I want to cut gluten...

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Celiac's is rare. Gluten sensitivity is not the same thing as Celiac's.

Talk to your doctor.

Celiac is NOT rare.

Less than 1% of the global population is not rare?

No, that is not particularly rare in terms of diseases.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

LOL nice.......

No, that is not particularly rare in terms of diseases.

I stand corrected.
  • kimiejo76
    kimiejo76 Posts: 24
    Options
    Some of the replies are so helpful, thank you to the people who replied kindly, since i am trying to figure out why i am in pain and bloated. I didnt realize people were so passionate about gluten.

I am ok checking labels, since I did it when my daughter was an infant and she was DIAGNOSED with being allergic to dairy. yes... at a dr. BUT, before the drs could figure out what her issues were from (eczema, reflux, painful, bloated abdomin) i cut dairy out of my diet.. and her symptoms went away. drs dont always know best, WE know best because i am living in my body. Ill try to cut it for 2 weeks, 1 week to clear it out of my system and 1 week to see how i am without it. If it helps, great, if it doesnt, ill go back to eating it. Not a biggie.

so... there goes my Blue moons.... wahhhhhhhhh, is there wheat in vodka? hahahaha
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free because I have Crohn's disease and insulin resistance. I'm not sure why people say it's hard to be gluten free because it's not. It's only hard for those who eat a lot of processed foods.

I eat the same thing for breakfast every morning…. Bob's Red Mill gluten free steel cut oats with gluten free flax seeds.

For a morning snack, I usually have a banana.

For lunch, I have 4-6 oz. of meat, brown rice, sweet potato, or white potato, and veggies.

For afternoon snacks, I usually have a Kind bar because they are gluten free.

For dinner, 4-6 oz. of meat, brown rice, sweet potato, or white potato, and veggies.

I don't eat cake, cupcakes, cookies, brownies, pasta, muffins, etc. so for me, it's not a problem. I still eat gluten free pretzels and crackers. My favorite brand is Glutino. I love Nature's Promise organic gluten free popcorn. Other snacks for me include nuts, fruits, and veggies with greek yogurt dip. If I do want a treat, I go to a local gluten free/dairy free/soy protein free/egg free/nut free/non GMO bakery and freeze whatever I buy. I currently have gluten free multigrain bread and vanilla poundcake in my freezer.

I RARELY eat out unless I am traveling. When I do eat out, (which is once in a blue moon), I order off of the gluten free menu. Obviously when you eat out at a restaurant, there is the possibility of cross-contaimination so keep that in mind.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    If you truly think you have Celiac Disease, it is important to get the blood test and intestinal biopsy while still eating gluten.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I'm gluten free because I have Crohn's disease and insulin resistance. I'm not sure why people say it's hard to be gluten free because it's not. It's only hard for those who eat a lot of processed foods.

I eat the same thing for breakfast every morning…. Bob's Red Mill gluten free steel cut oats with gluten free flax seeds.

For lunch, I have 4-6 oz. of meat, brown rice, sweet potato, or white potato, and veggies.

For dinner, 4-6 oz. of meat, brown rice, sweet potato, or white potato, and veggies.

I don't eat cake, cupcakes, cookies, brownies, pasta, muffins, etc. so for me, it's not a problem. I still eat gluten free pretzels and crackers. My favorite brand is Glutino. I love Nature's Promise organic gluten free popcorn. Other snacks for me include nuts, fruits, and veggies with greek yogurt dip. If I do want a treat, I go to a local gluten free/dairy free/soy protein free/egg free/nut free/non GMO bakery and freeze whatever I buy. I currently have gluten free multigrain bread and vanilla poundcake in my freezer.

I RARELY eat out unless I am traveling. When I do eat out, (which is once in a blue moon), I order off of the gluten free menu. Obviously when you eat out at a restaurant, there is the possibility of cross-contaimination so keep that in mind.

No offense but you state that you can't understand why people think its hard to avoid gluten and then proceed to describe an incredibly regimented diet that does not involve eating out except for at places that offer gluten free menus.

Some people might legitimately consider that a heavy restriction.

If you have Chrons or Celiac and it becomes required for you to do it for your health then its understandable but I see no reason why you would do such a thing on a whim and a suspicion.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    If you truly think you have Celiac Disease, it is important to get the blood test and intestinal biopsy while still eating gluten.

Yes, OP, you should get tested for Celiac. It's a simple blood test.

DO NOT STOP EATING GLUTEN BEFORE GETTING BLOOD WORK. If you stop eating gluten before test, you will test negative.
  • kimiejo76
    kimiejo76 Posts: 24
    Options
    Im not getting tested. Just cutting it out for 2 weeks. if it works and i feel better, adios gluten. If it doesnt, hello gluten. Not eating gluten isnt a big deal, there are other things to eat and it will help me not eat junk, since gluten makes up all junk food.
  • Renneke
    Renneke Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    :*(... later in life! hahaha, no, i havent. i just figured id cut it myself and see if i feel better.
    I was diagnosed with Celiac and I don't see how a self-imposed elimination diet can help if you do have Celiac, because the cross contamination issues are so hard to deal with. I was sick for a good four months after being diagnosed, and I was sure there was no gluten in my diet. (I was wrong). I really do recommend going to the doctor.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

No offense but you state that you can't understand why people think its hard to avoid gluten and then proceed to describe an incredibly regimented diet that does not involve eating out except for at places that offer gluten free menus.

Some people might legitimately consider that a heavy restriction.

I do not believe my diet is regimented. I simply eat healthy and avoid processed foods as much as I can, with the exception of gluten free pretzels, crackers, and popcorn.

A gluten free diet is totally do-able. It just requires a lot of meal prep and research to know what ingredients to watch out for when looking at food labels.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Im not getting tested. Just cutting it out for 2 weeks. if it works and i feel better, adios gluten. If it doesnt, hello gluten. Not eating gluten isnt a big deal, there are other things to eat and it will help me not eat junk, since gluten makes up all junk food.

I really don't understand why you wouldn't get tested, its a totally simple blood test. But alright sounds like you've made up your mind, good luck.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    frequent abdominal bloating and pain is a symptom of celiacs.

It is. Its a symptom of a lot of things. Just saying there is an actual medical test for celiacs that can determine 100% whether or not you have it. Before you go into a rather severe dietary restriction you should probably have the test, might save you the trouble.
    Not only that, if you cut gluten out, then it's impossible to test for celiacs or gluten sensitivity. Better to get tested first.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I eat the same thing for breakfast every morning
    I do not believe my diet is regimented.

"reg·i·ment·ed
    /ˈrejəˌmentid/

adjective

very strictly organized or controlled."

Maybe a little bit regimented?

Its not a bad thing and for someone with Crohns's its pretty much necessary but you do have a regimented diet. Not everyone can describe what they eat by just listing off a few things and a few exceptions. I couldn't tell you what I eat in a week in a paragraph. Its good you can do it and not feel restricted that's really good but you can't just assume it would be easy for anyone.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Loaded question with responses all over the board.
    Talking from experience, cut it out completely for two weeks.
    And see how you feel, period. If you feel much better you have your answer.
    No need for discussion. Your stomach bloating and digestion issues will disappear if you have issues with gluten.
    If you decide to try this I would like to hear how it goes for you.
    Changed my life, feel so much better.
    Still eat a little at times but I know right away when to stay away from it.
    Friend request me if you would like.
    Good luck.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

You must not be too concerned and the symptoms you are experiencing must not be THAT bad if you are so reluctant about having a simple blood test performed……
  • lolosensan
    lolosensan Posts: 251
    Options
    "talk to your doctor" :laugh: . Why, so you can get put on peptobismol? Why don't you just cut out gluten for 6 weeks and see if the bloating goes away? I'm sure you'll feel 100% better. People on this site are so anti-fad that they've created their own fad which is being anti-GF fad. Going gluten free for many people feels amazing celiacs, sensitivity, or whatEVER. Just try it out. What can it hurt?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Did gluten mess with your money or insult your momma?
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

:huh:

It seems like you're not really interested in finding out if you have a problem since a two week restriction isn't going to tell you anything.

But good luck.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

I eat the same thing for breakfast every morning
    I do not believe my diet is regimented.

"reg·i·ment·ed
    /ˈrejəˌmentid/

adjective

very strictly organized or controlled."

Maybe a little bit regimented?

Many people eat the same thing for breakfast every day. Oatmeal is easy to make and because I have Crohn's, I have to keep my diet very plain in order to be in the least amount of pain.