FitBit Flex...worth it?

Options
124»

Replies

• ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I've read that they tend to overestimate if you have a job where you do a lot of typing- that the hand movement can throw it off.
  • dbpickus
    dbpickus Posts: 3
    Options
    I have a Pebble Watch that connects to my iPhone (can also connect to Androids). Then I can use Runkeeper to keep track of my steps and mileage. A fitbit flex is $99.99 and a Pebble Watch is $150. Something to consider.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Yes - there are many rewards sites.

The best is Pact - but its more of a commitment than a reward. You commit to doing a certain # of healthy activities per week.

Do you have the website for that? There's no information included.

I had a lot of issues with GymPact and ended up losing way more money than I made, and when I decided to terminate the program because of technical issues that were never resolved they refused to pay me out.

Now I use AchieveMint which does not charge you money for not doing anything just gives you points for your healthy activities. You can sync so many apps to it-MFP, Runkeeper, Map My Run/Walk/Ride, Foursquare, etc. 25,000 points=$25.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    yes yes yes it is so worth it !!!!

i earned my 1000 mile badge last month
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I don't have one. Thought about it, but decided against. I'm pretty active, I log my calorie intake and my weight daily, I'm losing weight and I can figure out how many calories I'm burning by calculating over time, and then adjust my calorie intake. I use MapMyWalk but only to check distance and speed.

I have enough gadgets/tracking stuff. Don't need any more right now.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    if it helps keep you motivated then it is worth it
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Now I use AchieveMint which does not charge you money for not doing anything just gives you points for your healthy activities. You can sync so many apps to it-MFP, Runkeeper, Map My Run/Walk/Ride, Foursquare, etc. 25,000 points=$25.

Sadly not available outside the US. I did find the other one, http://www.gym-pact.com/

And so as not to hijack a thread, I love my zip. It's not as comprehensive for sure, and eventually I might go up one, but it keeps me motivated for sure.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Yes - there are many rewards sites.

The best is Pact - but its more of a commitment than a reward. You commit to doing a certain # of healthy activities per week.

Do you have the website for that? There's no information included.

I had a lot of issues with GymPact and ended up losing way more money than I made, and when I decided to terminate the program because of technical issues that were never resolved they refused to pay me out.

Had this same issue with GymPact, it consistently screwed up my activities. Never ended up getting paid out either.
  • sparkleberries
    sparkleberries Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump...for later
  • gooserocks85
    gooserocks85 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

2) there is a serious design flaw in either the charging cable or the unit itself. MANY people have reported this, where after a few weeks, the damn thing stops charging properly. I currently hold mine in the charging cable cradle using a heavy-duty paper clip and a piece of paper (the piece of paper jams the unit into the cradle against the pins and the paper clip holds the unit in the cradle so the paper doesn't pop it out again...it is a stupid system). I'm on my second Flex (and 3rd cable) and the problem persists. When my jury-rigged system stops working, I'm buying something new.

i've had the same problem - solved it by wrapping a rubber band around the fitbit in the charging unit. seems to keep it in place pretty well.
  • ashleynburk
    ashleynburk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone! I wasn't expecting such a large amount of responses! I definitely have a lot to consider.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    There was an article in Forbes magazine about MFP making FITBIT and Jawbone UP obsolete. An IPhone 5S now tracks your steps. I returned my UP because its really just an expensive pedometer. You still need the heart rate monitor and have to add stuff that MFP already links with like Map My Walk, Ride or Run.
    Ruth J Princess

So many people tried to sneer at me for getting a Fitbit because 'most phones have pedometers in them now'. & I was like 'yeah... SO?' I don't know about you, but I don't wear my phone strapped to my body all day long. I don't take it to the bathroom with me, or into the shower. I don't sleep with it. My point is that having a function on your phone vs. having an actual device made specifically for tracking steps/sleep/etc. every second of your day & night are two very different things. Plus, as others have mentioned, using apps like that 24/7 drains your battery and slows down the phone.

I do use apps like Map My Walk separately & so far, really enjoy that, but I love my Flex. I like that I put it on & don't have to worry about it. I haven't been very on track recently due to other life factors getting in the way, but I did lose weight while using the Fitbit synced to MFP & eating all my exercise calories back every day, which was an important factor for me in deciding how much I trusted the info it gives me. With that in mind, I think it's fairly accurate and has helped keep me motivated even when other things are going south.
  • woolfman72
    woolfman72 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Both my wife and I have the flex and we both love the fitbit flex. We also have the aria scale. It does help keep me motivated . It makes me want to use that extra lunch time to go walk instead of sitting at my desk. I also love the alarm feature. Its nice to not wake my wife up when the "alarm" goes off in the morning since most days i have to get up before her.
  • zenhiker2014
    zenhiker2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Another very happy fitbit flex user here. I love the way it syncs with MFP and provides real time adjustments to my calorie budget based on my actual activity. Yes, it's a pedometer, but you are also getting the good algorithm that makes it accurate, plus software that calculates activity levels based on your pace (which is more than just counting steps), and various nice tracking tools on the fitbit website, and the ability to sync with MFP as well as lots of other other apps put there - plus the friends option for motivation. It's a whole package of tools that make your step data more useful.
  • ashleynburk
    ashleynburk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Do you find that the One of the Zip is a little less accurate since it's in your pocket or on your bra instead of on your wrist? That's what worries me a little bit.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Do you find that the One of the Zip is a little less accurate since it's in your pocket or on your bra instead of on your wrist? That's what worries me a little bit.

The zip isn't perfect, but, I've compared it with my gps for distance, and the biggest it's been off is by .2 miles. It's really a motivational thing for me, if you're a motivated kind of person, it's really not necessary, but it gets me moving.

The thing that annoys me is the calorie count, which I'll never be able to understand, it includes the calories you burn just by being alive which throws me off, so I don't pay too much attention to it.

You can try out the website before you buy it, https://www.fitbit.com/setup
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    The One is made to be worn on your core. It would not be accurate to wear the One elsewhere.
  • cavelioness
    Options
    love my fitbit flex...bought one for my daughter too and it really motivates her. she loves the vibration telling her she has done her 10.000 steps... due to injury I am not that far yet but building gradually. my sister and boyfriend have also bought them and its great as they are both competative. my boyfriend likes to keep track of our sleep patterns (he lives in Holland and I live in Wales) I didnt realise how restless I was always wondered why I woke up tired lol very happy with my purchase