Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• ashley3367
    ashley3367 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love PF. I am a member and lost all of my weight there. I use the free personal training. I do however skip the pizza and bagel thing. I don't even go to the gym on those days. No need for temptation.

Good for you! I wanna join but I think the closest one to me is in Chattanooga....30-45 minutes away :/
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The only good thing about planet fitness is that it keeps the "bucket of crabs" people out of real gyms where people want to make real progress!

What does a "bucket of crabs" people mean?
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The only good thing about planet fitness is that it keeps the "bucket of crabs" people out of real gyms where people want to make real progress!
    So you're saying ppl that use PF don't make progress?
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    Options
    So you're saying ppl that use PF don't make progress?

That's what I was thinking he meant too!
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You can read the story of a bucket of crabs online. Basically, crabs pull each other down when one tries to escape the bucket. The people who blare the "lunk alarm" and run defamatory commercials and seek to demean fit people are these crabs. They actually kick fit people out of that "gym," which really doesn't help anyone. Many very nice, helpful fit people have helped me to grow and get better over the years. I have made a lot of progress because of fit people. But the culture at planet fitness is pathetic. That "lunk alarm" is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    You can read the story of a bucket of crabs online. Basically, crabs pull each other down when one tries to escape the bucket. The people who blare the "lunk alarm" and run defamatory commercials and seek to demean fit people are these crabs. They actually kick fit people out of that "gym," which really doesn't help anyone. Many very nice, helpful fit people have helped me to grow and get better over the years. I have made a lot of progress because of fit people. But the culture at planet fitness is pathetic. That "lunk alarm" is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Have you ever actually been to a PF?

Cause the 3-4 that I have been to are nothing like that...at all..
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You still didn't answer my question. ???? I worked for a "real" gym years ago part time for close to 6 years. It amazed me at how many ppl kept coming in, yet never changed their appearance. I think your theory is a lil distorted. For 10 bux a month, you can't beat it. It has everything i need. If i wanted to belong to a meat head gym, I would join one. Next!
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

Been called crabby, but never a crab. And I guess the 15lbs I have lost in the last 6 weeks isn't real progress :grumble:
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    Options

I've been at my PF for a little over two years and have yet to hear a "lunk alarm" go off. There are some pretty big boys in there and I have never seen one thrown out for being big. I'm happy with the place and for 10 bucks a month, you can't beat it.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Here we go again hating PF. If you don't like it, DON'T GO! I like it it for being a "non-gym" that you all think it is and serving pizza one night a month. Oh yeah, they do that to keep all of us that go there real fat. Oh, they don't force it down my throat either. Yes, PF is a "non-gym" and they should all be closed. Oh yeah, damn it, I was there this morning and had a Tootsie Roll on the way out. What a bad thing for a gym to do. Shame on them.

Did they tie you down and force you to eat that Tootsie Roll? If they did, I'd like video, please. :wink:
  • stevemcgurkin
    Options
    Meh.. I got a free shirt out of the few months I went. Doesn't take much to make me happy lol
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Hating on Planet Fitness is so 2012.

Blah blah we know you spend $50 more a month for a membership at a better gym. Well pin a rose on your nose.

I don't spend any money working out at home....

the OP didn't actually say anything at all about planet fitness... you seem to have assumed a lot.....
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Here we go again hating PF. If you don't like it, DON'T GO! I like it it for being a "non-gym" that you all think it is and serving pizza one night a month. Oh yeah, they do that to keep all of us that go there real fat. Oh, they don't force it down my throat either. Yes, PF is a "non-gym" and they should all be closed. Oh yeah, damn it, I was there this morning and had a Tootsie Roll on the way out. What a bad thing for a gym to do. Shame on them.

who exactly hated on planet fitness though? The OP didn't express an opinion about it...
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I find it hilarous how many PF users get butthurt over people "hating" on PF when the so-called "haters" opinion comes solely from the way the company markets itself....

I won't go there because their ads make it clear that I wouldn't be welcome at their gym.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    *shrug* My ONLY complaint is with the free weights. The only option for deadlifts and such above 50lbs is the Smith. On the other hand, there are some remarkably fit people at my PF, paying $10/month instead of 3 times that for the other gyms. Nobody gives them a hard time.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I love PF. Folks are so wrapped up into themselves, no one notices me creepin' with my camera phone on record.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

who exactly hated on planet fitness though? The OP didn't express an opinion about it...

In truth, I was being a little more "meta". The gif was a comment on Planet Fitness threads rather than the gym itself.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

In truth, I was being a little more "meta". The gif was a comment on Planet Fitness threads rather than the gym itself.

anatomy of PF threads:

1. someone posts an article about planet fitness

2. all the lunks (and I consider myself a lunk) post about why they don't like planet fitness

3. all the planet fitness regulars post about how great planet fitness is

3.5 someone posts about how hypocritical it is to call yourself a judgement free zone and then call people lunks and have a lunk alarm

4. the planet fitness regulars get angry with the lunks for disliking planet fitness without ever having been there

5. the lunks point out that their opinion comes from the anti-lunk ads that come from planet fitness's very own marketing department

5.5 someone else posts about how hypocritical it is to call yourself a judgement free zone and then call people lunks and have a lunk alarm

6. at least 1 lunk posts about how someone set off the lunk alarm because they grunted and/or dropped a weight and/or did a deadlift and/or looked pretty and how embarrassed and ashamed they felt

6.5 someone else posts about how hypocritical it is to call yourself a judgement free zone and then call people lunks and have a lunk alarm

7 at least 1 planet fitness regular posts about how they've gone there for 10 years and never once heard the lunk alarm even though they have free weights and big burly guys grunt and deadlift with them all the time

8. several planet fitness regulars post about how "gymtimidated" they feel in other gyms and how they feel safe in planet fitness

8.5 someone else posts about how hypocritical it is to call yourself a judgement free zone and then call people lunks and have a lunk alarm

9. several lunks post about how welcoming their meat head gym is to everyone and how obese people becoming regulars and getting in shape brings tears of joy to their eyes

9.5 someone else posts about how hypocritical it is to call yourself a judgement free zone and then call people lunks and have a lunk alarm

10. several other lunks state that "gymtimidation" is in the person's own mind and that everyone feels this to begin with and it's something that you just have to get over then you realise that people in meat head gyms are actually really nice people who just happen to like lifting heavy things and look super-hot for it

11. repeat until flame war ensues and the mods come and close the thread
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options

anatomy of PF threads:

1. someone posts an article about planet fitness

2. all the lunks (and I consider myself a lunk) post about why they don't like planet fitness

3. all the planet fitness regulars post about how great planet fitness is

3.5 someone posts about how hypocritical it is to call yourself a judgement free zone and then call people lunks and have a lunk alarm

4. the planet fitness regulars get angry with the lunks for disliking planet fitness without ever having been there

5. the lunks point out that their opinion comes from the anti-lunk ads that come from planet fitness's very own marketing department

5.5 someone else posts about how hypocritical it is to call yourself a judgement free zone and then call people lunks and have a lunk alarm

6. at least 1 lunk posts about how someone set off the lunk alarm because they grunted and/or dropped a weight and/or did a deadlift and/or looked pretty and how embarrassed and ashamed they felt

6.5 someone else posts about how hypocritical it is to call yourself a judgement free zone and then call people lunks and have a lunk alarm

7 at least 1 planet fitness regular posts about how they've gone there for 10 years and never once heard the lunk alarm even though they have free weights and big burly guys grunt and deadlift with them all the time

8. several planet fitness regulars post about how "gymtimidated" they feel in other gyms and how they feel safe in planet fitness

8.5 someone else posts about how hypocritical it is to call yourself a judgement free zone and then call people lunks and have a lunk alarm

9. several lunks post about how welcoming their meat head gym is to everyone and how obese people becoming regulars and getting in shape brings tears of joy to their eyes

9.5 someone else posts about how hypocritical it is to call yourself a judgement free zone and then call people lunks and have a lunk alarm

10. several other lunks state that "gymtimidation" is in the person's own mind and that everyone feels this to begin with and it's something that you just have to get over then you realise that people in meat head gyms are actually really nice people who just happen to like lifting heavy things and look super-hot for it

11. repeat until flame war ensues and the mods come and close the thread

Beautiful :laugh:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Thank you, neandermagnon

My shepard's pie is now all over my computer screen.

Oh...and you forgot...

12. At least one person posts a pic of pizza or bagels.