It should be required by federal law...

Options

Replies

• povic1705
    povic1705 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Client : " I'll have the 16oz steak, chips and cream cheese sauce please"

Waiter : " Sorry sir, the BMI detector in your chair has declared that your weight and BF% are too high and denied you that option.. you can have the cabbage soup"

That's funny. But it's fantastic in Russia at the moment.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Client : " I'll have the 16oz steak, chips and cream cheese sauce please"

Waiter : " Sorry sir, the BMI detector in your chair has declared that your weight and BF% are too high and denied you that option.. you can have the cabbage soup"

Well that would be a way to enforce it lol I love it
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    I agree, I also think that packages of stuff like a package of candy or other small package multi portion items should disclose calories for full container... say sports drinks and such they typically haveu three or so servings a bottle, why not list the calories on the front of the bottle for the entire contents, the truth is people do not always look at things have three servings in a container of personal size... maybe thats just getting over zealous, but darnit if I dont hate grabbing a small package of something and then having to count out every single piece lol being picky I know lol

Yes I do like how in Australia all packaged food states the calorie (well actually the kilojoule) content per 100g or 100 ml - does not matter how big the container is, the standard is 100mg/100ml.

I'm not sure what the law about calorie/nutritional displays are here - but all large chain places like KFC,. Mcdonalds, etc have this on display boards - smaller and non chain places do not - for all the reasons of impracticality already mentioned upthread.

I think if one is viewing this as a lifestyle change, one has to be prepared to guestimate at times - if I go out somewhere that doesn't have this information, I estimate amounts and look for generic equivalents in the data base - garlic sauce, home made, 1/2 cup, for example.

Of course it wont be accurate but, unless one eats out a huge percentage of the time, it will still work out ok in the overall averages of things.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Ignoring the realities of mandating restaurant nutritional information for one minute, if magically this information was accurate and didn't cost anything, I'm sure many of us would find this information helpful right? Heck, this website is built around the concept of counting calories.

This would be just one more source of information we could use to track our nutritional intake. So I don't understand the reactions that cite "personal responsibility" or whatever else insult to show opposition to this.

And then there's the comments that we already know that BWW is high in calories and fat so why bother with nutritional information. Many things I buy in the supermarket are considered "high calorie and fat" foods but I still want to know exactly what I'm dealing with so I can track this information. I don't see how this could be construed as not taking personal responsibility or that I should just "run before the shenanigans" and that would somehow mean I was taking personal responsibility.

For the record I couldn't find nutritional information on the BWW site and instead found it on a third party site:

http://www.nutrition-charts.com/buffalo-wild-wings-nutrition-information/

Now, of course providing nutritional information is expensive and there are issues of accuracy, enforceability, consistency, etc. And if someone were to say that mandating all restaurants to provide them would be impractical, I would agree. But it would have nothing to do with "personal responsibility" or the like.

Seriously? You need the government to mandate this for you. I just Googled BWW and nutrition information and got a ton of information in return. The information is out there - it's up to you to find it.

This has everything to do with personal responsibility. YOU make the choice to go to BWW. YOU make the choice to eat the food. YOU make the choice which items to eat and how much to eat....

If I've already indulged and my friends want to meet me at BWW for a football game, I can make the choice to say no. Or eat before I go. Or be the designated driver. That's personal responsibility.

And in regards to running before eating there, that is also personal responsibility. And healthy living. If I know I am going to consume a ton of calories, I'm going to get some exercise in. It's my responsibility to balance my exercise and eating choices and I can do it without a government mandate. So, either I'm really smart or other people are really lazy because it's just not that hard.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Ignoring the realities of mandating restaurant nutritional information for one minute, if magically this information was accurate and didn't cost anything, I'm sure many of us would find this information helpful right? Heck, this website is built around the concept of counting calories.

This would be just one more source of information we could use to track our nutritional intake. So I don't understand the reactions that cite "personal responsibility" or whatever else insult to show opposition to this.

And then there's the comments that we already know that BWW is high in calories and fat so why bother with nutritional information. Many things I buy in the supermarket are considered "high calorie and fat" foods but I still want to know exactly what I'm dealing with so I can track this information. I don't see how this could be construed as not taking personal responsibility or that I should just "run before the shenanigans" and that would somehow mean I was taking personal responsibility.

For the record I couldn't find nutritional information on the BWW site and instead found it on a third party site:

Now, of course providing nutritional information is expensive and there are issues of accuracy, enforceability, consistency, etc. And if someone were to say that mandating all restaurants to provide them would be impractical, I would agree. But it would have nothing to do with "personal responsibility" or the like.

It has everything to do with personal responsibility. I make a choice to go out to eat, I make a choice to pick the chicken fried steak smothered in sausage gravy instead of the grilled chicken with steamed vegetables. I make the choice to eat a delicious Reeses peanut butter cup sundae (which was absolutely delicious). Is the restaurant responsible for what I picked?? Is the government responsible??

No I am responsible for what I put in my mouth no one else. I could have stayed home, I could go out and make a different choice but I made those choices no one else, no one held me down and said you will eat all this yummy delicious food.

Take responsibility for the choices you make.

In that case, why should any company provide nutritional information for their packaged food that you buy in the supermarket? After all, it's your choice if you want to eat Reeses peanut butter cups and it's your responsibility to find out the nutritional information. You could get a bomb calorimeter and find the information by yourself without the manufacturer having to do it for you. After all, personal responsibility.

Like I said, I admit it would be impractical for many restaurants to provide this information, but I don't how it's a slight against someone's "personal responsibility" for wishing the information were available. And yes, consumers can avoid Reeses peanut butter cups (or whatever else) if the company didn't provide nutritional information and that would be incentive for the manufacturer to provide said information, but just preferring to have the information be available doesn't make someone magically not "personally responsible."
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the whole thread, though I commented early on. The issue is the statement at the top of this thread. "It Should be required by federal law" Voting by the pocket book motivates most businesses and allows for personal freedom and responsibility
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Have joined this conversation a bit late, but it seems like someone has been living with the fairies. What an overcomplicated mess this would create.
  • Yagisama
    Options

Seriously? You need the government to mandate this for you. I just Googled BWW and nutrition information and got a ton of information in return. The information is out there - it's up to you to find it.

This has everything to do with personal responsibility. YOU make the choice to go to BWW. YOU make the choice to eat the food. YOU make the choice which items to eat and how much to eat....

If I've already indulged and my friends want to meet me at BWW for a football game, I can make the choice to say no. Or eat before I go. Or be the designated driver. That's personal responsibility.

And in regards to running before eating there, that is also personal responsibility. And healthy living. If I know I am going to consume a ton of calories, I'm going to get some exercise in. It's my responsibility to balance my exercise and eating choices and I can do it without a government mandate. So, either I'm really smart or other people are really lazy because it's just not that hard.

I'm just going to quote myself form my earlier post:

Like I said, I found the information on a third party website which is all well and good, but I would feel a lot more confident about its accuracy if it were on the official website.

Yes, personal responsibility involves making the choice to avoid BWW or any other restaurant if it can't fit in my nutritional requirements. However, merely wishing that official nutritional information be available so that I can make better decisions doesn't make me "personally irresponsible" all of a sudden.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Expensive? it would take about 2-4 hours (depending on menu size) to sit down with a menu and go through every item and calculate the totals. Then you could print out 1 copy for each table and laminate it and it could cost less than 50 bucks.

There is no excuse not to let your customers know whats in what they are eating.

Completely in "I could be wrong" territory here, but I thought the requirement was that for nutritional facts to be listed, the item had to be analysed by a lab and within a certain margin of error, not just worked out on paper.

This. Your waiter doesn't just get to go in the back and make up the calorie counts. Any law is going to have strict requirements that involve spending money.

Also, how would this work for chains? Most chains have the same menu items but buy from different distributors? How do you know the meat or cheese in a Texas Roadhouse in Minnesota is the same as one in South Carolina?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    What this would require is that EVERY. SINGLE. RESTAURANT would require a dietician or have somebody trained - fine if you are McDonalds, an unnecessary expense for small businesses.

Anyway, is this just to deflect from irresponsibilities. Is it sour grapes off the back of getting too overweight?

Why have other nations not needed such legislation?
  • PRMinx
    Options

Like I said, I found the information on a third party website which is all well and good, but I would feel a lot more confident about its accuracy if it were on the official website.

Yes, personal responsibility involves making the choice to avoid BWW or any other restaurant if it can't fit in my nutritional requirements. However, merely wishing that official nutritional information be available so that I can make better decisions doesn't make me "personally irresponsible" all of a sudden.

You can wish all day long that the information is there - or you can go out and find it for yourself. If you can't find the information or you don't think it's reliable and you don't want to take the risk, you can make a choice to avoid BWW. That choice is your personal responsibility. It's not up to the government to make your diet easier for you to manage.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

You can wish all day long that the information is there - or you can go out and find it for yourself. If you can't find the information or you don't think it's reliable and you don't want to take the risk, you can make a choice to avoid BWW. That choice is your personal responsibility. It's not up to the government to make your diet easier for you to manage.

So...how many grams are in one BWW boneless "wing"?
  • Yagisama
    Options

Don't be silly. Of course the government should make it easier for me to manage my diet. That's why we pay taxes. It's easier for the government to pull its resources and provide this information.

Examples of the government making it easier to manage my diet:

http://www.nutrition.gov/
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/default.htm
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

That said, I don't think it would be a good idea for the government to mandate any restaurant to provide nutritional information. I think this is a self fixing problem and there is certainly a huge market for health conscious diners. Also, the OP severely underestimates the complexity and cost associated with this effort.

That said, just because I wish said information was available doesn't make me "personally irresponsible." And yes I can just avoid a restaurant that doesn't have accurate information, and that's what I do most of the time, but I would still welcome the nutritional information so I could make a better decision on whether to avoid the restaurant or not. (And yes I don't expect my wishes to come true unless I happen to make the wish when I see a falling star).
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Don't be silly. Of course the government should make it easier for me to manage my diet. That's why we pay taxes. It's easier for the government to pull its resources and provide this information.

Right. The same government that declared pizza was a vegetable. Totally reliable.

With the exception of the FDA which actually serves a decent purpose most of the time, I'd rather my taxes go to things like education, infrastructure and not getting blown up on my way to work. I'm perfectly capable of handling my own diet. Priorities and common sense, I guess.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options

Right. The same government that declared pizza was a vegetable. Totally reliable.

With the exception of the FDA which actually serves a decent purpose most of the time, I'd rather my taxes go to things like education, infrastructure and not getting blown up on my way to work. I'm perfectly capable of handling my own diet. Priorities and common sense, I guess.

You are right. Our government is completely unreliable and unresponsive to the people. So the answer is to take control of it and make it reliable and responsive. Or to abolish it. Certainly it is not to hamstring it whenever it could be put to work doing something useful while throwing up our hands in despair when it does something we don't like.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    You are right. Our government is completely unreliable and unresponsive to the people. So the answer is to take control of it and make it reliable and responsive. Or to abolish it.

Let me know how that works out for you. In the meantime, I'm pretty good at taking care of myself without big brother.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    So...how many grams are in one BWW boneless "wing"?

Anyone?

(I'm optimistic that something good could still come out of this thread...)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Man....and I thought I had stamina for long debates. I got nothing on you guys. Can't believe this thread is still topping the charts.

One side champions personal responsibility and free market enterprise. The other champions regulation and society driven interest in public health. Seems to be on repeated loop at this point.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    You are right. Our government is completely unreliable and unresponsive to the people. So the answer is to take control of it and make it reliable and responsive. Or to abolish it.

Let me know how that works out for you. In the meantime, I'm pretty good at taking care of myself without big brother.

Really? When was the last time you fought off an invading army, built your own roads, flew your own plane into your private airport, and policed your own streets?
  • PRMinx
    Options

Really? When was the last time you fought off an invading army, built your own roads, flew your own plane into your private airport, and policed your own streets?

We aren't talking about those things. We are talking about calorie counts on menus. Seems trivial now, doesn't it? Yep.