I want to cut gluten...

Options
BUT IM SCARED!! its in everything... Im not a pasta eater, but i am all about special k cereal and protein bars to keep me going during the day.

Ive already cut most, but not ALL, the sugar in my life, but gluten too??!!

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to cut out gluten, and why did you cut out sugar?
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Do you have coeliacs and diabetes? If the answer is no, you dont' need to cut either.

Gluten is just a protein. Unless your body doesn't produce the enzyme to break it down, there's no reason to jump on the fad bandwagon by eliminating it from your diet.

If the answers were yes, continue on.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Is it because you have special health concerns? Or have you just been dragged into the "gluten-free" fad?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    BUT IM SCARED!! its in everything... Im not a pasta eater, but i am all about special k cereal and protein bars to keep me going during the day.

Ive already cut most, but not ALL, the sugar in my life, but gluten too??!!

Do you have celiac?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    The avoid gluten fad makes about as much sense as a fad to avoid peanuts because some people are deathly allergic to peanuts.

If you have celiac then yeah you should avoid gluten, if you don't have celiac then you shouldn't worry about it.
  • kimiejo76
    kimiejo76 Posts: 24
    Options
    When I eat I get extremely bloated, like I look 6 months pregnant. Today, for lunch, i ate a grilled chicken and roasted red peppers wrap. instant pregnancy look. So... not trying to jump on any band wagon, im trying to figure out what my digestive issues are from.

and i cut sugar because i was seriously addicted to sugar. Like twinkies and mountain dew for breakfast addicted.....
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    When I eat I get extremely bloated, like I look 6 months pregnant. Today, for lunch, i ate a grilled chicken and roasted red peppers wrap. instant pregnancy look. So... not trying to jump on any band wagon, im trying to figure out what my digestive issues are from.

and i cut sugar because i was seriously addicted to sugar. Like twinkies and mountain dew for breakfast addicted.....

Have you gone to your doctor and been tested for Celiac? It is more common in women and can manifest later in life. My mother was diagnosed with it in her 50s and her symptoms were bloating and discomfort when eating gluten containing foods.
  • kimiejo76
    Options
    :*(... later in life! hahaha, no, i havent. i just figured id cut it myself and see if i feel better.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

I do not really believe in sugar addictions however, Special K cereal and protein bars contain sugar so I'm not sure you truly cut out sugar as much as you think you have.

Roasted red peppers? To be blunt, could it have been gas? Have you consulted your doctor? I'm just not sure why the rush to cut gluten when you are still eating the Special K cereal and protein bars. Those aren't the best choices in healthy if that's what you are after.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    :*(... later in life! hahaha, no, i havent. i just figured id cut it myself and see if i feel better.

I meant not everyone is born with it manifested, didn't mean you looked 50 :-P

But seriously it sounds to me like right now you are just guessing and you probably shouldn't make such a drastic dietary restriction based on a guess. You can get tested for that, if you don't have celiac then gluten isn't the issue.
  • kimiejo76
    Options
    i didnt say i cut all sugar, i cant go cold turkey, ill get the shakes. and it happens when i eat anything that has a wheat product. I can eat grilled chicken alone, no problem. I can eat red peppers alone, no problem. Add the wrap, ughhhhhhhh.

frequent abdominal bloating and pain is a symptom of celiacs.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    frequent abdominal bloating and pain is a symptom of celiacs.

It is. Its a symptom of a lot of things. Just saying there is an actual medical test for celiacs that can determine 100% whether or not you have it. Before you go into a rather severe dietary restriction you should probably have the test, might save you the trouble.
  • kimiejo76
    Options
    thank u for the replies!
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Celiac's is rare. Gluten sensitivity is not the same thing as Celiac's.

Talk to your doctor.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to give yourself some ailment. If you have a real problem go and see a doctor.
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Back in 2008, I started gaining a lot of weight, my skin was a mess, my immune system was a mess, I felt nauseated all the time, and I was having severe IBS. Finally, after talking with some friends about gluten sensitivity, I cut out gluten entirely in early 2009. I have never gone back. I immediately lost 20 lbs (water weight), my skin cleared up, I have normal movements, and I stopped getting sick all the time. I was tested in the summer of 2009 (after about 6 mo gluten free) - endoscopy - and my GI doc found some damage to my small intestine, but not enough to determine "celiac." So there are lots of variations of gluten sensitivities, intolerance, and outright celiac.
    In the event I am "gluten-ed" through being sloppy at a restaurant or something like that, I get similar symptoms - my joints ache, my stomach gets upset, etc.
    Now, on to the part you're scared about - it is SO worth it! For your first month or so, try to focus on not buying the substitutes (gluten free waffles, breads, cereals, etc.) I would suggest you stick with naturally gluten-free foods, like rice, quinoa, potatoes, and of course lots of veggies, fruits, and proteins. Be cautious about hidden wheat - soy sauce, salad dressings, soups, anything that might have a thickener in it. (You can easily find "safe" versions of these products.)
    It will gradually get easier, and now there are a ton of "substitute" products available at virtually all major grocery stores here in the US. So when you want to add back in bread or cereal or granola bars, find some good ones that work for you. I like Udi's brand, Amy's Organic Kitchen, and some of the Van's products. Some of the rice breads suck, so don't judge all gluten-free products based on one bad one. We even have some dedicated GF bakeries right here in town!
    Do what's right for you - and good luck!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Talk to your doctor.

Celiac is NOT rare.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I cut it recently due to an increase in long term IBS issues OP. Get tested first -

seriously unless you actually do need to cut it from your diet its a giant pain in the a**. Once you actually start scanning labels you will realise it's in practically everything processed. Makes food choices a complete frickin nightmare. Also gluten free alternatives are way more expensive & the bread for instance tastes like crap. Why put yourself through it unless its medically deemed necessary?
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

Talk to your doctor.

Celiac is NOT rare.

Less than 1% of the global population is not rare?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Talk to your doctor.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22850429

Prevalence of about 1 in 140 which would imply 2 million in the US. It happens to be underdiagnosed but not rare.