why do people seem to not like planet fitness?

Options
I have joined Planet Fitness to kick start my weight loss and have seen a lot of negative comments toward them. Any particular reason why you don't like them? I have enjoyed going there and wonder if it is maybe just folks who are looking for more body-building type atmosphere that seem to not enjoy PF.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    they have strict rules, if im not mistaken certain places dont allow deadlifts, heavy dumbells (over like 80 lbs?) or chalk at all. i think its more the large corporation gyms that people dislike than just planet fitness though

edit; just did a little research and many PF locations dont have dumbbells over 60 lbs, which is fine for curls but if your doing press or something similar you'll run out of weight fast
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Reasons:

-They removed the squat racks because some people cant perform exercises others do.

-No water jug because it makes you look like you are more serious about fitness than most of them.

-No tank tops because you look too big and will make others feel bad.

-People talk on the phone between sets.

-They give PIZZA and BAGELS monthly like WTF?

*kitten* Planet Fitness!

3e9a40a0590011e19896123138142014_7.jpg
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    popcorn_2.gif

In

And

Per the usual response....

If they didn't caracaturize fitness enthusiasts and call them a dull or stupid person; blockhead; an awkward, heavy, or stupid person all while advertising a judgement free zone, they'd catch far less hell here, but from what I can tell that's what they want.

Telling people they don't belong so they join their "judgement free" zone when in all actuality they are probably the most judgmental gym around.
  • cyberlucy
    cyberlucy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been going there now during the week for about a month. I have seen no bagels, no pizza, and no tootsie rolls. I've also seen attendants correcting people when they are using the machines wrong.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I have joined Planet Fitness to kick start my weight loss and have seen a lot of negative comments toward them. Any particular reason why you don't like them? I have enjoyed going there and wonder if it is maybe just folks who are looking for more body-building type atmosphere that seem to not enjoy PF.

I don't think you should let what other people think about Planet Fitness influence your experience there. You say you enjoy it. I think that's reason enough for you to continue going. If you are able to utilize this particular facility to help you meet your goals, then that's great!
  • spikedholly
    spikedholly Posts: 38
    Options
    Maybe it's because they are too close to Globo Gym from Dodgeball with the corporation and the excess purple everything :embarassed:

"Ha-ha! Just kidding. But not really." :laugh:

I go there too. I just stay away from the days they try to give free carbs away and avoid the tootsie roll counter on my way in/out.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I have been going there now during the week for about a month. I have seen no bagels, no pizza, and no tootsie rolls. I've also seen attendants correcting people when they are using the machines wrong.

I actually have a membership there and YES they do!!
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    They are really good about getting themselves in the news for kicking people out. Their dress code and how it is enforced is ridiculous. They claim to be a "judgment free zone" but that only applies to the people they actually want at their non gym. Honestly, their business model sucks.

And their color scheme is awful!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options

Just...wow.

I'm not American, so haven't heard much about them. But a lunk alarm? and no deadlifts? I do like me a good deadlift.

But I'd take it as a badge of honour if someone sounded a klaxon at me for being too fit and achieving a lithe hot bod.
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    No deadlifts.

... and an act of Congress to cancel your membership.

Edited to add: Pizza Night and Bagel Morning? After working out.. .the smell of pizza made me want to yack.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    If someone is intimidated by your appearance you will be kicked out.
    Just like real life when the CEO of your company intimidates you because they make more money and have more power than you. You can tap the person with the purple and yellow shirt and have the CEO removed...........wait wut
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Because people like to feel superior and seem to love complaining.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    frustrating lack of basic lifting equipment
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Because people like to feel superior and seem to love complaining.

You're talking about PF corporate.....right?
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I belonged for a few months. The air conditioning was rarely on, the machines were old and often, as many as half were not functional. It was dark with burnt out lamps and dangling light fixtures.
    That's why.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    They are really good about getting themselves in the news for kicking people out. Their dress code and how it is enforced is ridiculous. They claim to be a "judgment free zone" but that only applies to the people they actually want at their non gym. Honestly, their business model sucks.

Actually, it doesn't suck. They get all sorts of attention from the folks on MFP because of that business model. And at $10 per month, the price is right for a lot of people.

As for pizza, bagels and tootsie rolls, so what? I have yet to see them forcing anyone to eat any of those things. After a good hard workout, I love me some pizza. Though I won't eat the stuff they serve at PF, only because I have seen people go right from working out to grabbing a piece (and touching the piece next to it) without washing their hands and I find that pretty gross.