It should be required by federal law...

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Man....and I thought I had stamina for long debates. I got nothing on you guys. Can't believe this thread is still topping the charts.

One side champions personal responsibility and free market enterprise. The other champions regulation and society driven interest in public health. Seems to be on repeated loop at this point.

And that this is a microcosm of U.S. society as a whole right now is absolutely terrifying.
  • livinatthegym
    livinatthegym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    YES. Since most places don't do it try going on the web. If you cant find calorie count you can always browse the menu, see what you want to order, and figure it out as best you can before hand. I only eat out where I know the menu or if it's not my choice (get out voted by friends) I eat a larger lunch and will just order a small salad (a typical go to...i know) with balsamic vinegar
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Don't be silly. Of course the government should make it easier for me to manage my diet. That's why we pay taxes. It's easier for the government to pull its resources and provide this information.

Right. The same government that declared pizza was a vegetable. Totally reliable.

With the exception of the FDA which actually serves a decent purpose most of the time, I'd rather my taxes go to things like education, infrastructure and not getting blown up on my way to work. I'm perfectly capable of handling my own diet. Priorities and common sense, I guess.

Well that entirely depends on whether the pizza had vegetable toppings. ;)

Sure, there is a lot of room for improvement, but lets not throw out the baby with the bathwater just yet. I've been to Japanese schools and their school provided meals are not only more nutritious and of higher quality, their costs are less. There isn't any reason that we can't improve the quality of school meals in the US and we should have high enough expectations from our government for them to do so.

Anyhow I guess I could use all the help I can get because I lookup nutritional information on the FDA and USDA sites.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You are right. Our government is completely unreliable and unresponsive to the people. So the answer is to take control of it and make it reliable and responsive. Or to abolish it.

Let me know how that works out for you. In the meantime, I'm pretty good at taking care of myself without big brother.

Really? When was the last time you fought off an invading army, built your own roads, flew your own plane into your private airport, and policed your own streets?

We aren't talking about those things. We are talking about calorie counts on menus. Seems trivial now, doesn't it? Yep.

Nope. If you know your government is incompetent for little things, you sure can't trust it in its present form for the most important things.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    You are right. Our government is completely unreliable and unresponsive to the people. So the answer is to take control of it and make it reliable and responsive. Or to abolish it.

Let me know how that works out for you. In the meantime, I'm pretty good at taking care of myself without big brother.

Really? When was the last time you fought off an invading army, built your own roads, flew your own plane into your private airport, and policed your own streets?

We aren't talking about those things. We are talking about calorie counts on menus. Seems trivial now, doesn't it? Yep.

Nope. If you know your government is incompetent for little things, you sure can't trust it in its present form for the most important things.

So calorie counts on menus are of equal importance to building roads. Got it.

I'm so glad I can assume responsibility for my own diet. Wow.

Edited to add based on your last comment: I don't even know where to begin laughing at that one.
  • Jestinia
    Options

Edited to add based on your last comment: I don't even know where to begin laughing at that one.

I've noticed no one has a good comeback for that. Laughter is dismissive, but it's not debate.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I've noticed no one has a good comeback for that. Laughter is dismissive, but it's not debate.

No, no. You're right. We'll put aside our focus on all the really important stuff so that someone can hold your hand through a restaurant menu. Sounds awesome.

I'm so done with this conversation. I'm out.
  • Jestinia
    Options

No, no. You're right. We'll put aside our focus on all the really important stuff so that someone can hold your hand through a restaurant menu. Sounds awesome.

You've now covered the other two ways to avoid my logical statement that if you can't trust government to handle little things like regulating a menu, you can't trust them with guns and tanks. To ignore the statement, then flee.

Oh wait, there is a third I expect will come along any minute now.
  • Yagisama
    Options

That's because it's a strawman argument. No one said "counting calories" was of equal importance to building roads. Even if you tried to make some kind of equivalency it would be "providing a comprehensive nutrition profile" instead of merely counting calories.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Ignoring the realities of mandating restaurant nutritional information for one minute, if magically this information was accurate and didn't cost anything, I'm sure many of us would find this information helpful right? Heck, this website is built around the concept of counting calories.

This would be just one more source of information we could use to track our nutritional intake. So I don't understand the reactions that cite "personal responsibility" or whatever else insult to show opposition to this.

And then there's the comments that we already know that BWW is high in calories and fat so why bother with nutritional information. Many things I buy in the supermarket are considered "high calorie and fat" foods but I still want to know exactly what I'm dealing with so I can track this information. I don't see how this could be construed as not taking personal responsibility or that I should just "run before the shenanigans" and that would somehow mean I was taking personal responsibility.

For the record I couldn't find nutritional information on the BWW site and instead found it on a third party site:

http://www.nutrition-charts.com/buffalo-wild-wings-nutrition-information/

Now, of course providing nutritional information is expensive and there are issues of accuracy, enforceability, consistency, etc. And if someone were to say that mandating all restaurants to provide them would be impractical, I would agree. But it would have nothing to do with "personal responsibility" or the like.

Seriously? You need the government to mandate this for you. I just Googled BWW and nutrition information and got a ton of information in return. The information is out there - it's up to you to find it.

This has everything to do with personal responsibility. YOU make the choice to go to BWW. YOU make the choice to eat the food. YOU make the choice which items to eat and how much to eat....

If I've already indulged and my friends want to meet me at BWW for a football game, I can make the choice to say no. Or eat before I go. Or be the designated driver. That's personal responsibility.

And in regards to running before eating there, that is also personal responsibility. And healthy living. If I know I am going to consume a ton of calories, I'm going to get some exercise in. It's my responsibility to balance my exercise and eating choices and I can do it without a government mandate. So, either I'm really smart or other people are really lazy because it's just not that hard.

I'm just going to quote myself form my earlier post:

For the record I couldn't find nutritional information on the BWW site and instead found it on a third party site:

Like I said, I found the information on a third party website which is all well and good, but I would feel a lot more confident about its accuracy if it were on the official website.

Yes, personal responsibility involves making the choice to avoid BWW or any other restaurant if it can't fit in my nutritional requirements. However, merely wishing that official nutritional information be available so that I can make better decisions doesn't make me "personally irresponsible" all of a sudden.

You can wish all day long that the information is there - or you can go out and find it for yourself. If you can't find the information or you don't think it's reliable and you don't want to take the risk, you can make a choice to avoid BWW. That choice is your personal responsibility. It's not up to the government to make your diet easier for you to manage.

So...how many grams are in one BWW boneless "wing"?

This is all I could find:

Boneless Wings
    F
    Grade
    Calories
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 wing, bone removed (4 g)
    Per Serving % Daily Value*
    Calories 88
    Calories from Fat 54
    Total Fat 6g 9%
    Saturated Fat 2g 10%
    Cholesterol 21mg 7%
    Sodium 178mg 7%
    Carbohydrates 3g 1%
    Protein 5g

Read more: Calories in Buffalo Wild Wings - Boneless Wings | Nutrition and Health http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-buffalo-wild-boneless-wings-i297621#ixzz3134Bvu2u
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Don't be silly. Of course the government should make it easier for me to manage my diet. That's why we pay taxes. It's easier for the government to pull its resources and provide this information.

Right. The same government that declared pizza was a vegetable. Totally reliable.

With the exception of the FDA which actually serves a decent purpose most of the time, I'd rather my taxes go to things like education, infrastructure and not getting blown up on my way to work. I'm perfectly capable of handling my own diet. Priorities and common sense, I guess.

Sure, there is a lot of room for improvement, but lets not throw out the baby with the bathwater just yet. I've been to Japanese schools and their school provided meals are not only more nutritious and of higher quality, their costs are less. There isn't any reason that we can't improve the quality of school meals in the US and we should have high enough expectations from our government for them to do so.

Anyhow I guess I could use all the help I can get because I lookup nutritional information on the FDA and USDA sites.

The *actual* cost is less or just the cost to the end consumer? Because there is a difference.

(Disclaimer: I don't actually know if their all-in cost is higher or lower...but I suspect neither do you. In fact, it's likely nearly impossible to factor in all costs of something like this...because subsidies, price pressure, soft costs, etc. Also, on a seemingly unrelated and yet totally relevant point, there is no such thing as *free* healthcare either.)
  • KayandBelle
    KayandBelle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think it fair to burden small mom and pop restaurants with more regulation so No, I don't think it should be mandated. If someone wants to track calories that closely as well as nutrition, just don't eat out. It's healthier anyways. Besides, how would you know even if they did post labels that it wasn't made with extra oil, etc.. There is no freaking way. The safest food comes from your own kitchen. :drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Ignoring the realities of mandating restaurant nutritional information for one minute, if magically this information was accurate and didn't cost anything, I'm sure many of us would find this information helpful right? Heck, this website is built around the concept of counting calories.

This would be just one more source of information we could use to track our nutritional intake. So I don't understand the reactions that cite "personal responsibility" or whatever else insult to show opposition to this.

And then there's the comments that we already know that BWW is high in calories and fat so why bother with nutritional information. Many things I buy in the supermarket are considered "high calorie and fat" foods but I still want to know exactly what I'm dealing with so I can track this information. I don't see how this could be construed as not taking personal responsibility or that I should just "run before the shenanigans" and that would somehow mean I was taking personal responsibility.

Now, of course providing nutritional information is expensive and there are issues of accuracy, enforceability, consistency, etc. And if someone were to say that mandating all restaurants to provide them would be impractical, I would agree. But it would have nothing to do with "personal responsibility" or the like.

Seriously? You need the government to mandate this for you. I just Googled BWW and nutrition information and got a ton of information in return. The information is out there - it's up to you to find it.

This has everything to do with personal responsibility. YOU make the choice to go to BWW. YOU make the choice to eat the food. YOU make the choice which items to eat and how much to eat....

If I've already indulged and my friends want to meet me at BWW for a football game, I can make the choice to say no. Or eat before I go. Or be the designated driver. That's personal responsibility.

And in regards to running before eating there, that is also personal responsibility. And healthy living. If I know I am going to consume a ton of calories, I'm going to get some exercise in. It's my responsibility to balance my exercise and eating choices and I can do it without a government mandate. So, either I'm really smart or other people are really lazy because it's just not that hard.

Like I said, I found the information on a third party website which is all well and good, but I would feel a lot more confident about its accuracy if it were on the official website.

Yes, personal responsibility involves making the choice to avoid BWW or any other restaurant if it can't fit in my nutritional requirements. However, merely wishing that official nutritional information be available so that I can make better decisions doesn't make me "personally irresponsible" all of a sudden.

You can wish all day long that the information is there - or you can go out and find it for yourself. If you can't find the information or you don't think it's reliable and you don't want to take the risk, you can make a choice to avoid BWW. That choice is your personal responsibility. It's not up to the government to make your diet easier for you to manage.

Boneless Wings
    F
    Grade
    Calories
    Nutrition Facts
    Calories 88
    Calories from Fat 54
    Total Fat 6g 9%
    Saturated Fat 2g 10%
    Cholesterol 21mg 7%
    Sodium 178mg 7%
    Carbohydrates 3g 1%
    Protein 5g

Read more: Calories in Buffalo Wild Wings - Boneless Wings | Nutrition and Health http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-buffalo-wild-boneless-wings-i297621#ixzz3134Bvu2u

Yeah, I found that too (in my hours of searching)...and it's laughable. If "wing" is 4g, then the boneless wings (that seem to run an average of 45-55g each, but 20-95g are not uncommon) would be 900+ calories...each.

Surely the answer to my question exists somewhere out there...and I will not rest until I have found it.

But first, a nap.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    ...To have printed "Nutrition Facts" for every menu item in every restaurant in the country. It should be required to have it available either in print, at the front of the restaurant, or online for anyone to read. Does anyone else get as frustrated as I do when they go out to eat?

I dont know about required, but I feel like this might increase sales. I dont go ANYWHERE, unless its my cheat meal, without the nutrition guide listed.
  • Yagisama
    Options

The *actual* cost is less or just the cost to the end consumer? Because there is a difference.

(Disclaimer: I don't actually know if their all-in cost is higher or lower...but I suspect neither do you. In fact, it's likely nearly impossible to factor in all costs of something like this...because subsidies, price pressure, soft costs, etc. Also, on a seemingly unrelated and yet totally relevant point, there is no such thing as *free* healthcare either.)

The actual cost is less. This is what I have been told and do not have any way to verify. It's more or less family style meals and the kids serve themselves and clean up after themselves. The meals that I've seen are pretty much made in one giant pot with side dishes provided.

This is ignoring subsidies which are HUGE in some parts of Japanese agriculture (especially rice).
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Boneless Wings
    F
    Grade
    Calories
    Nutrition Facts
    Calories 88
    Calories from Fat 54
    Total Fat 6g 9%
    Saturated Fat 2g 10%
    Cholesterol 21mg 7%
    Sodium 178mg 7%
    Carbohydrates 3g 1%
    Protein 5g

Yeah, I found that too (in my hours of searching)...and it's laughable. If "wing" is 4g, then the boneless wings (that seem to run an average of 45-55g each, but 20-95g are not uncommon) would be 900+ calories...each.

Surely the answer to my question exists somewhere out there...and I will not rest until I have found it.

But first, a nap.

Well I wasted about 5 minutes, hope you enjoy those 900 calorie per wing and enjoy the nap!
  • Yagisama
    Options
    Even 55 grams of lard would "only" be ~500 calories. :wink:
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Jumping in way late here -- I never thought this would spark so much controversy.

I think it would be nice to know the nutritional component of dining out food, but I think that's probably only practicable in most box places. And by that, I mean places where things are served very consistently in portion size and the menu doesn't change that often -- fast food and big name chain restaurants. And, for many in my area, the nutritional information is available -- either online or some print it out of the menu itself. You always have to keep in mind a margin of error as they've shown some of the calorie counts to be off as much as 20% with what is actually served.

But, for places that don't serve food this way -- I'm thinking more high-end dining -- it's just not practicable because they change their menus so often and aren't dealing with prepackaged food nearly as much, if at all. So, you've just got to eyeball it at that point. Though the upside of high-end dining is that they're more likely to use whole foods and stay away from processed foods with empty calories and extra chemicals and their portion sizes are likely to be much smaller -- probably more appropriate for the most part anyway.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Boneless Wings
    F
    Grade
    Calories
    Nutrition Facts
    Calories 88
    Calories from Fat 54
    Total Fat 6g 9%
    Saturated Fat 2g 10%
    Cholesterol 21mg 7%
    Sodium 178mg 7%
    Carbohydrates 3g 1%
    Protein 5g

But first, a nap.

Well I wasted about 5 minutes, hope you enjoy those 900 calorie per wing and enjoy the nap!

You were smarter than I as I have spent at least 180 minutes searching for this elusive answer.

And instead of a nap, I had a steak in an upscale restaurant so I have no idea how to log it...except for my years of experience weighing and measuring so I logged it as best I could and moved on.

However, I will *not* be moving on from my BWW boneless chicken question, because this information *should* be available out there. Someone knows the answer...and it's up to me to find them and make them talk.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    We definitely need more government oversight in our lives and mandates that are enforced at gunpoint.

Surely not at gunpoint, they should mandate the ownership of all those as well O_o