why do people seem to not like planet fitness?

Replies

• Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    There's no pool to swim, or do water jogging in, and no group classes like spin, kickboxing, zumba, yoga, etc.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    They are really good about getting themselves in the news for kicking people out. Their dress code and how it is enforced is ridiculous. They claim to be a "judgment free zone" but that only applies to the people they actually want at their non gym. Honestly, their business model sucks.

And their color scheme is awful!

No. their business model is absolute genius.

$10/mo. They only get a certain type of customer. That customer goes in Jan for 2 weeks, and never goes again for 3 years, meanwhile continuing to pay $10/mo because it's not enough to worry about. Then, they get inspiration, and go again, in Jan 3 years later, for 2 weeks, and stop going and continue paying $10/mo for another 3 years. and it goes on and on and on and on. This is their business model.

THEY DON'T ACTUALLY WANT PEOPLE TO USE THE GYM. This is why they don't want actual gym people going there. People that use the gym put wear and tear on the equipment. And, if you think it's a surprise that they offer pizza and candy, then you haven't really understood the business model yet. Keep thinking.

It's absolutely the best business model I have ever seen and one of my regrets in life is that I didn't think of this first. It's absolutely beautiful.

It is rather brilliant in that light.
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    I have never joined a planet fitness although really wanted to because so much is included for only 10 bucks a month. I don't think they are advertizing anyone who is bulked up is a lunk but rather just trying to let people know who might not feel like their body is ready for a gym that there is a place for them to go.

I did find fitness evolution right down the street from my house for only 10 bucks a month too but no training included.

I don't see a problem with a gym doing pizza or bagels once a month. It is once a month right? Nobody is forced to eat it and honestly it might be your monthly reward for sticking to your eating plan?

If they really do enforce no large water bottles or strict clothing guidelines then I don't agree with that. I carry a huge water bottle and refill it 4 times while at the gym, also if I am paying to go to a gym I don't want them telling me what I can and can't wear.

The tootsie rolls on the counter, ya seems strange but not worth hating them over is it?

that being said there are many gyms that are judgmental to those that are overweight. For instance My first day walking into a UFC gym I had a huge meat head looking gym yell "hey fatass" to me from about 30 feet away, I was at the front counter and the lady didn't say anything just smiles at him. I complained, wrote a yelp review and everything. The manager of that gym sat me down when I tried to cancel to talk about the situation, trying to figure out "why that one comment upset me so much?" He had the female from the front desk in there with him taking notes and she looked up after 20 minutes of me repeatedly saying how embarrassed I was about that comment from someone i didn't know . . .by the way I was the only fat person in that gym at that moment. She said "People here joke like that all the time, I think you took it too hard." I told her nobody has the right to joke like that in a gym and they shouldn't be defending it. The guy signing me up questioned my affiliation to the military by stating 'you obviously are not in the military" gesturing to my body while saying that so planet fitness is not the only gym to "judge people" and from the looks of it there are plenty of fit people that go there.

Bottom line, if a gym works for you, use it . . .if you don't agree with them, don't use it
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    I think the most idiotic and sad thing about Planet Fitness is their advertising a "judgement free zone" when I have NEVER seen such a horribly judgemental business. EVER.
  • pain_is_weakness
    if they actually have a lunk alarm, that is just messed up . . .I wish more gyms encourages a mix of different fitness levels and I am sure nobody likes being pointed out with an alarm right? But judging the "type " of people that go to planet fitness as 2 week quitters is also wrong, I am sure there are many that make it a lifestyle just like any other gym . . .

also many people go get a membership elsewhere and never come, not just there
  • pain_is_weakness
    The commericals I have seen, not many but two i think I thought were more making fun of the people so self absorbed they didn't realize they were being rude or looking dumb by the way they acted things they said . . .but again i have only seen two. And If I were to flip it and they had 3 fat people sitting on a bench talking about how they did a full 10 minutes of cardio and "earned" that dozen donuts then ya i would laugh at that . . .I think it is more about the way you act not what you look like, and yes i have overheard people in the gym saying stuff like that and I did shake my head at them
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
  • HerkMeOff
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Their advertising is insulting and they discourage achievement

I wouldn't want a gym insulting anyone. CAN YOU IMAGINE??!!

Go to your meetings and sober up.

Been sober for awhile now, thanks!

So you just need more attention and are using your alcoholism as a sympathy crutch? Got it.

Even if that were true it's better than denying such a problem exists.
  • parisallez
    parisallez Posts: 30
    I don't have a prob with that gym. I don't go there because they have no squat rack. that's it. I love the 'BIG *kitten*' fan over the cardio machines. my wife and I laughed about how huge that thing is.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member

So you just need more attention and are using your alcoholism as a sympathy crutch? Got it.
    please stop.
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member

Ok, so, #7.

This was even in a weightlifting magazine!! Use the assisted pullup machine to do that motion to work on a single leg. I don't necessarily blame the guy, but I thought it was odd too...

Opinions?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member

please stop.

I didn't spend the day posting on my wall inciting friends to send PMs. I've had enough quite enough.

But you aren't even friends with him,..
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member

please stop.

I didn't spend the day posting on my wall inciting friends to send PMs. I've had enough quite enough.

Awww, can't handle nasty PMs? Maybe you shouldn't send them out in the first place.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    There's a lot of inside drama going on here. I'm curious but not that curious.
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    Lol at the drama ITT
  • HerkMeOff

please stop.

I didn't do that either.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    There's a lot of inside drama going on here. I'm curious but not that curious.

You dont want to know. It isnt worth it and a shame it has happened at all.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    wtf is going on?!?!
  • ncrugbyprop
    ncrugbyprop Posts: 96 Member
    Planet Fitness makes people very angry...