up 6 pounds in 2 weeks...what could it be ?

Options
1235»

Replies

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm not perfect I learned something new today. From weight watchers-

"Q:Does muscle really weigh more than fat?

Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories.

But back to your question. If you only have a small amount of weight to lose, then you may feel like the weight training is not helping you move down on the scale. In fact, the number may even go up, but you will look thinner. This is due to an increase in lean body mass (muscle, bone, blood volume) and a decrease in body fat. In other words, even if the scale doesn't change much, you will probably see a difference in how your clothes fit.

On the other hand, if you have a lot of weight to lose, you will also experience an increase in lean body mass and loss of body fat. But the results on the scale will probably be more dramatic."

Well, half of the facepalm gets removed for the realization that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat but half the facepalm remains from the idea that you are going to be gaining muscle mass while at caloric deficit.

Truth is you don't put on muscle when you are at a large caloric deficit. Not only that muscle gain even in optimal conditions is a very slow and tedious process resulting in maybe 10 pounds of gain in a year if you are lucky. Over the time scales we are talking and the fact the OP is at caloric deficit rest assured there is no weight change due to muscle going on here.

Ok that makes sense, thanks for helping me understand that.
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer to your concern. But as far as my observation goes on myself and some people I know of, our weight can dip to the lowest point some time after a restricting period of eating/exercisting but then it goes back up right away. Were you at 138 for quite some time or just that day or a few days around it?

I have been at 138-139 or 140 for over a year and again I always eat the same portions and exercise the same....thanks
    you are male and weigh 140? I hope you are very short!! I thought you have cheat days? Then you don't always eat the same.

Im about 5'8" or 5'7" tall...I am lean from running...I do have a cheat day but AGAIN its the same cheat day every week,,I eat the same foods on my cheat day too
  • retropactum
    retropactum Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Quit trying to turn this into a fight because I dont agree with an opinion...AGAIN for 4 yrs ive eaten the same things, same proportions, exercised the same...mixed it up etc...my weight has ALWAYS been stable....now in one week im up almost 6 pounds...now why this week is it water and ive done nothing different.....

Have you been in maintenance for 4 years?

From my understand, as you lose, you need to recalculate your caloric necessities and macronutrients. I will go as far as to say you may have jacked up your metabolism considering a grown man at 140 lb and 5'7" maintenance (TDEE) with a moderately active lifestyle should be consuming around 2100 cals, per the popular Scooby Workshop calc. I think you need to reassess your goals.

{Edited for my own lack of sense and spelling, lol}
  • cvcman
    Options
    Quit trying to turn this into a fight because I dont agree with an opinion...AGAIN for 4 yrs ive eaten the same things, same proportions, exercised the same...mixed it up etc...my weight has ALWAYS been stable....now in one week im up almost 6 pounds...now why this week is it water and ive done nothing different.....

From my understand, as you lose, you need to recalculate your caloric necessities and macronutrients. I will go as far as to say you may have jacked up your metabolism considering a grown man at 140 lb and 5'7" maintenance (TDEE) with a moderately active lifestyle should be consuming around 2100 cals, per the popular Scooby Workshop calc. I think you need to reassess your goals.

well...ive played the "eat more" game before...it doesnt work....i gain weight...the "starvation mode" is bs if you ask any qualified medical peson they will tell you....I changed my goals on here....thank you
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options

well...ive played the "eat more" game before...it doesnt work....i gain weight...the "starvation mode" is bs if you ask any qualified medical peson they will tell you....I changed my goals on here....thank you

Don't know what medical professionals you are speaking to but starvation mode is most definitely not BS! Research leptin and re-feeds.

Had a look at your diary though and no idea why you may have put on weight. Looks all good to me. Give it a week or so, see if it balances out.
  • cvcman
    Options

Don't know what medical professionals you are speaking to but starvation mode is most definitely not BS! Research leptin and re-feeds.

Had a look at your diary though and no idea why you may have put on weight. Looks all good to me. Give it a week or so, see if it balances out.

Rodduz...read this for one http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Don't know what medical professionals you are speaking to but starvation mode is most definitely not BS!

As far as it concerns the vast majority of MPF users, YES it is.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    How about because you are 4 years older than you were and our older bodies do things differently?? Joints and bones are more tender and require more water to aid in healing.....
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Starvation mode is real, as in the Minnesota Starvation Experiment from years ago, and currently with people who are emaciated with the loss of body fat and muscle and a certain percentage of body weight, but it IS BS as used in the context of the general weight loss journey.

The OP may not be not eating enough based on his gender, height, weight, and activity level, or he could be underestimating his food intake and eating more than he thinks, but he's not in starvation mode.

By the way, a few posts up, he said he concluded it was indeed water retention because the extra weight came off. Water retention is pretty normal, and weight naturally fluctuates anyway.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    huh I was at 141 this morning so down 3 pounds...must be water weight,,,,why didnt you guys say so :)

hahaha! Good for you! You figured it out :)
  • cvcman
    Options
    How about because you are 4 years older than you were and our older bodies do things differently?? Joints and bones are more tender and require more water to aid in healing.....

Humm ok...so it just changes all in one week...right :)
  • cvcman
    Options

Starvation mode is real, as in the Minnesota Starvation Experiment from years ago, and currently with people who are emaciated with the loss of body fat and muscle and a certain percentage of body weight, but it IS BS as used in the context of the general weight loss journey.

The OP may not be not eating enough based on his gender, height, weight, and activity level, or he could be underestimating his food intake and eating more than he thinks, but he's not in starvation mode.

By the way, a few posts up, he said he concluded it was indeed water retention because the extra weight came off. Water

retention is pretty normal, and weight naturally fluctuates anyway.

im assuming it was or else i dropped 5 pounds in 3 days some other way
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Humm ok...so it just changes all in one week...right :)

You did say that you introduced more HIIT recently. I know you also said that the last time you did that you didn't gain water weight but your body is different today than the last time and it may have stressed more this time than the last time. I think it's a valid observation that your body will react differently based on age.