Agree to Disagree and Move On...don't get hostile to posters

Options

Replies

• bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    RESEARCH PROJECT: Post a comment on social media simply asking people to be nice in posts to others.
    SUSPECTED OUTCOME: Majority of posts will be negative. Results checked after 50 posts.

OUTCOME: 14% POSITIVE COMMENTS
    68% NEGATIVE COMMENTS
    18% INDETERMINATE

Thank you for proving my point. And to all the positive posters, don't stop what you're doing. ;-)

You do realize that your opinion is what is determining the outcome.
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    A lot of people get in a tizzy when they don't get their views confirmed. I've seen people skip over perfectly good advice just to get to the advice they want to hear. My favorite threads:

OP: I can't lose weight. I eat 1500 a day. Help.

Reply 1: Are you logging EVERYTHING?
    Reply 2: You are probably overestimating your calories.
    Reply 3: You probably aren't eating enough.
    Reply 4: Are you accurate with your tracking?

OP: Thanks 3 ! Since I'm not losing weight, I'll eat more food! That makes sense!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    RESEARCH PROJECT: Post a comment on social media simply asking people to be nice in posts to others.
    SUSPECTED OUTCOME: Majority of posts will be negative. Results checked after 50 posts.

68% NEGATIVE COMMENTS
    18% INDETERMINATE

Thank you for proving my point. And to all the positive posters, don't stop what you're doing. ;-)

I'm not sure what you think your point is, as the objective listed above in no way resembles your actual post. But you seem less about facts and more about thinking you are right no matter what, so: Woooo! Yay girl! Muscle weighs more than fat! You keep doing you!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

68% NEGATIVE COMMENTS
    18% INDETERMINATE

Thank you for unfriending me (I guess months ago?).

I mean, you seemed nice, but this post is, well, not.

GLOYWLJ
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

68% NEGATIVE COMMENTS
    18% INDETERMINATE

That's an awfully small sample size. If the population is the entire internet is the population, the rule of 68 says that your sample size must be at least 68 posts (based on how many MFP users there are). Being that you cannot judge some of the responses as either positive or negative (ie, the pineapple gif) you would have to wait for 68+ determinate responses to determine whether or not your outcome was true.

TLDR; your survey skills are lacking
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    hEC99AB30
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    RESEARCH PROJECT: Post a condescending comment on social media simply asking people to be nice in posts to others.

68% NEGATIVE COMMENTS
    18% INDETERMINATE

Fixed it for you.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

68% NEGATIVE COMMENTS
    18% INDETERMINATE

K.

fry2.gif
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    A lot of people get in a tizzy when they don't get their views confirmed. I've seen people skip over perfectly good advice just to get to the advice they want to hear. My favorite threads:

OP: I can't lose weight. I eat 1500 a day. Help.

Reply 1: Are you logging EVERYTHING?
    Reply 2: You are probably overestimating your calories.
    Reply 3: You probably aren't eating enough.
    Reply 4: Are you accurate with your tracking?

OP: Thanks 3 ! Since I'm not losing weight, I'll eat more food! That makes sense!

tumblr_inline_mwef64AzM81sn1bw6.gif
  • deksgrl
    Options

68% NEGATIVE COMMENTS
    18% INDETERMINATE

That's an awfully small sample size. If the population is the entire internet is the population, the rule of 68 says that your sample size must be at least 68 posts (based on how many MFP users there are). Being that you cannot judge some of the responses as either positive or negative (ie, the pineapple gif) you would have to wait for 68+ determinate responses to determine whether or not your outcome was true.

This gif could also be counted as a pineapple gif.

giphy.gif
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

68% NEGATIVE COMMENTS
    18% INDETERMINATE

2a81d3c.jpg

IN for skewing your numbers :flowerforyou:
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    RESEARCH PROJECT: Post a condescending comment on social media simply asking people to be nice in posts to others.

68% NEGATIVE COMMENTS
    18% INDETERMINATE

Fixed it for you.

BAM!

oh wait, is that negative?
  • Forty6and2
    Options

68% NEGATIVE COMMENTS
    18% INDETERMINATE

This gif could also be counted as a pineapple gif.

giphy.gif

science.gif
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    As I said - I love gifs...

pineappledance.gif
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

68% NEGATIVE COMMENTS
    18% INDETERMINATE

So you successfully made a troll thread. Yay?
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Extra credit for pineapples and cats.

cat+wearing+pineapple.jpg
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

68% NEGATIVE COMMENTS
    18% INDETERMINATE

No.

You know how many times on this site alone I've seen someone's thread go awry and they later say they were doing research for a university assignment?

Please tell me what school you go to that is asking people out of the 7th grade for research into website forum posting patterns.

Your sample size is terrible and you poisoned the well with your initial post to begin with. If this is your idea of "research" you're terrible at it.

I'd have a little more respect for you if you could just be honest. Making up fake surveys to shame people is beyond pathetic.

Or I'm wrong and you just go to a really bad school.

exploding-pineapple-o.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

68% NEGATIVE COMMENTS
    18% INDETERMINATE

Your results have been rejected for the following reason:

Experimental design does not match stated project.

Suggested revision:

Change project statement to accurately reflect the experiment performed. Example: "Post a condescending comment directly criticizing the behavior of others and instruct them on how to act differently in the future."
  • Forty6and2
    Options
    thpineappledance.gif~c200