Binge Days: Why they can be beneficial for your weight loss

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I realize that for some, this may work. However, I know myself well enough to know that I'm an all or nothing person. If I had a cheat day, it would turn into a week, then into a year, and then 34 years! For instance, that may happen to you as well. You mentioned Friday's were your cheat day, and then you said "Sunday" you get right back on track...is it possible you've begun 2 days of cheating in a row?

As far as rewarding myself? I do that with seeing what I can do physically, and the weight I've lost. That will always be my reward.

I am terribly sorry! I meant to say I was starting the week off on the right foot. Meaning, I am back on track saturday and sunday after my free day on Friday, and starting the work week off strong! Sorry for the confusion!
    Nope. There is not confusion that you are bingeing, because you said this in your original post:
    I used to be in love with brownies, especially fudgy and peanut butter ones. One day, after my mom had made a batch of about 20, I decided that my hard work should pay off so I ate the whole thing throughout the day

You ate 20 brownies in one day. That IS a binge, and a serious one. That is not considered a cheat day.

How about one or two brownies and saving the rest for others to eat, or freeze some for later days?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with treating yourself, but overdoing it causes man problems.

You're not going to want to hear this, and I mean it sincerely, but you need to get some help for your bingeing.
  • Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. The snarky people are usually the ones who need the most help. Being mean makes them feel better. I NEVER got from your post that you're a binger in the clinical sense. Folks need to go have a piece of chocolate and calm the **** down.
    Direct quote from the OP "One day, after my mom had made a batch of about 20, I decided that my hard work should pay off so I ate the whole thing throughout the day, in it's entirety." How is that not a binge? That is not a free day or a cheat meal. That is a binge. Eating over your calorie limit is a cheat. Eating an entire pan of 20 brownies is a binge. There is nothing helpful or useful about eating an entire pan of brownies.

You need to do some research. Binges take place over the course of a very short period of time. This was an extended amount of time(the day in its entirety) and it was only an example. Stop being so critical.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Hang in there. The snarky people are usually the ones who need the most help. Being mean makes them feel better. I NEVER got from your post that you're a binger in the clinical sense. Folks need to go have a piece of chocolate and calm the **** down.
    Nah, just blatant honesty.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Direct quote from the OP "One day, after my mom had made a batch of about 20, I decided that my hard work should pay off so I ate the whole thing throughout the day, in it's entirety." How is that not a binge? That is not a free day or a cheat meal. That is a binge. Eating over your calorie limit is a cheat. Eating an entire pan of 20 brownies is a binge. There is nothing helpful or useful about eating an entire pan of brownies.

You need to do some research. Binges take place over the course of a very short period of time. This was an extended amount of time(the day in its entirety) and it was only an example. Stop being so critical.
    Not true. Binges can last a whole day, as in 20 brownies.
  • Stilllosing26
    Options

Not true. Binges can last a whole day, as in 20 brownies.

Okay. I respect your view/opinion :)
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

I'm sorry but you shouldn't be surprised that a post that deemed eating 20 brownies as being "beneficial for your weight loss" was going to catch some flack. A typical brownie is around 250 calories. Eating 5000 calories just from brownies is in no way beneficial to weight loss.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options

I was wondering about logging every bite of food...is that sort of eating disorder too? please don't beat me...
    //run away

I think it definitely can be.

I have free days every week too. Usually Friday and Saturday. It works well for maintenance for me. But I have to watch them ifi want to actually lose a few lbs. Like, I'm at 19% bf and would like to be closer to 17% so I can have a 4-pack. Gotta limit the free days. :cry:

People get weird and defensive on this site, but this site isn't just for overweight people, and those suffering from EDs. I came here at a normal weight just wanting to get a little leaner. I'll use this site next fall/winter when I bulk too.
  • Stilllosing26
    Options

I'm sorry but you shouldn't be surprised that a post that deemed eating 20 brownies as being "beneficial for your weight loss" was going to catch some flack. A typical brownie is around 250 calories. Eating 5000 calories just from brownies is in no way beneficial to weight loss.

They were very small, probably 100-150 calories a piece. Not your average size. Thank you
  • vismal
    Options

They were very small, probably 100-150 calories a piece. Not your average size. Thank you
    That changes nothing. so 2000-3000 calories instead of 5000. It is still in no way beneficial to weight loss.
  • Stilllosing26
    Options

That changes nothing. so 2000-3000 calories instead of 5000. It is still in no way beneficial to weight loss.

Well I have lost 20 pounds, so it is and was beneficial to my success! :)
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I would rather not do that,i am a small frame short woman and my budget is low. I don't deliberately eat calorie dense food on my own. I rather wait for an eating out with friends or family when i indulge in biriyani to sweets anything at all.if it is a more than 500 cal surplus ,i divide those 500 cals in 7 days and eat a little more deficit. works for me.for everyday one chocolate square or 49 cals of dark kitkat fingers....i work them into my calorie goal.

That said,what you are doing is obviously working for you,congratulations for your loss.
    I honestly dislike the term "cheat day" or "cheat meal" as bad as "binge". I'm not in a relationship with my diet and I'm not misbehaving if I have a day where I don't stay at a calorie loss. Yes, word choice does matter and affects how you think.

Instead I have days where I plan that I'm not going to track. They aren't regularly occurring, but do crop up. For example on Mother's Day I will eat whatever appeals to me that day and not bother to track, but I'm not going to approach the day like "I'm out of prison I can have ANYTHING, so let's have EVERYTHING." Saturday was a "not going to bother to track" day because I took my son to the zoo. I still had my normal breakfast (around 200 calories), had my 80 calorie coffee at Starbucks while he had a treat of a blueberry muffin and chocolate milk, but when we were at the zoo I had a slice of pizza and an ice cream cone, and had my normal dinner. I might have finished the day in a deficit, and I might not, and honestly don't care. But I take comfort in knowing I didn't go nuts and have three giant meals and a Frap, etc. and kept using what I've learned.

These two are so good, I had to QFT.

I am a small person (5'3"), came to the site at a healthy weight (135), but I want to slim down (115-120).
    If I had a 'binge' day like OP's, I would utterly destroy my deficit because my BMR/TDEE are already so low that my deficit cannot be very low without being dangerous to my health (at 1200 net cals per day, I'm calculated to lose 0.9 lbs per week. MFP literally won't let me set my goal to 2 lbs because the deficit would require less than 1200 net cals/day).

Most of the time, I try to fit stuff into my daily calories (tonight I had a moderately large bowl of ice cream - 1 cup), but sometimes I go out to the pub or have dinner/drinks with some friends. No big deal, I might go 200-400 cals over if I maintain a good day besides the one high-cal meal. This seems like a lot of calories, but I'm not going to limit myself because I know I'd eventually have a binge-type day or give up on my 'diet' altogether. With a few hundred calories over my daily once in a while (maybe once every week or two), I know my weight loss will be slower, but it will be more maintainable.
  • vismal
    Options

[/quote]In what way did eating the tray of brownies contribute to that?
  • SLLRunner
    Options

No offense intended, but based on how you are responding, I get a feeling you are pretty young, as in a teenager still living at home.

Do you see the audacity in the statements you are making in this thread? You came here looking for validation for eating twenty brownies in a day while restricting your calorie intake on other days, and then you get mad when people are honest with you based on the words you wrote.

It's simply not healthy to binge on anything at all and then severely restrict your calorie intake on other days.

I have no idea what your weight is or how much you have to lose, but what about working treats into your daily life in moderation while staying within your alloted calorie goal?

Several years ago I was heavy into bingeing which progressed into bulimia, and it all got worse after my mother passed away when I was 23. I hid it from the world, but I was lucky enough to find treatment. In treatment, it's amazing what you can find out about yourself when it comes to a relationship with food.
  • Kar3n84
    Kar3n84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    IMG_1665.jpg

Did someone say brownies? :bigsmile: :love:
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    IMG_1665.jpg

Ohhhh....those look delicious!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Everyone handles dieting differently. I would not call it a bad idea, maybe a bad idea for some, and if it is bad or you or anyone else for that matter then they should not do it; however, that doesn't mean it is a bad idea for everyone. I had lost more weight in the weeks when I did go over my calorie goad and just enjoyed the foods that I hade been missing. So, bottom line what works for some does not work for all. Each person has to determine that, and should. I wouldn't use the word Binge because that is not what I am doing, and I'm not cheating. I take one evening or two and eat a few things I would not if I stuck to my diet. It gets rid of the cravings, I have enjoyed my meal, and I ready to get back on my diet. It's all a mindset. :)

This is, so far, the most calm and reasonable reply along the thread.
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    IMG_1665.jpg

oh is this what we're doing?
    try these on for size: slutty brownies. brownie, oreo, chocolate chip cookie layers. SO GOOD.

Slutty-Brownies-21.jpg
  • juggie49
    juggie49 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Again, we have to be careful how we use the term "binge". Eating an entire pan of brownies over the course of a day might be an unwise choice but It doesn't qualify the individual as a clinical "binge eater" unless they do it REGULARLY and it's become something that prevents them from enjoying a productive, satisfying life.

If the occasional error in judgment makes one a certifiable binge eater then our entire nation is in trouble for the 5000 calories we consume on Thanksgiving day. Clinicians will tell you that one day doesn't make us all bingers.

Your profile says that you were once 315 lbs. Clearly, you've accomplished something fantastic and others who are still where you once were could benefit from your experience. However, the potential advice and encouragement that you could offer gets lost in your terse comments.

Let's assume this person IS a binger in the clinical sense (hypothetically speaking, of course). Perhaps you might have asked them some questions or made some suggestions to get them thinking which could inspire real dialogue that might result in their seeking help for their problem.

Instead, you come at them with guns a blazing and all that guidance you could have offered gets lost.

SO many newbies to this site remark how rude, mean, insensitive, etc. people are. Doesn't that bother you? Whether it was from this site or another avenue, didn't someone offer you help, advice, encouragement when you were 315lbs?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Again, we have to be careful how we use the term "binge". Eating an entire pan of brownies over the course of a day might be an unwise choice but It doesn't qualify the individual as a clinical "binge eater" unless they do it REGULARLY and it's become something that prevents them from enjoying a productive, satisfying life.

If the occasional error in judgment makes one a certifiable binge eater then our entire nation is in trouble for the 5000 calories we consume on Thanksgiving day. Clinicians will tell you that one day doesn't make us all bingers.

Your profile says that you were once 315 lbs. Clearly, you've accomplished something fantastic and others who are still where you once were could benefit from your experience. However, the potential advice and encouragement that you could offer gets lost in your terse comments.

Let's assume this person IS a binger in the clinical sense (hypothetically speaking, of course). Perhaps you might have asked them some questions or made some suggestions to get them thinking which could inspire real dialogue that might result in their seeking help for their problem.

Instead, you come at them with guns a blazing and all that guidance you could have offered gets lost.

SO many newbies to this site remark how rude, mean, insensitive, etc. people are. Doesn't that bother you? Whether it was from this site or another avenue, didn't someone offer you help, advice, encouragement when you were 315lbs?
    With al due respect, lots of people HAVE offered good advice and the OP has become defensive. Why do you feel the need to lecture?

The original poster has communicated to us in such a way that red flags are popping up all over the place. I'm concerned, as I'm sure other people are too.
This discussion has been closed.