My PT doesn't believe in heavy lifting for women

124»

Replies

• jeschauvin
    jeschauvin Posts: 20
    My first thought is to leave her and do it now.

I understand you may feel like you shouldn't speak up and say how you'd like to be trained since she is the "expert". But if you are paying this woman to perform a service and she is not performing the way you want her to then you need to get out now. Why would you waste your money if you can get better help else where.

Yes, there are times when I'm lifting 5 lb dumbells but that is in a circuit after I've done shoulder presses with the bar then lateral raises. I just can't imagine how you're going to build muscle if you never progress to heavier weights.
  • LividMuffin
    LividMuffin Posts: 47 Member
    What about switching it up? Your PT pays you to educate her? :D Seems like you already know more than she does...
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Simple .. change trainers.

Lifting heavy is all fine ... and gaining muscle as a result is all good. I agree .. doing a zillion reps at low weights is a waste of time if that is all you are doing. Might help your endurance, but there are probably better uses of your time than that. Besides .. PT's are expensive and you deserve to get more.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    To OP- Fire that trainer. Look at my pic..I do powerlifting and have competed in squats, deadlifts and bench..and for conditioning(I do kettlebells) i just lift them faster! Lol!

I do not look bulky. Instead i got the curves I was brainwashed into fighting against, and trying to retain the figure of a prepubescent girl. Did I get "bigger". Yes, some of us will..but not in a bad way. And when you can deadlift (I am telling you that is a miracle movement) the weight of the man next to you..it's empowering and it was that moment when I could care two toothpicks what some trainers say about women lifting heavy weights.

Is your personal trainer a Tracey Anderson disciple or something? Defiantely get rid of that trainer. It is your money. Lift weights. Lift heavy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    I find I get along better with male PTs...they don't seem nearly so scared of having women lift heavy. Just my experience though.

ETA: Also, agreed with everyone else. Either find a new trainer, or start watching YouTube and getting help on the forums to teach yourself how to lift.
    Actually lot of female PT's I've worked with don't believe in heavy lifting at all. And most of the male PT's I've worked with encourage lifting heavy. So you're not alone in thought.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    working with my trainer this AM and reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women - I told her I was interested in getting into heavy lifting as I have seen some great results frm ladies on MFP. She feels that heavy lifting will not get me the longated/buffed muscles but rather bulky - which I proclaimed that its not possible for women. I think I should be pushing myself hard and not lifting 5lbs dumbells 15x over - I feel like I am just going through the motion. Ladies with success out there what are your thoughts? What has worked for you. My goal is to reduce body fat and basically a body recomp - not really concerend about the # on the scale!

Lifting and a calorie deficit has worked for me.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BusyRaeNOTBusty/view/new-progress-pictures-651494
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    I think it's a sad commentary on the business when there are trainers out there that won't nut up and tell a client that what they are comfortable teaching doesn't fit the client's goals and then possibly refer them to someone else. Holy run-on sentence, Batman!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    I think it's a sad commentary on the business when there are trainers out there that won't nut up and tell a client that what they are comfortable teaching doesn't fit the client's goals and then possibly refer them to someone else. Holy run-on sentence, Batman!
    All trainers have their own philosophies (I've debated many times with my peers on subject matters) and you're right. They should be honest. If a female asked me to train her so she could look like Gwyneth Paltrow, I'd tell her to look for someone else since that's not my expertise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Get a new trainer, even if this one is free.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Time for a new trainer... or even better, do everything yourself!
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Assuming your PT's name is Justin Beiber.
  • ashley11scott
    ashley11scott Posts: 63 Member
    trainer fail - next!
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Time to break up with your trainer ! not every trainer is right for every client and vice versa - find one that wants to train you they way you want to train - you will likely find that a male trainer will fall over himself to get you as a client if you want to lift.

Interview prospective trainers and make sure they are a good fit
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 604 Member
    I work out with a PT. I've gone from body weight exercises and progressed right up to weights, and some variations of cross fit. He knows I need to be challenged and I am walking away ( crawling some days LOL ) feeling like a spineless jellyfish. I've made good gains on the bar and he continues to up the weights as I progress.
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    working with my trainer this AM and reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women - I told her I was interested in getting into heavy lifting as I have seen some great results frm ladies on MFP. She feels that heavy lifting will not get me the longated/buffed muscles but rather bulky - which I proclaimed that its not possible for women. I think I should be pushing myself hard and not lifting 5lbs dumbells 15x over - I feel like I am just going through the motion. Ladies with success out there what are your thoughts? What has worked for you. My goal is to reduce body fat and basically a body recomp - not really concerend about the # on the scale!
    your trainer, as most often do, sounds like a broscientologist.
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Your PT is a fool. Get a new one.

What this dude said.