Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    My PF must be the only one in the country where that crap doesn't happen. We have people dressed in tiny shorts or tanks or compression tights. We have very fit "muscle heads" (even a few females) and quite large people and everything in between. We have gaggles of ladies who treat their workout as social hour and we have people who get in and get down to business and take it seriously.

My only complaint is the lack of heavy free weight barbells. I want to deadlift, and my PF only has fixed barbells up to 60 lbs. The Smith works for other stuff, although not ideal, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to deadlift the Smith. Stupid safety stops!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Can I see your beef?
    I dont know how to respond to that. :laugh:
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    My PF must be the only one in the country where that crap doesn't happen. We have people dressed in tiny shorts or tanks or compression tights. We have very fit "muscle heads" (even a few females) and quite large people and everything in between. We have gaggles of ladies who treat their workout as social hour and we have people who get in and get down to business and take it seriously.

My only complaint is the lack of heavy free weight barbells. I want to deadlift, and my PF only has fixed barbells up to 60 lbs. The Smith works for other stuff, although not ideal, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to deadlift the Smith. Stupid safety stops!

I thought deadlifts were a no no at PF
  • laratacita
    laratacita Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Is this going to be another thread that promises lots of entertaining drama that will only get pulled as soon as a moderator realizes it?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

I thought deadlifts were a no no at PF

The trainer at mine said he would never tell me not to deadlift, because it's one of the best exercises out there. I love that guy.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    But as a fitness minded person Cupcake and I know you are why would you a support a gym thats so anti-fitness?
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    I don't like Golds Gym. As a result, I don't go there or start threads about it.
    I don't like Jazzercise. As a result, I don't do it or start threads about it.
    I don't like crunchy peanut butter. As a result, I don't eat it or start threads about it.
    I don't like unicycles. As a result, I don't rude one or start threads about it,

But, it does seam that people who don't like Planet Fitness LOVE to start threads about it.
    I wonder why that is?
    Maybe they feed off negetivity?

PF's marketing encourages these discussions, probably engineers the controversy. From what I can tell, there are a few PFs that occasionally do semi-outrageous bannings of a person or a certain type of lift to get in the news. People are outraged, but then its found that this seems to be an isolated case. Things die down, then they stir things up with ads and statements about "lunks", people post a hate/discussion/argument thread, it kinda peters out...then after a while a new "issue" is created banning someone or something thats not really banworthy...etc
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    But as a fitness minded person Cupcake and I know you are why would you a support a gym thats so anti-fitness?

I don't see them as being anti-fitness, just ridiculous in their marketing with the "no judgment zone" motto. Not all Planet Fitness locations are the same. Most of the staff at my location are very knowledgeable about the equipment, and I'm pretty sure their lunk alarm isn't connected, because it should've gone off several times already. I think the deadlifting thing had to do with insurance, according to the trainer, but he said he would never tell me not to do it. Also, it was a Christmas gift from my bff so she wouldn't have to go by herself, so I'm not paying for it. Honestly, I never really paid attention to the ads until I started seeing the posts bashing them here.
  • Chrissy8172
    Chrissy8172 Posts: 29
    Options
    tumblr_l9nrruLSKG1qe0qyho1_500.gif

HAHAHAHHA I love you for this gif. It's Always Sunny is perfect in every situation.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I don't like Golds Gym. As a result, I don't go there or start threads about it.
    I don't like Jazzercise. As a result, I don't do it or start threads about it.
    I don't like crunchy peanut butter. As a result, I don't eat it or start threads about it.
    I don't like unicycles. As a result, I don't rude one or start threads about it,

But, it does seam that people who don't like Planet Fitness LOVE to start threads about it.
    I wonder why that is?
    Maybe they feed off negetivity?
    You don’t like crunchy peanut butter??! What is wrong with you :wink:
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I don't see what the BFD is. It's a gym, it has weights and cardio equip. Who gives a shyt about anything else. if you don't like the gym, STFU and pay more money and go somewhere else. It's just that simple.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    tumblr_l9nrruLSKG1qe0qyho1_500.gif

HAHAHAHHA I love you for this gif. It's Always Sunny is perfect in every situation.

I didn't realize the source and had to look it up. Does seem particularly apropos.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I don't see what the BFD is. It's a gym, it has weights and cardio equip. Who gives a shyt about anything else. if you don't like the gym, STFU and pay more money and go somewhere else. It's just that simple.

The point of my post is that nobody can resist stating their opinion about PF. So any thread started on the subject devolves into a dumpster fire by page 2.

And, for the record, I pay $0.00 per month for my gym.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If planet fitness were really *really* clever with their marketing, they'd also have a chain of gyms for serious lifters and market them as the gym for people who hate planet fitness and put signs up saying "lunk alarm free zone" and "we like to hear you grunt and drop weights" and provide lots of mirrors and encourage people to wear clothes that show off their muscles. Maybe they could call it "planet muscle" - and someone could be discreetly stationed outside planet fitness, so when someone gets kicked out for being a "lunk" they're ushered into planet muscle instead.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The BFD here is that this gym has caused problems for many people. What you're saying about go to another gym is all well and good for people who live in big cities, but what about people who live in small towns who have no other option for a place to work out? And no, it's not a gym.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    If planet fitness were really *really* clever with their marketing, they'd also have a chain of gyms for serious lifters and market them as the gym for people who hate planet fitness and put signs up saying "lunk alarm free zone" and "we like to hear you grunt and drop weights" and provide lots of mirrors and encourage people to wear clothes that show off their muscles. Maybe they could call it "planet muscle" - and someone could be discreetly stationed outside planet fitness, so when someone gets kicked out for being a "lunk" they're ushered into planet muscle instead.

That made me snort! And they do have two completely mirrored walls in the weights section, at my location anyway. Plenty of grunting, and noises I would expect from the bedroom, not the weight room. :laugh:
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    If you want a cheap, truly judgement free zone.. Go Crunch. Same monthly price, same great cardio equipment only it also has a fully stocked weight section.. except for a power rack. no power rack makes me sad.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    If you want a cheap, truly judgement free zone.. Go Crunch. Same monthly price, same great cardio equipment only it also has a fully stocked weight section.. except for a power rack. no power rack makes me sad.

No Crunch here. I need 24 hour access as I work some topsy-turvy hours. My choices are the PF within walking distance of my house for $10 or the Rush across town for $30. I used to be with the Rush, and am considering rejoining only because PF lacks the free weight equipment I'm looking for, but I have a feeling my resolve may take a hit because of the locations, plus there's paying 3 times as much. That's an extra $240 a year. I have to ask myself if being able to deadlift, join classes, and sit in the steamroom are worth that.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I just wish my town had a gym we could join. :sad:
  • likitisplit
    Options

Unaffordable. Any gym needs a 70% no-show rate to survive.