Binge Days: Why they can be beneficial for your weight loss

Options
123457»

Replies

• gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Instead, you come at them with guns a blazing and all that guidance you could have offered gets lost.

SO many newbies to this site remark how rude, mean, insensitive, etc. people are. Doesn't that bother you? Whether it was from this site or another avenue, didn't someone offer you help, advice, encouragement when you were 315lbs?

QFT
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Again, we have to be careful how we use the term "binge". Eating an entire pan of brownies over the course of a day might be an unwise choice but It doesn't qualify the individual as a clinical "binge eater" unless they do it REGULARLY and it's become something that prevents them from enjoying a productive, satisfying life.

If the occasional error in judgment makes one a certifiable binge eater then our entire nation is in trouble for the 5000 calories we consume on Thanksgiving day. Clinicians will tell you that one day doesn't make us all bingers.

Your profile says that you were once 315 lbs. Clearly, you've accomplished something fantastic and others who are still where you once were could benefit from your experience. However, the potential advice and encouragement that you could offer gets lost in your terse comments.

Let's assume this person IS a binger in the clinical sense (hypothetically speaking, of course). Perhaps you might have asked them some questions or made some suggestions to get them thinking which could inspire real dialogue that might result in their seeking help for their problem.

Instead, you come at them with guns a blazing and all that guidance you could have offered gets lost.

SO many newbies to this site remark how rude, mean, insensitive, etc. people are. Doesn't that bother you? Whether it was from this site or another avenue, didn't someone offer you help, advice, encouragement when you were 315lbs?
    Not addressed towards me but I will answer.
    Answer: No

People also tend to be overly sensitive when the are told the truth. To many people focusing on the delivery and not the message. So many people get called rude simply because they are disagreed with. The forum is open to the public, people have the choice to stay or not stay.
    This
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I don't want to jump on the hate-train, but I think both sides have points:

yes, some people got snarky/rude to OP

yes, OP used poor word choice and questionable eating habits

Some commenters could/should have used more courteous language, but even when some people did, OP rejected every bit of constructive advice or questions concerning her eating habits, just repeating over and over again that it worked for her (this is faulty logic on OP's part, e.g., anorexia works for weight loss too, but that doesn't make it a healthy choice).

OP also posted the thread with a title that implies fact, rather than anecdotal evidence at best. ["Binge Days: Why they can be beneficial for your weight loss"] I actually came to this thread curious about what scientific evidence or article would be in the body of the thread to explain why "binge days" would be beneficial to weight loss.

Lastly, commenters were right when they pointed out that newbies or people with less education/awareness of fitness/health strategies might see threads like this one and come to inaccurate and potentially dangerous (or at least counter-productive) conclusions about their own health strategies. This is why the argument "if you don't agree, you don't need to participate in this thread" doesn't work here.

In sum,

OP needs to really carefully evaluate her health strategies and use language that doesn't imply that her opinion/experience is fact (or that it would work for others - "beneficial for YOUR weight loss"), and avoid language that implies disordered eating when she's trying to make a point about healthy living.

Commenters should perhaps aim for more tact while responding to under-educated posts, but they were ultimately right for responding to OP's misleading/poorly worded thread in order to educate OP and avoid confusion for newbies.

That's my 2 cents! Nothing is ever black and white.
  • Kar3n84
    Kar3n84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    IMG_1665.jpg

Did someone say brownies? :bigsmile: :love:

oh is this what we're doing?
    try these on for size: slutty brownies. brownie, oreo, chocolate chip cookie layers. SO GOOD.

Slutty-Brownies-21.jpg

Oh hello new best friend!! :flowerforyou:

I made ones a couple months back that had coconut on top, it was absolutely delicious!
  • kelCshea
    kelCshea Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There's actually some scientific data to back up why "cheat meals" or "refeed meals" are beneficial to fat-loss....it's all about planning, and knowing what *type* of "cheat" is the best for you goals...

http://averagefitnessfreak.com/refeed-to-lose-body-fat/

This is the start of what I was getting at. It is not required for the majority of people. Very lean people are the exception.

Also, from memory it only boosts leptin for a short period of time.

All about leptin here. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-hormones-of-bodyweight-regulation-leptin-part-1.html

I'm def not an expert, but from what I understand it can also be beneficial to those eating at defect for long periods of time? From what I've researched, you go with a high carb/low protein and low fat re-feed.

So, to the OP's question, maybe not necessarily a regular cheat meal or day just for the sake of sanity...but just a way to boost levels back in order to help the continuation of fat loss....? Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Diet breaks :smile: Eating at maintenance for 2 weeks or so will be more beneficial for those in deficit for a long time than one reefed day. It does come down to the individual and there circumstances though.

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. . . And for being the only helpful person in the thread, it seems. Haha :)
  • purple44444
    purple44444 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My free meals are when I eat out with friends occassionally. That way I keep myself on track but still get to enjoy great food and a great time without trying to calculate what I can eat without going over my limits!
  • Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I am sorry if I offended anyone with the way I used the word "binge". It was not my intention to make it sound like I was binging in any way related to an eating disorder. My apologies.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

Thanks for your understanding,

MyFitnessPal
    psuLemon
This discussion has been closed.