Government should mandate accuracy of MFP database

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    So, are you saying that the rest of the world's food options should be left out because it's an American-based company? Or do you have a plan where the US government talks to other governments of the world to ensure the accuracy of their food products too?

Under your plan, would there be any way for people to add in their own recipes/food types?

Foreigners can make their own MFP. Or their own laws. Why should I care about some fool in Germany and his strudel eating habits?
    MFP should be required to validate those entries, particularly sushi. And bad sushi entry makers banned from all you can eat places.

Wow American Arrogance at it's best. Not all countries have the funds you idiot. So do you have friends or are all your friend's on you FL American? You might learn something from looking outside of your country and it's self-centered ways of living. You might find your country is not the best maybe? Just a thought.

Thanks for the name calling. Lol. I'm not American.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I want to know when the US government will include kangaroo on their charts? :tongue:

In all seriousness, I quite often search with usda on the end to get an accurate result. Great for raw foods with no barcodes.
  • Sun_Wukong
    Sun_Wukong Posts: 131
    Options
    Agreed and Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho for president!!

VyH6C8I.gif

C8lmIOt.png
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    they should moderate my PM's too. I can't think of anything the government can't do better than me. 'cept maybe twerk?
  • Sun_Wukong
    Options
    they should moderate my PM's too. I can't think of anything the government can't do better than me. 'cept maybe twerk?
    254LlN2.jpg

Well technically I guess she is only the first lady so you do have a point.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    So, are you saying that the rest of the world's food options should be left out because it's an American-based company? Or do you have a plan where the US government talks to other governments of the world to ensure the accuracy of their food products too?

Under your plan, would there be any way for people to add in their own recipes/food types?

Foreigners can make their own MFP. Or their own laws. Why should I care about some fool in Germany and his strudel eating habits?
    MFP should be required to validate those entries, particularly sushi. And bad sushi entry makers banned from all you can eat places.

Wow American Arrogance at it's best. Not all countries have the funds you idiot. So do you have friends or are all your friend's on you FL American? You might learn something from looking outside of your country and it's self-centered ways of living. You might find your country is not the best maybe? Just a thought.

Why are you acting like you are then lol.

I stand by what I said though, America might have the funds etc but a lot of countries don't, this has happened a few times with other systems in the past. I doesn't end well for some countries who get left out in the cold.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

People from countries where blue hair is allowed need not weigh in on this discussion. Please and thank you.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    254LlN2.jpg

Yes, and he may have a point too, but that's neither here nor there. Well, actually it's there. It's definitely not here, I'd know.

I would be remiss though if I did not clarify a glaring point in your argument. That is not twerking, it's a lapdance. Might be grinding too, but not twerking by it's strictest definition.
  • Sun_Wukong
    Options

I stand by what I said though, America might have the funds etc but a lot of countries don't, this has happened a few times with other systems in the past. I doesn't end well for some countries who get left out in the cold.
    pHnNZvk.gif

This might give you some perspective: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1278439-it-should-be-required-by-federal-law
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Agreed and Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho for president!!

Yes! Yes, this. Anyone with that many names definitely has my vote for president.
  • Sun_Wukong
    Options
    254LlN2.jpg

Yes, and he may have a point too, but that's neither here nor there. Well, actually it's there. It's definitely not here, I'd know.

I would be remiss though if I did not clarify a glaring point in your argument. That is not twerking, it's a lapdance. Might be grinding too, but not twerking by it's strictest definition.
    You got me there no doubt, you better pm me a video of you twerking for clarification just to be sure :tongue:
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    This is easy to rectify. If you feel the site is too inaccurate for you, LEAVE!!!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

IMG_12891.gif
  • BRA_S
    BRA_S Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Murica!! Whoo!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    254LlN2.jpg

You got me there no doubt, you better pm me a video of you twerking for clarification just to be sure :tongue:

Why do you need to be sure? I'm already sure.
  • Sun_Wukong
    Options
    254LlN2.jpg

Why do you need to be sure? I'm already sure.
    hee0n12.png
    eFxcBHH.png
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    The MFP database is a self-regulating system. Inaccuracies, in theory, will be sorted out every time foods are reverified. Government mandates means hiring employees to manually verify the contents of the database. This is in itself a huge undertaking, but when you consider that the website is privately-owned, there is absolutely no incentive for ANY government to do so.

Or, they could just buy it and let it slowly fall apart due to a lack of funding, in which case we'd be even worse off because the ability for users to generate their own content, i.e. add and verify nutritional information, would be gone but there would not be enough funding to reliably keep the database updated. That would be a lose-lose.

Of course, you may not be serious about that desire of yours. I have my fingers crossed.

But they are not, inaccuracies are added and the information improvement paradigm requires the the quality of the information add is better than than the quality of the core data. It's just not the case.

If that were the case, everything on Wikipedia would read "**** **** **** lol **** **** **** ****." Erroneous data gets ironed out longitudinally, even if it may take a while and even if the current state of data is never 100% representative of the ideal.

Only when the editing process is managed. Wikipedia like editing here would be useful. It just isn't so, one can't flag ones entries, follow up, etc....

I can agree with you that the current level of user-guided corrections to the database are a lot lower than we should have, but in theory, the law of large numbers would sort out the anomalies if we simply had a greater sample size, i.e. people actually vetting their own nutritional information. But we don't, so it's still not an ideal situation.

Encouraging more individual participation is exponentially easier than government involvement though. And yes, I realize this is a troll, but it's an interesting discussion nonetheless.

Edit: To everyone else, do you not understand hyperbole when you read it? Inject a chill shot.

Ok, I honestly did not know it was troll cos I have seen people be serious about this stuff a lot as have others, also if you have a whole bunch of people in one place from all around the world think about the differing cultural filters this is going through. Perhaps you need to inject a little social and cultural awareness?

But now that I went away and come back to see it, I know it's a person who be trolling. Thanks for letting us all know. :laugh: :laugh: :noway:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The site resides in America and is run by an American company.

Perhaps "corporate social responsibility" should come into play. They could have the goal of having the most accurate and comprehensive database available without any government nonsense.

In a similar way they could improve spam control on the forums.

Perhaps social media pressure is a route to consider.....
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Perhaps this is social pressure.
    The force of ridicule and all that.

And to the blue haired lady, the info is there, right in my profile.

And I still thing that quality governance isn't a far fetched idea. We will see it in our lifetimes in many fields due to immaterials goods and the human cost they can engender. Mfp? Small fry.

Police yourself, or wait for the Man to do it.
  • Whiskeytub
    Whiskeytub Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    No mandating!

Sometimes I just need the option to put in 55 calories for a cookie I know has well over a hundred.

Because it just feels right that day.
    Morale for the troops.