats and deadlifts. Feels like something I can stick to. Any thoughts on this program?
  • trinityann8423
    trinityann8423 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    But I won't gain weight from lifting instead of losing? I just worried since I have 30 to lose. I am not obese,by medical standards I am only 6 pounds overweight (because of my height of 5'6 I can be healthy and weigh up to 155 but I want to be on the slimmer side of healthy at 130),but I am new to weightlifting.
  • Zoee2017
    Zoee2017 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great job! Here's to many happy fit years of marrige... Really great to hear your story.
  • vismal
    Options
    ieroen wrote: »
    I've been looking for a program that I can stick to for the next 18 weeks while cutting. I need a novice full body workout to do 3 x week. I like things simple and straightforward. That's why I was drawn to the Stronglifts program, but also a little put off by the high set count & doing squats every time. Then I saw this program on Reddit, an adaptation to Greyskull LP. I kinda like its progression system, fewer sets and separating squats and deadlifts. Feels like something I can stick to. Any thoughts on this program?
    Greyskull is a fine program. I would warn you that much like the 5x5 you may not be able to regularly progress while in a calorie deficit. These programs are ideally designed to be run along with a calorie surplus. That being said, most novice lifters can progress in strength despite the deficit so your progression will depend on how advanced you are.
    But I won't gain weight from lifting instead of losing? I just worried since I have 30 to lose. I am not obese,by medical standards I am only 6 pounds overweight (because of my height of 5'6 I can be healthy and weigh up to 155 but I want to be on the slimmer side of healthy at 130),but I am new to weightlifting.
    You won't gain fat from lifting. You might gain some water weight initially but that's all. If you are gaining fat it is because you are not in a calorie deficit, not because you are lifting weights.

• marvinhayles
    marvinhayles Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That's an incredible transformation well done! I started at 280 now I'm 240 I still weigh 17 stone. I started lifting an cardio straight away as well as eating right I'm not really losing weight though any tips?
  • vismal
    Options
    That's an incredible transformation well done! I started at 280 now I'm 240 I still weigh 17 stone. I started lifting an cardio straight away as well as eating right I'm not really losing weight though any tips?
    "Eating right" is very vague. How many calories are you eating? The types of foods you eat will not cause weight loss if you fail to create a calorie deficit. When you aren't losing weight in the long run, you are consuming too many calories.

• bob_mck
    bob_mck Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey amazing transformation very inspiring! I'm currently at 298 started 326 and have been lifting about 3/4 months now. Any advice you could offer me regards lifting or nutrition since you have been on a similar journey.
  • MandertheDB
    MandertheDB Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I read through quite a bit of this, but not quite all 70 pages. One thing I didn't see, and please forgive me if it has been answered, or if the answer is elsewhere, I'm new and I'm trying!

Using the great info you've given us here, and trying to create the calorie deficit to lose fat and utilizing MFP, when it gives me my number of calories to reach, is that with a deficit? Or do I need to see a negative number on there to truly create the deficit?
    (this question is truly open to anyone with knowledge of MFP, since the guy has been kind enough to answer 70 pages of questions!)
    Also, is there a method to knowing exactly how much of a deficit you should have? I know you said giving it three weeks to see if there's loss, but is 500 the place to start? Or is there some formula or something like that to give a more accurate starting point and then adjust from there?
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm just beginning a similar journey as you. I have a few questions that I hope you can give me some guidance on. I'm 37, male, 6' tall. Started on Dec. 6 at 286. Have lost 28 lbs. in 2 months to get to 258. I have been using the 2 lbs. per week MFP calorie goal (Currently at 1970/day). I usually do not eat back the exercise calories. I have a long term goal to make a transformation similar to what you have and we are starting from pretty close to the same body type. I'm wanting to maintain lean mass, while cutting the fat until I am happy with where I am at and then start bulk/cut cycles. My current workouts are as follows:

Alternating 2 lifting workouts on M, W, F.

Workout 1 - Squats, Bench, Rows, Triceps and Calf Raises
    Workout 2 - Deadlifts, Lat Pull-Downs, Overhead Press, Biceps and Abs.

I usually do a 1 mile walk before my lift as a warm-up.

20 min HIIT Cardio - T, Th, Sa

Something similar to ten 100 meter sprints on track, with 100 meter walk between sprints, plus 1 warm-up and 1 cool down walking lap. Sometimes I will do a stationary bike for HIIT to mix it up.

My questions are:

1. Do you see anything you would change in what I'm currently doing that would help me long-term?
    2. What would you recommend as a starting point for my macros?
    3. When you talk about taking a maintenance break for 2 weeks, are you saying eat at maintenance and stop lifting/cardio, or just eat at maintenance and continue workouts?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!