Where does weight go?

Options
124»

Replies

• FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Then why am I pooping and peeing so much?

/Chugs waters, munches on carrot sticks.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Could you give your question a little more context? You pee to get rid of nitrogen in the form of urea. You poop to get rid of undigestable material mixed with your natural gut flora (the bacteria that habitate your gut and are required for digestive health). Most of the mass you expend though is carbon in the form of CO2 in your breath and water also from your breath or from evaporation.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It's broken down and used for energy... basically, it becomes heat.

Waste products are excreted how they always are - exhalation (CO2), sweat, urine, feces.

It's actually E = mc^2, or in this case mass = E/c^2.

Uhm... no. We do not do nuclear conversions of mass to energy in our cells. We do chemical conversions. The mass doesn't change with energy released. The mass of CO2 and H2O waste product exactly equals the mass of of the material used up.

LOL I'd be funny if we had small nuclear reactors in our body like Iron Man.

But yeah what he said, our bodies do chemical reactions. We don't create or destroy mass since mass is conserved.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Could you give your question a little more context? You pee to get rid of nitrogen in the form of urea. You poop to get rid of undigestable material mixed with your natural gut flora (the bacteria that habitate your gut and are required for digestive health). Most of the mass you expend though is carbon in the form of CO2 in your breath and water also from your breath or from evaporation.

I was just kidding. When we get healthy we drink tons more water and likely also increase our fiber content like crazy (carrots sticks) and then are surprised by the results.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    It's broken down and used for energy... basically, it becomes heat.

Waste products are excreted how they always are - exhalation (CO2), sweat, urine, feces.

It's actually E = mc^2, or in this case mass = E/c^2.

Uhm... no. We do not do nuclear conversions of mass to energy in our cells. We do chemical conversions. The mass doesn't change with energy released. The mass of CO2 and H2O waste product exactly equals the mass of of the material used up.

Yes. Thank you. We are not nuclear reactors.

If E=mc^2 were the relevant equation, you would have to burn about a trillion calories (kcal) to lose a pound.

I got about 10 trillion kcal when I calculated it out...
    (9,752,151,050,000)...

It would take forever to lose any weight if that was the case. Lol

You're right, I missed a factor of 10 off the back of my envelope.