Cows milk vs almond milk

Options

Replies

• KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Ostrich Milk is the healthiest you can get

I think Feline (cat) milk actually has a better macronutrient profile.

I like that you put cat in parenthesis.

I am even more curious now of what else someone might have confused feline with?

I hear they are tough to milk though....

milking-the-cat-o.gif
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I prefer Cow's milk.
    I've never seen teet's on an almond, nuts maybe/
  • bonkosaurusrex
    Options
    Why not both?!
    I like Milk in my cheerios and almond milk in my chia pudding.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Both!

However I prefer the taste of almond milk and I think it makes my protein shakes taste better :D

But seriously drink both!
  • em_b2002
    em_b2002 Posts: 16
    Options
    Any research I have done has always left me confused because of contradictions, so thought id get advice.
    I decided I would do abit of both.
    Thank you for the feedback :)
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I prefer Cow's milk.

74b9c8c6-75e4-40c1-9a1e-46790a88b2e4_zpseb6ef326.jpg

Now you can no longer make that claim. You're welcome.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I prefer Cow's milk.

74b9c8c6-75e4-40c1-9a1e-46790a88b2e4_zpseb6ef326.jpg

Now you can no longer make that claim. You're welcome.

My day = complete. :laugh::drinker:
  • OU812lol
    OU812lol Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Plants can provide every essential amino acid. I like this example below:

From Jeff Novick, M.S., R.D.:

Recently, I was teaching a nutrition class and describing the adequacy of plant-based diets to meet human nutritional needs. A woman raised her hand and stated, "I've read that because plant foods don't contain all the essential amino acids that humans need, to be healthy we must either eat animal protein or combine certain plant foods with others in order to ensure that we get complete proteins."
    I was a little surprised to hear this, since this is one of the oldest myths related to vegetarianism and was disproved long ago. When I pointed this out, the woman identified herself as a medical resident and stated that her current textbook in human physiology states this and that in her classes, her professors have emphasized this point.

I was shocked. If myths like this not only abound in the general population, but also in the medical community, how can anyone ever learn how to eat healthfully? It is important to correct this misinformation because many people are afraid to follow healthful, plant-based, and/or total vegetarian (vegan) diets because they worry about "incomplete proteins" from plant sources. ...if you calculate the amount of each essential amino acid provided by unprocessed plant foods ... you will find that any single one, or combination, of these whole natural plant foods provides all of the essential amino acids. ...

Modern researchers know that it is virtually impossible to design a calorie-sufficient diet based on unprocessed whole natural plant foods that is deficient in any of the amino acids. (The only possible exception could be a diet based solely on fruit.)
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Plants can provide every essential amino acid. I like this example below:

From Jeff Novick, M.S., R.D.:

Recently, I was teaching a nutrition class and describing the adequacy of plant-based diets to meet human nutritional needs. A woman raised her hand and stated, "I've read that because plant foods don't contain all the essential amino acids that humans need, to be healthy we must either eat animal protein or combine certain plant foods with others in order to ensure that we get complete proteins."
    I was a little surprised to hear this, since this is one of the oldest myths related to vegetarianism and was disproved long ago. When I pointed this out, the woman identified herself as a medical resident and stated that her current textbook in human physiology states this and that in her classes, her professors have emphasized this point.

I was shocked. If myths like this not only abound in the general population, but also in the medical community, how can anyone ever learn how to eat healthfully? It is important to correct this misinformation because many people are afraid to follow healthful, plant-based, and/or total vegetarian (vegan) diets because they worry about "incomplete proteins" from plant sources. ...if you calculate the amount of each essential amino acid provided by unprocessed plant foods ... you will find that any single one, or combination, of these whole natural plant foods provides all of the essential amino acids. ...

Modern researchers know that it is virtually impossible to design a calorie-sufficient diet based on unprocessed whole natural plant foods that is deficient in any of the amino acids. (The only possible exception could be a diet based solely on fruit.)

And this related to the OPs milk question how?
  • sivartk
    sivartk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I prefer Almond milk. It is also better that I drink Almond milk for the people that have to work and live around me....LOL
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Forgive me if there has already been a post about this, but I'm new :)

I love almonds, and almond milk. But what is healthier?
    I have oats for breakfast (fills me up for a few hours!)
    And not sure if to use almond milk instead of cows milk?
    Thanks x

Make your own almond milk and forget the heavily laden milk that is sold in stores. All you need is 1 cup of almond and at least 4 cups of water - a lot richer than store. The only disadvantage is that it only last for 2-3 days. Google making almond milk, very easy to do.
  • melissa_tn
    melissa_tn Posts: 37
    Options
    Why does nearly every thread I read on this site digress into snarkiness by the time all is said and done? I'm sure those of you with thousands of posts have discussed milk alternatives to death, but if the point of this site is to encourage others in their lifestyle change then why isn't there more patience for those new to their journey?

Because I won't stand for people spreading un-truths about agriculture, especially the dairy industry, which is so often misrepresented on MFP.

Why not let the OP decide what advice to take to heart? If people don't do their own research, that is on them. You or the person you are rebutting would not be my deciding factor in my own health decisions. There will always be differing opinions of whether the things we eat are clean/healthy. It doesn't seem helpful to the OP to have to weed through the snarky comments to get to the one's trying to address her post. Clearly, I'm very new to posting, I just find the tone to every post takes a nose dive and I don't get it.

Apparently this is the OP's version of research, and you are not them. So maybe words spoken here will be her deciding factor. It seems she's already decided to drink cows' milk anyway.

You missed the point though. If somebody is going to come on here and make ridiculous claims based on some propoganda they read on facebook (or something similar) without using critical thinking, of course they're going to be met with snark. I personally have not been snarky, but yeah it bothers me when someone classifies a whole industry as immoral and unnatural based on things that aren't true.

I don't care what people drink or why they choose to drink almond milk or cows' milk. But if someone is going to make a claim, they better have their facts straight.
    I haven't missed your point, and agree, you have not been snarky in your responses, but that can't be said for the majority of the other responses. I'm not at all opposed to seeing differing views and learning new info myself, and that wasn't really the point of my post. I have been on other communities that are very supportive, and this board in general has a very hateful tone to it (again, not saying your posts specifically).
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Animal sources of protein, like cow's milk, have a much better amino acid profile, specifically branched chain amino acids which your body cannot produce and must be consumed, than non animal sources of protein. Branched chained amino acids make up 60% of your skeletal muscle tissue, so it's very important. I get almost all of my protein from animal sources, so I'll go with cow's milk every time.

This!
  • em_b2002
    em_b2002 Posts: 16
    Options
    Forgive me if there has already been a post about this, but I'm new :)

I love almonds, and almond milk. But what is healthier?
    I have oats for breakfast (fills me up for a few hours!)
    And not sure if to use almond milk instead of cows milk?
    Thanks x

Make your own almond milk and forget the heavily laden milk that is sold in stores. All you need is 1 cup of almond and at least 4 cups of water - a lot richer than store. The only disadvantage is that it only last for 2-3 days. Google making almond milk, very easy to do.

Will have to try this, thanks!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Why does nearly every thread I read on this site digress into snarkiness by the time all is said and done?

because there are a lot of hungry overweight people on this site?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Animal sources of protein, like cow's milk, have a much better amino acid profile, specifically branched chain amino acids which your body cannot produce and must be consumed, than non animal sources of protein. Branched chained amino acids make up 60% of your skeletal muscle tissue, so it's very important. I get almost all of my protein from animal sources, so I'll go with cow's milk every time.

Valine isoleucine and leucine make up 60% of skeletal muscle? Call me skeptical. Can you find a source for that that isn't a bodybuilding blog or website or BCAA marketer?
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Why does nearly every thread I read on this site digress into snarkiness by the time all is said and done?

This doesnt happen in threads about ...

14%2B-%2B1
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I drink Almond milk because I'm lactose intolerant and don't feel like drinking lactose free milk(still upsets my stomach). I also like that its lower in calories and has more calcium per serving verses cows milk. I get the blue diamond Brand in Vanilla and its 80 calories per 8 ounces.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why not let the OP decide what advice to take to heart?

Didn't the OP make his or her decision, back in post 9? Now it's just the usual dairy fight.
  • koosorlose
    koosorlose Posts: 186
    Options
    I wish I had warm chocolate chip cookies and a cold cup of cow milk........................