Low carbs diet !

Options
124»

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I see that a lot of people don't like my post! But it's correct. There have been many documented cases of people who did Atkins for several years going into kidney failure. And I personally know a guy who got diverticulitis from Atkins. He went septic and everything, was hospitalized for a week, it was really nasty. I'm not misinformed.
    You don't have to restrict carbs at all (and shouldn't) if you exercise a lot. I love that I can exercise hard every day and burn tons of calories and get to eat pretty much whatever I want as long as the calories fit, still hit my calorie goal, and lose weight!

Plus, low carb diets are VERY hard on your kidneys and digestive system. You can get kidney failure and diverticulitis from them.

This is total misinformation. It is actually high protien diets that hard on your kidneys and digestive system. Low carb diets are low carb/*medium* protien/high fat.

Some studies would be useful - also as sad as it is for the person you know, it is likely he was not following the diet correctly, or already had a kidney issue they may have been unaware of.

Most ketogenic - low carb diets are not based on high protein, they are based on high fat. Some people mistake the diet for high protein and if they already have an underlining kidney issue it can exacerbate the issue.

But in healthy kidneys I have not seen any studies to conclude a high protein intake causes issues!