I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    " What do you think are the top 5 things that led to your success?"
    1. Myfitnesspal of course. It wasn't until I began tracking my intake that my success really started to take off
    2. Understanding that "eating clean" is meaningless and that in order to have true life long success I had to eat foods I enjoyed (ice cream, cookies, etc) on a regular basis but in moderation
    3. Lifting heavy weights
    4. Not listening when people say "you lost enough already" or "you are getting too skinny"
    5. Learning as much about the science behind nutrition and dieting as possible. There is more pseudoscience and myths in this field then any other on earth! So much BS to cut through to find the truth.[/quote]

What/Where do you recommend reading to learn about the latest research in nutrition and weight loss?
    Thanks and amazing job!
    [/quote]Most of the sticky threads on MFP are good stating points. For more advanced reading I like Lyle McDonald's website (www.bodyrecomposition.com) and Alan Aragon's website (www.alanaragon.com)

• barzev
    barzev Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    5x5 training is a method of training that has you doing 5 sets of 5 reps for your heavy compounds like bench, squat, rows, etc. There are several programs out there. The "Ice Cream Fitness 5x5" is my favorite. Google it if you want to check it out. Stronglifts 5x5 is another.

• barzev
    barzev Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Scrntn wrote: »
    I am a female, 5'1 and 135lbs. Most of it is fat though. I am going to start following a PPL routine but am not sure how many calories I should be eating. I do need to lose fat. Should I eat at maintence, or lower? Any suggesstions for TDEE - a certain number of cals?

• sjb5577
    sjb5577 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling very frustrated! Started exercising and counting calories (1200 cal) the Monday after Easter. Not only have I not lost any weight, I've gained 2 lbs. 5'1 158. Three days a wk spin class, 2 days a week Body Pump. Drinking lots of water. What am I doing wrong?
  • vismal
    Options
    sjb5577 wrote: »
    I'm feeling very frustrated! Started exercising and counting calories (1200 cal) the Monday after Easter. Not only have I not lost any weight, I've gained 2 lbs. 5'1 158. Three days a wk spin class, 2 days a week Body Pump. Drinking lots of water. What am I doing wrong?
    I'd say there's a 0.01%chance you have a metabolic disorder that causes your body to burn very few calories per day dispute exercise, and a 99.99 % chance you are simply eating more than you think. It's extremely common, especially among beginning calorie counters. Go to the general weight loss section of the forum and read my pinned post called "calorie counting 101". It should be helpful.
  • HarrisonAR
    HarrisonAR Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What would you suggest for a female that wants to start getting into lifting weights? what program would you suggest? im 5ft3 159lbs.. 27.2% bmi 43lbs fat.. and I want to get that down!
  • spk1982
    spk1982 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to do an AMA so I thought I'd set one up here. The basics about my story are that I went from 315lbs to 195 and have been making small gains in muscles/losses to fat ever since. Ask me anything, anything at all!
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

Add me as a friend on here too!

Wow congratulations!!! Very well done! Did u not suffer with loose skin after losing so much weight?
  • spk1982
    spk1982 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Moisturize and exfoliate. It helps a little. The 2 biggest things that help with lose skin are lifting to preserve/gain lean mass, and time. My skin is almost completely recovered at this point. It is still not tight and probably never will be but the hang is virtually invisible unless I am in a push up position. So as long as I don't do push ups at the beach I'm good...lol

But you are correct, fit with loose skin looks and feels better then fat. It's also worlds healthier. With cloths on you can't notice at all!

Got the answer
  • vismal
    Options
    HarrisonAR wrote: »
    What would you suggest for a female that wants to start getting into lifting weights? what program would you suggest? im 5ft3 159lbs.. 27.2% bmi 43lbs fat.. and I want to get that down!
    The best advice for female beginning lifters, is that they should think of themselves in the same way as male beginning lifters. Both men and women should who are new to lifting should choose a proven beginners program that emphasizes heavy, compound, barbell movements. My favorite beginners program is the ICF 5x5. Stronglifts, and Starting Strength are also good choices.
  • wobarg286
    wobarg286 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! I am just starting tomorrow. I chose this over weight watchers. It's going to be a long journey!
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    @wobarg282 -- I'm following this path myself.. It's day 63.. and it works!
    I can't imagine spending money on weight watchers after using @vismal's IIFYM system.
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I see that you eat equal amounts of protein and carbs with a low fat of 80g or lower.

Would you say this ratio contributes much to your success? or doesn't it matter?

I find you an amazing inspirational person to achieve this thank you so much for posting this.
  • vismal
    Options
    xRiverX wrote: »
    I see that you eat equal amounts of protein and carbs with a low fat of 80g or lower.

Would you say this ratio contributes much to your success? or doesn't it matter?

I find you an amazing inspirational person to achieve this thank you so much for posting this.
    This isn't usually what I eat at all. During weight loss phases I usually have around 220 protein, 300 carbs, 60-70 fats. For muscle gaining phases I eat around 200 protein, 70-80 fat, and 450+ carbs. There is no ratio that is right for everyone. You should base your macro nutrient intake on your weight and your goals.

• Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Dude, biggest question I have is, how did you get rid of the pesky love handles???
  • smileyjame
    smileyjame Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow! So amazing!! I've been working out and get off track with eating sometimes. Especially with family get togethers. Any words of encouragement when I get to those times of needing self control?

Also I'm having a tough time getting my core stronger and my triceps area, I have always had flabby skin there since I was young. I really want to tone those areas more, suggestions??
  • matt88uk
    matt88uk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Jayne just eat in a deficit the fat will eventually come off you cant spot reduce fat it falls off were it wants but stick at it and it will all be off its a marathon not a sprint :)
  • matt88uk
    matt88uk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Jayne just eat in a deficit the fat will eventually come off you cant spot reduce fat it falls off were it wants but stick at it and it will all be off its a marathon not a sprint :)
  • watchursize
    watchursize Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous, thanks for sharing. I needed the motivation today.
  • morgiecook
    morgiecook Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! Wow!
  • megcorey
    megcorey Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ok so i fell off the calorie wagon missed 3 lift days nd gained like 10lbs so i got back on the wagon still have the 10lbs but when i look in the mirror i think i look smaller nd measurements havent moved much am i nuts!!! Could this be some kinda messed up diet mind f@!# of some sort?did u have these weird times
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!