Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    The BFD here is that this gym has caused problems for many people. What you're saying about go to another gym is all well and good for people who live in big cities, but what about people who live in small towns who have no other option for a place to work out? And no, it's not a gym.
    I don't see what the BFD is. It's a gym, it has weights and cardio equip. Who gives a shyt about anything else. if you don't like the gym, STFU and pay more money and go somewhere else. It's just that simple.

Explain to me why it's it's not a gym?

Every PF that I have been to you can do everything you can at any other gym...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The BFD here is that this gym has caused problems for many people. What you're saying about go to another gym is all well and good for people who live in big cities, but what about people who live in small towns who have no other option for a place to work out? And no, it's not a gym.
    I don't see what the BFD is. It's a gym, it has weights and cardio equip. Who gives a shyt about anything else. if you don't like the gym, STFU and pay more money and go somewhere else. It's just that simple.

Ask them to explain. It's the tag line in their commercials: "we're not a gym. We're Planet Fitness."
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

Umm, then they don't join a gym. If PF weren't there, there STILL wouldn't be another gym for them to join, according to your logic. So again, what's the BFD?
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of PF since the beginning of the year. It's cheap, and it's five minutes from my house. That suits me just fine!
  • HerkMeOff
    Options
    I've been a member of PF since the beginning of the year. It's cheap, and it's five minutes from my house. That suits me just fine!

You appear to be in pretty decent shape, they haven't kicked you out yet??
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options

You appear to be in pretty decent shape, they haven't kicked you out yet??

Nope......haven't set off the Lunk Alarm yet..........but i'm trying.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons for that is that, much like Wal-Mart puts mom and pop shops out of business, PF puts small gyms out of business. In many places, all there is is a PF (which used to be another gym, a REAL gym where everyone was welcome).

Umm, then they don't join a gym. If PF weren't there, there STILL wouldn't be another gym for them to join, according to your logic. So again, what's the BFD?
  • HerkMeOff
    Options
    One of the reasons for that is that, much like Wal-Mart puts mom and pop shops out of business, PF puts small gyms out of business. In many places, all there is is a PF (which used to be another gym, a REAL gym where everyone was welcome).

I'm confused.

How does PF just move into a gym that's already there and put them out of business?

I think I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't think it's very sound logic..
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Ask them to explain. It's the tag line in their commercials: "we're not a gym. We're Planet Fitness."

^^^ this

lol @ planet fitness fans complaining that people say it's not a gym........... it's planet fitness that say they're not a gym.

"and *that's* why I don't like gyms!" "we're not a gym, were planet fitness!" <---- on so many of their ads
  • HerkMeOff
    Options

^^^ this

lol @ planet fitness fans complaining that people say it's not a gym........... it's planet fitness that say they're not a gym.

"and *that's* why I don't like gyms!" "we're not a gym, were planet fitness!" <---- on so many of their ads

It's still a gym...
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

So if it's not a gym, what is it? I'd love to know where I have been going to work out, lose weight and get in shape.:noway:
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    It's their marketing that puts people off.

If Gold's Gym went around and said "join us, no undisciplined fatties here, we kick out people who don't look great"...they'd get a lot of flack too.

Making a gym that caters to the less serious people in the fitness/physique community is a great marketing decision.Antagonizing the other side....not cool.
  • likitisplit
    Options

So if it's not a gym, what is it? I'd love to know where I have been going to work out, lose weight and get in shape.:noway:

"It's Planet Fitness"
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options

That's what I'd like to know! I guess I haven't been working out in a real gym the last few years! BTW, nice looking Boulevard! I have a Yamaha Roadliner. Happy and safe riding! :)
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's a shame we have all these people yimmer yammering about their market strategy.
    All I needed was the $19.99 a month billboard.

and mr crabby bucket could use their tanning beds.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    it's interesting how this dumpster fire is still smoldering after all this time....
  • neandermagnon
    Options

That's what I'd like to know! I guess I haven't been working out in a real gym the last few years! BTW, nice looking Boulevard! I have a Yamaha Roadliner. Happy and safe riding! :)

well, why don't you write and ask their advertising executives to explain why it's not a gym, because their ads all say "we're not a gym, we're planet fitness"
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

well, why don't you write and ask their advertising executives to explain why it's not a gym, because their ads all say "we're not a gym, we're planet fitness"

No need to write them because even a neander "thal" can understand that they are trying to differentiate their brand from the average gym and what people think about when they think "gym". It is used quite frequently in advertising "We are not (the type of product), we are (the brand name)". It is a way to brand a product.
  • likitisplit
    Options

No need to write them because even a neander "thal" can understand that they are trying to differentiate their brand from the average gym and what people think about when they think "gym". It is used quite frequently in advertising "We are not (the type of product), we are (the brand name)". It is a way to brand a product.

Didn't Xerox do a "we're not a copier, we're Xerox"? but when they did that campaign, they were trying to demonstrate how they were MORE than a copier company...not less.